IGNORED

Classified Ads

Freebird

Folks, I have been somewhat struggling with a decision lately in regard to our classified section. We had a person join as a trial member and then posted an ad in our classifieds for some patches. I may end up making the classifieds for supporting members only and even then, I don't want to have people joining at $12.00 per year only for the purpose of hawking their goods on our site. The fact is, if I allowed people to start using the site and our classifieds as a store at $12.00 per year, this would end up being nothing but a spam filled site and I just won't allow that to happen.

I just deleted the ad for patches in our classifieds and will be watching closely that it doesn't continue to happen. I block memberships here almost every day from spammers in China, India and other places that I know want nothing more than to spam our forum. It is a non-ending battle that requires me to be on constant lookout. Very rarely one will get through and we will see some spam posts but they are deleted quickly and those responsible are permanently banned from the site.

I was also made aware today of a site in Australia that has VentureRider patches listed for sale. I don't know who the actual person is behind the site but I have not authorized that our logo be used for any retail purpose outside of our own products listed here on the site in the VentureRider Merchandise forum area. I do vaguely remember a request from a member some time ago asking if he could use our logo and put the outline of Australia in the background. I had no problem with that for one's personal use but NOT to be sold.

There have been a few times over the years when I have received requests from members to reproduce our logo on their trailer or other items and I've never had a problem with that but again, that is for your own personal use ONLY. NOT to be reproduced and sold retail.

If you find our logo being sold on products outside of this site, please let me know and PLEASE do not purchase those items.

Boss Man:

I don't know where you find the time or energy, but man, I'm sure glad that you're here, and ever vigilant!

I recognize your struggle, and I feel for you. And I don't have a quick and easy answer for what you're facing right now. But....I agree with you entirely, I don't want to be faced with all kinds of spam and crap thrown at me, not only in the classifieds, but anywhere on this great site.

I think, at the end of the day, it is going to be a personal choice/decision made by you. And if you are really struggling with it, you have other resources to discuss it with, ie Squidley and the other monitors, whom you obviously trust.

Keep up the GREAT work that you do for us.....I don't think that a lot of us realize/understand the amount of time and effort that you put into this site....ultimately on OUR behalf.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

gunk:shock3:

....And I was just thinking today, about asking your permission to see about getting some flags made up, to sell to members.

I was thinking it because the guy who used to have them won't respond to emails anymore.

Of course, they would only be sold for the cost...and maybe a few extra bucks that will go straight to this site, as sort of a donation.

One question that might be asked is,,,,, does classified get used a lot, and how does it work for the sellers, do the sellers sell through our classifieds? If it's not used much, maybe we don't really need it. For myself, I rarely go there, but that's only me.

The other thing to consider is to only allow members that have been a member say for 3 months or more to be able to use the classified, that way if you want to join just to sell something, you'll give up before you get started.

....And I was just thinking today, about asking your permission to see about getting some flags made up, to sell to members.

I was thinking it because the guy who used to have them won't respond to emails anymore.

Of course, they would only be sold for the cost...and maybe a few extra bucks that will go straight to this site, as sort of a donation.

I am always open to that sort of thing. Just send me a PM and tell me what you have in mind.

How do you make the call on who is able to advertise and who is not?

It's usually not difficult to figure out. We have a few long time members here who do run small business on the side and list in the classifieds. I have no problem with that. They are established members, they are always here posting and assisting other members with problems and they are active in many ways. The ones I have a problem with are those that sign up as trial members, maybe even eventually join but are not active, never post, but just add their commercial products to the classifieds. Over the years there have been shoes, patches, electronics, all kinds of things. The classifieds are for personal use only with a few exceptions for established members. It may not seem fair but I do make that call and make it the best way that I can.

I see no problem with that, at all. In fact, I was a little surprised when you went to the 'supporting member' stuff, the classifieds weren't included in that...

+1 to being amazed at how you manage the time to administer this sucka!!

