IGNORED

Starter clutch.............

DragonRider

I think the starter clutch on my 1st gen is bad, what are the symptons......not engaging all the time, spinning freely when trying to start? Thats what it does, so would repairing the clutch on it be a remedy or should I change the whole thing?:doh::bang head:

I will be doing this when I pull the motor to fix 2nd gear. Sure wish that motor I was given had the starter with it.............but I am extremely lucky to have it, courtesy of Master Guns.............

Are you confusing the STARTER clutch with the clutch, because you don't have to pull the motor to fix the starter clutch. Left side of the bike Lots of help here for all of the work. I have the same symptoms and will be doing mine this winter. Check with Snaggletooth on a mod he promotes.

Edited by Zane
add to

Oh boy.....here it goes.

There is no real decent way to repair the engage. More than likely the hub itself is split. Springs can go bad and 72 tooth ring gear can scar up.

Things that happen....

Random hooking up so the motor catches once in a while.

Chattering noises where the rollers are skipping across the idler gear shoulder.

Down right nasty hammering noises as it gets worse.

And then the days when it catches the first time and does not hook up again when you are 300 miles from home.

The voice of experience. I've lost two of them.

Ya need to talke to Dano about his upgrade. Costs a little more than a OEM engage but you won't ever need to think about it again.

I've got a full season on mine, and I do a LOT of starts every day and it never lets me down.

Check it out. Won't regret it.

1st pic...split hub.

2nd pic....OEM engage.

3rd pic...Dano's upgrade. See the difference?

Mike

Pulling the motor to fix 2nd gear issue with a tranny from a 86.........mine is a 83, thats why the engine will be out of frame and everything done at that time.

Are you confusing the STARTER clutch with the clutch, because you don't have to pull the motor to fix the starter clutch. Left side of the bike Lots of help here for all of the work. I have the same symptoms and will be doing mine this winter. Check with Snaggletooth on a mod he promotes.

Pulling the motor to fix 2nd gear issue with a tranny from a 86.........mine is a 83, thats why the engine will be out of frame and everything done at that time.

Lewis,

You don't have to pull the motor off the frame to replace the starter clutch. I know because I just did it on my bike. Pull the stator cover then flywheel. The starter clutch is on the back side of flywheel. Not a bad repair took me about 10 minutes once I got the flywheel off. Requires a flywheel puller you can borrow/rent from auto zone.

If you will read the whole post, I am pulling the engine to do a 2nd gear fix, at the same time I will be doing everything else...............geeze................:bang head::bang head:

Lewis,

You don't have to pull the motor off the frame to replace the starter clutch. I know because I just did it on my bike. Pull the stator cover then flywheel. The starter clutch is on the back side of flywheel. Not a bad repair took me about 10 minutes once I got the flywheel off. Requires a flywheel puller you can borrow/rent from auto zone.

If you will read the whole post, I am pulling the engine to do a 2nd gear fix, at the same time I will be doing everything else...............geeze................:bang head::bang head:

THANK YOU Lewis!

i got it the first time, and i am almost deaf!

lol

just jt:missingtooth:

Lewis, if you're interested in fixing the starter clutch for the LAST time, PM me if you're interested in the mod. Squeeze developed it a couple of years ago, it handles everything up to a bored out 1600cc VMAX motor. I handle the mods for him here in the Americas. You can replace it with a new standard clutch, but it'll go bad in a few years at most and then you'll have to do it again.

Dano

As soon as I tear it down and find out what the problem is, I will get back to you. Just in case how much will is set me back................money is tight, but isnt it always...................

Lewis, if you're interested in fixing the starter clutch for the LAST time, PM me if you're interested in the mod. Squeeze developed it a couple of years ago, it handles everything up to a bored out 1600cc VMAX motor. I handle the mods for him here in the Americas. You can replace it with a new standard clutch, but it'll go bad in a few years at most and then you'll have to do it again.

Dano

You do have to pull the engine for that........ squeeze me.............. My bad

Sorry, I didn't mean to insult you considerable knowledge... just trying to be helpful

Now if you're going to pull the engine to do the starter clutch, maybe you should get second gear done while you're at it. Maybe it would be just as easy to change the whole engine if you can find one cheap, and then do the starter clutch while you have it out. I know where you can find an engine,,, would'nt be much effort or cost, fact is someone took delivery of it just recently.

Does this help????

Now, now Dragon, Don't be like that. There is a learning process here!

I have an engine, not sure if it runs, I am taking the tranny out and transplanting it...........:doh::doh::doh:

Now if you're going to pull the engine to do the starter clutch, maybe you should get second gear done while you're at it. Maybe it would be just as easy to change the whole engine if you can find one cheap, and then do the starter clutch while you have it out. I know where you can find an engine,,, would'nt be much effort or cost, fact is someone took delivery of it just recently.

Does this help????

As soon as I tear it down and find out what the problem is, I will get back to you. Just in case how much will is set me back................money is tight, but isnt it always...................

Hey Lewis, sorry so long for the reply. Since you'll be getting gaskets anyway for the whole engine, your cost would be $280 complete. Just need to send me the old rotor with the starter clutch still on it, theres a thin washer between it and the rotor I have to have to re-install. You'll get the new clutch and a new 72 tooth gear back in a nice package for direct bolt-on when you're ready. If you want to do it, give me a couple of weeks notice so I can have the parts on hand.

Dan