IGNORED

EPA Approves E15 Ethanol

Freebird

Be careful what you put in your bikes. The EPA has now approved E15 Ethanol. At this time, they are saying that it is good for vehicles made in 2007 and later but they are saying that they will likely revise that to 2001 models and later.

MANY small and large engine manufacturers are warning that you should NOT use E15 in your vehicles because it will damage rubber parts and plastics and can cause fuel leaks.

Some environmental groups are even saying that it can cause increased pollution because ethanol contains only 66% the energy of gasoline so fuel mileage will likely suffer.

The good news is that, for now at least, it is voluntary and many stations are likely to not add pumps for it or switch over from the E10 that many currently sell. Still, some will likely do it and you don't want to put it in your motorcycles. I don't want it in my cars either.

It is absolutely crazy for them to do this. There was a story on the news earlier this week about meat prices going up due to the higher cost of corn. Looks like it is only going to get worse.

Let's not let this get political. I'm thinking that it probably will and will then have to be deleted but for now, I'm just saying to WATCH what you put into your gas tank.

I have started to use Shell prem. here in Calgary and Sunoco when in other provinces.

I have used Husky as they have a higher octane at 94 but it is expensive. here is a question.

can the first gen such as 1983 1200 engines, use a lower octane?

Or should I carry on using a premium grade. Cheers Mike R...:fishin:

I hope they will put a notice on the pump about the ethanol content. The only stations in California I've found with ethanol content are Shell stations. I stopped buying at Shell, than I found that all the gasoline sold in California contains 10% ethanol.

Used to work for a company that tried to promote the use of compressed natural gas in vehicles so I had several vehicles equipped to run on that. It was only about 10% less fuel efficient but what a noticeable reduction in power and mileage performance.

I have started to use Shell prem. here in Calgary and Sunoco when in other provinces.

I have used Husky as they have a higher octane at 94 but it is expensive. here is a question.

can the first gen such as 1983 1200 engines, use a lower octane?

Or should I carry on using a premium grade. Cheers Mike R...:fishin:

Mike:

Using regular is just fine in the 1st gens. I THINK it is even fine in the 2nd gens. Buying premium is a waste of money. For awhile I THOUGHT I was getting better mileage with a mid grade but it made no difference in the way it runs. I did a few tanks comparison this summer and there was no difference in mileage either.

Wayne

Mike:

Using regular is just fine in the 1st gens. I THINK it is even fine in the 2nd gens. Buying premium is a waste of money. For awhile I THOUGHT I was getting better mileage with a mid grade but it made no difference in the way it runs. I did a few tanks comparison this summer and there was no difference in mileage either.

Wayne

The only reason to run higher octane is to avoid the pinging of the valves if it doesn't ping don't pay the money for the higher octane

My '88 runs noticeably smoother and better gas mileage with premium.

I realize that this is an exception and not the norm.

Do some experimenting to see what your bike with your riding style likes best. Unless there is an obvious problem do not base your choice on just 3 or 4 tanks of fuel. Give it a fair test. Keep a note pad to write down the gallons and odometer to get exact numbers and not just a guess.

Guest scarylarry

I have use this and Star Tron....Both claim the same purpose...

I can't tell any difference in the 2

http://www.goldeagle.com/assets/product/Marine-Formula-STA-BIL_32oz_Ethanol_Treatment_22240.jpg

I have always kept records on my fuel mileage, lets me know when I got a problem. Anyway, the other day I was able to put 90 octane, ethanol free gas in the tank. What a difference. The bike ran better then it ever has, sounded better, and looking at my records, I got 41 mpg, on the interstate, doing 80mph, where I normally get only 36-37mpg. I plan on running another tankful of ethanol free gas through thebike again just to see if that holds true. I have added the star-tron to my fuel, and yes it seems to help my mileage but just a little, maybe a extra mile to the gallon. Ii have only been riding for 2 years, would like to know what you guys did for mileage on your RSV's before ethanol.

Unfortunately, the use of ethanol fuel blends have little to do with energy independence or air quality. If those were the goals, why not E100. Dragsters run well on it, wouldn't be hard to engineer autos to do the same.

The MTBE replacement argument is interesting since the MTBE that pollutes groundwater (as well as benzene,xylene, naphthalene and other petroleum constituents still present in gasoline) is from Leaking Underground Storage Tanks. So ethanol leaking from a UST doesn't pollute groundwater? Its been shown to cause problems/deterioration in custom built in Fiberglass fuel tanks in boats. It won't cause problems in Fiberglass USTs?

I have to stop now.

RSTDdog

See this post regarding E15 and the ?'s regarding it's use in our bikes.

I do know that the snowmobile community including the manufacturer's are very concerned on how it will affect both 2 & 4 stroke sled engines. They along with other classes of equipment and vehicles were actively trying to get EPA to do some actual testing to determine the effects that fuel would have on engine emissions and longevity before it was approved. Apparently that's not happening.

Here in Western NY it seems to be impossible to find ethanol free fuel at a regular pump now.

Up until about a few weeks ago United Refining of PA, Kwik Fill brand fuel had no ethanol in it and I was going out of my way to use that exclusively in all my vehicles. Now all thier pumps I have seen have the "contains 10% ethanol" sticker on them. I was told some time ago that all grades of pump gasoline had to have 10% ethanol by 1 Jan 2011 so I think we are out of luck.

(I think this is a Federal regulation).

FYI VP Racing Fuels has introduced a premium fuel at 94 octane that is ethanol free.

They call it SEF-94 for Small Engine Fuel, it is expensive as are almost all of the racing fuels. I am hearing numbers in the $8+ range per gallon range. It is supposedly packaged and sold in small quanities like 1, 5 and 55 gallon containers

Here is a link to the VP website with some information on it.

http://www.vpracingfuels.com/sef-94.html

Roger

Putting in an additive will not remove the ethanol that is there, the ethanol will still do its damage.

When they do the emissions tests they are only measuring the ppm (parts per million) of the pollutants. Yes adding the ethanol will make a given volume of exhaust gas cleaner.

What they do not want you to know, and they are sure that we are to dumb to figure out, is that the 10% ethanol makes your exhaust about 2% cleaner, but because you are burning 5% more fuel you are actually making more pollution per mile driven.

Okay I have a question about this as I am concerned with any wethanol in my vehicles.

Woud it be possible for an enterprising person to find a way to replace all the parts affected negatively by ethanol? I know this may be a noobie question but it seems there are some fairly smart folks on this forum and this could potentially be a solution. I know it may be cost prohibitive but I do not think ethanol is going away so what solutions are out there to "convert" to a more ethanol friendly fuel system?

Inside the left cover of the 1st gens is a sticker that reads "Regular leaded- Research 90 Octane" for fuel usage.......

I'm just sayin'

The only engines out there totally designed for ethanol are the Indy Racing League engines designed by Honda