IGNORED

new tire low speed wobble problems

yogi

:225::sick:I HAVE 07 VENTURE THAT HAS 3000 MILES ON IT, I PICKED UP A NAIL IN THE REAR DUNLOP 404 AND DECIDED TO REPLACE BOTH TIRES WITH METZLERS, NOW WHEN YOU REACH ABOUT 35 MILES A HOUR I HAVE A WOBBLE. THE WOBBLES STAYS THROUGH 45 MILES A HOUR AND IS REAL BAD ON SLOWING DOWN FROM 45.THE BIKE ALSO JUST DOES NOT FEEL RIGHT AT ANY SPEED. DOES NOT SEEM TO BE THE TIRE AS THE DEALER HAS JUST REPLACED IT AGIAN AFTER ABOUT 15 MILES. HAVE TRIED DIFFERENT TIRE PRESSURES AND FORK PRESSURES. DEALER HAS BASICALLY THREW UP HIS HANDS WANTING ME TO TELL HIM WHAT TO DO.WITH ALL THE OTHER PROBLEMS I AM HAVING WITH THIS BIKE I JUST ABOUT READY TO CALL IT TRADED.I HAD NO HANDELING PROBLEMS UNTIL THE TIRE CHANGE. ANY HELP WILL SURE BE APPRECIATED.

The wobble especially on decel at those speeds sounds like the steering head bearings need adjusting. If you can lift the bike check the travel and bounce on the front end. Letting the front end go to one side on it's own to the stop and it should rebound slightly. There may be an article in the tech library on it.

Don't give up on the bike. Most problems like yours are due to dealer setup errors. BTW, keep a close eye on the Metzlers for cracking.

Could I ask why in hell you would buy Metslers with all the problems listed on this site relative to those tires? The splits, the blowouts, the poor performance.

I suspect you have yet another bad Metzler tire.

We have all found Avon to be a superior tire. You may want to try them.

Rear bearings could be an issue, do check that out seeing as you didn't have a problem before.

The steering head bearing work as a damper on the steering, if they are too loose anything at all that is not perfectly aligned will cause a wobble. Do check out the steering head and tighten it up a little. I think you'll be surprised at results, not just for getting rid of a wobble but also in total handling of the scoot.

Thanks For The Replies They Have Already Put 2 New Tires On The Front And Rebalanced Them,i Would Not Think It Is A Steer Head Tourqe Problem Because All Was Well Before The Tire Change.but I Will Suggest That To Them. I Bought Metzlers Because That Was All The Had And Did Not Want To Wait While They Ordered Tires Because I Was Supposed To Be Going To Biketober Fest That Friday.had I Known That They Were Not Going To Work On My Bike Until Thursday After They Got It Otuesday I Would Have Ordered Avons And Just Skipped Daytona .thanks For The Help I Will Relay These Suggestion To Them Because They Dont Seem To Know What To Do. Hard To Believe You Can Spend $300. On Your Bike And Make It Worse Than It Was. Thanks Again For The Replies. Yogibear

Avons aren't always the answer either. I replaced the Dunlops with Avons on two occations and both times have aquired the wobble. The stealer always replaced the tires and rectified the problem but I've marked Avon's outa my book as a replacement. I'll just stick with Dunlops but that's what life is all about, choices.

I had a similiar problem when the dealer installed a rear tire on the front. They are not made the same, the rear tires are stiffer they tell me.

Good luck

• 3 weeks later...

After A Month Now And 4 Front Tires And 2 Rears My Bike Is Now Somewhat Rideable. I Still Have A Small Shake Around 35 To 40 When You Relax The Grip On The Bars But Dealer Claims Yamaha Says That Is Normal Even Though It Did Not Do It Before. I Will Be Swapping Tires To Dunlops Or Avons In The Next Couple Of Weeks Because I Dont Feel Comfortable On These, And The Bike Just Does Not Feel Right.but Dealer Did Install I Basket During This Time Great Change Can Here Radio Now And Seems To Be Much Smoother. Yogi

My 2cts....a 2007 should not have the shakes at any speed! A dealer or Yamaha saying thats normal well.....something is wrong there Yogi. Any time I had a shake it was because of wrong tire pressure, loose steering head or cause the kid on the back was rockin to the music!

Thats not right 6 tires total and she still shakes a little??? Man that would make me a little touchy! It didnt do it before and shouldnt do it now.

Is the rear end lined up right? God...alll the other ideas have been given.

Tell the dealer to change them out to a different brand, I cant believe those were the only tires he had on hand to put on your bike, sounds to me like he was trying to sell you the high priced tires over what you wanted. For me, will always be Avons......on my 1st Gen, and will go on my Vstar 1300 when the time comes, if not sooner.

:bighug:

you guys with the wobble , when your dealer installs your tires do's he use a high speed balancer ? a snap on can tell if the tire is out of round or not installed rite , my steeler lets me watch when he balance my tires , my front was not installed rite , the high speed balancer found it , and dealer fixed it . a low speed balancer will not show a out of round tire .

• 5 months later...
Guest cwil2988

Seems like my owners manual states something about the Bridgestones being the only tires to use

In fact, I just dug it out, and it states "After extensive testing, only the tires listed below have been approved for this model by Yamaha Motors Ltd:

Front Tire: 150/80/16m/c 71H Bridgestone/g705g

Rear tire: 150/90/15m/c 74H Bridgestone/G702G"

Not sure if there is anything to that, or maybe just a plug for Bridgestone, or what, but it is something to maybe consider if these problems keep coming back:stirthepot:

Hummmmmmmmm:scratchchin:---there is a law---cant remember the name of it---that if they tell you what kind of filter you HAVE to use--------they have to provide it. Wonder if it would work with tires:whistling:?????:witch_brew: probably not---Buzz

I buy tires from Central Yamaha for my RSV. they are Avon.

I'm going for Avon WWW tires this next time.

I also have gotten tires from Tires Unlimited,

I buy from the one that has the best deal.

Central Yamaha has Avon in the store for sale.