I could easily make it for supporting members only and that would filter some of it but would not keep somebody from joining for the sole purpose of selling stuff. $12.00 a year would be VERY cheap advertisement for somebody. The problem is, I really don't mind somebody joining as a trial member in order to list a nice bike, trailer, etc. that they may need to sell. It may well be exactly what one of our members has been looking for. It's a tough call.

One question that might be asked is,,,,, does classified get used a lot, and how does it work for the sellers, do the sellers sell through our classifieds? If it's not used much, maybe we don't really need it. For myself, I rarely go there, but that's only me.

The other thing to consider is to only allow members that have been a member say for 3 months or more to be able to use the classified, that way if you want to join just to sell something, you'll give up before you get started.

I think they get used a good bit. I know of a number of folks who have sold their bikes there. As for making people wait for a set amount of time, it goes back to my previous response. They may have something to list that is exactly what one of our members has been looking for. I really don't mind a trial member that is trying to sell his/her person bike or something just don't want vendors and dealers taking advantage of the situation.

Obviously this is just my

:2cents: but I'm all in favor of not being able to post anything on the classifieds until you are a paid member. There are a couple of other websites I belong to that you can't post anything in their classifieds until have been a member for over a month and have 20 posts. I dont disagree with that, I think it keeps people from just coming on here to sell something....there are no free lunches and this irritates me a bit.

Don,

You are one of the fairest people I know, and I absolutely look up to you. You 99% of the time follow your heart and I know you toil about decisions like this. My opinion is to make it so you have to be a paid member to post in the classifieds :soapbox:

Seems to me it would have to go on a case by case deal. If they list something for sale, they shouldn't have a few hundred of them, a personal sale would only have a couple, unless they are a dealer. Put a sales counter on new listings.:thumbsup2:

Well, I just changed it so that only supporting members can post to the classifieds. We'll try that for a while. I may add a "pay" section for outsiders who wish to post there but I don't expect it would get much use. Most of those who try to abuse the system are the same ones who wouldn't pay a dime to start with.

We do have some ads there now that were posted by trial members and/or expired members. I will not remove those but once they expire, that will be the end of them unless I change something in the future.

NO NO NO......NEVER publicly admit that the Squid Boy might be right. There is NOTHING right about that YOYO and in the rare case that he MAY make sense, you can almost be assured that Lonna was behind it. :whistling:

Now there's something I can agree with....:rasberry::rasberry::rasberry:

BOO

Any plans on deleting all the expired trial members?

Looking through the members list, I saw many that were no longer here. :usa:

No, really hadn't given it much thought but maybe I should. As least purge those expired members who haven't checked in for a long time.

Freebird.. I am a new trial member, but will definitely be joining as a member. I ride a 2001 RSTD and really enjoy the site. You're doing a great job and I agree with you 100%. Should be for member only. I was recommended to the site by a local member and look forward to meeting and riding with other members, especially from the east tennessee area. JIM from Knoxville. :thumbsup2::happy65::happy65::happy65::happy65:

Don, regarding the classifieds, I sure value this feature and check them often. More important, I sure like the way you think and even more, I value the way you take care of this site. In fact, your work and results amaze me. Finally, I think your changes are good.

NO NO NO......NEVER publicly admit that the Squid Boy might be right. There is NOTHING right about that YOYO and in the rare case that he MAY make sense, you can almost be assured that Lonna was behind it. :whistling:

Now there's something I can agree with....:rasberry::rasberry::rasberry:

BOO

I always know who my true friends are

:buttkick:

BTW Don....whats the morning temps up there in Ohio??

Obviously this is just my

:2cents: but I'm all in favor of not being able to post anything on the classifieds until you are a paid member. There are a couple of other websites I belong to that you can't post anything in their classifieds until have been a member for over a month and have 20 posts. I dont disagree with that, I think it keeps people from just coming on here to sell something....there are no free lunches and this irritates me a bit.

Don,

You are one of the fairest people I know, and I absolutely look up to you. You 99% of the time follow your heart and I know you toil about decisions like this. My opinion is to make it so you have to be a paid member to post in the classifieds :soapbox:

I totally agree!!!!!!!

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::2cents: