IGNORED

How many times have you dropped your RSTD???

75k miles on RSTD,,, Not yet?

Isn't that the answer for those who have not?

Dropped my R* twice, once stupid, once to avoid a idiot.

Never dropped my Strat, never will, sold it.

Haven't had time to drop the Venture,,, I woudn't dare.

Mike G in SC

Seeing you've tried three of them, how did you like the strat? Saw a couple come through town this afternoon on one with a trunk. It looked pretty nice. When I bought my RSTD, they a Strat for the same price and I had a hard time chosing. I wanted cruise and the ergonomics felt better on RSTD.

JFoster,

I got the Strat 8/09, kept it a year. During that year I rode my RSTD about 18k miles, the Strat about 4K and lent it out for another thousand.

It is a great machine, tons of power and great steering in the mountains. Geared good for the mountains. But my mountains are 3 hours away.

As for my normal riding, I never warmed up to it. It had Mustang seats. I felt like I was sitting on a phone pole with a saddle. I hated the handle bar reach. Felt the throttle was a bit raw and hirky-jerky. Lots of people love them, I was tickled to sell it.

Guess I got spoiled by the RSTD with Ultimate Seats. I sit in the Royal, sit on the Strat.

The throttling and gearing (up and down) on the Royal just feels good, not near so smooth on the Strat.

But I did lend it out several times to some friends who lost their Strat to the bank. They said it rode just like theirs and they would have bought it,,, if it wern't for that money thing.

I get a bit insulted when I hear people say the Strat Deluxe is the Venture of the future,,,, rubish. So with the uncertain future of the Venture, I now proudly got one as I sold the Strat. Now I have two really great machines (RSTD=daily commute & RSV=me and wife),,,, and I ride TO the mountains in comfort!

Mike G

Edited by Mike G in SC

Once at a gas station,just pushing ahead to go back the opposite way down the road,cut it too much and she just tipped over.The guy behind me helped me pick it up,Oh well so much for not doing dumb stuff when people are around.No damage it just rested on the floor board.

One night when I got home from work (I work 2nd shift) I tried to get off my Goldwing with out puttin the kick stand down.Thats not much fun,it sorta pinned me between the deck stairs and the bike,I hadda muster up all kinds of strength to get that up off my leg.No witnesses to that little fopah,I was a little sore the next day:bawling:

Hmmm, 20? Took "Ride Like A Pro" and dropped Roxie maybe five times in the class. Another five times in practicing afterward. Maybe five more times when it was traumatic to drop it, and now it isn't even traumatic so I don't count?

The worst was the time I dropped Roxie on the left side, then picked her up too far and dropped her on the right side since I went past vertical. At least I had the kick stand down for that second lift.

Or maybe it was when I got caught with approaching rain, so I stopped on a cambered shoulder to put on my rain gear. I was on the right side to be out of traffic and put my foot on the passenger floorboard as I put on my pants... and she just fell over towards me as I hopped away like an eejit with my rain britches down. I had stopped with not enough lean. Ugh.

I'll go make my $5 times # donation on payday. I'm not rich enough until then.

For all those drops, the only visible evidence is on the front engine guards. They do their job. I don't think any future buyer will object if I own up to a drop or two. Seems like most folks are more proud to proclaim that the bike has never been ridden in the rain. Shucks, I have probably 3000 miles in the rain, entire days in the rain. She's a touring bike and sometimes there's weather between here and there.

Dave

Guest PlaneCrazy

I dropped mine the day after I bought it :( Only bike I have ever let down while i was on it.

I have this weird way I park my bike. I live in a row house and have a very small backyard with a shed that I park in, so I have to drive up a walking path and behind my home on a grass strip 10 feet wide, then do a sharp turn into my yard through a gate. No room to turn around so I come straight in. Then when I leave, I roll backwards out the shed and down through the gate and turn slightly on the grassy area. Then I fire it up and pull out in a turn.

Well, My RSV isn't a Shadow, lol! I first found out that I can't turn it enough to drive straight out, so I have to do sort of a 3-point turn. The first day I was doing this, i was looking over my shoulder and didn't notice the bike lean a little far and next thing I know, I am trying to hold it up... Well, the bike won. :whistling:

It was awesome though how the roll bars held the bike at such a high angle. It was on grass and when I righted the bike, there wasn't even a grass stain on the bars :)

Just once!!! :confused24: On our way home, on the last day of a long trip down to the east coast. Fully loaded with luggage and roll bag. Pulled into a road side stop for gas and a much needed brake off the 401 just west of Toronto. Went to park after a sharp turn and .......... down I went. Wasn't really moving at the time. I was just beat and didn't have the energy (mentally or phyisically) to hold it up. Was smart enough to tuck and roll as they say. The first I did was jump up, look around to see if anyone seen the bone head lying on the ground beside his bike. Thankfully only one couple looked over at me. My riding buddy helped me set it back up and checked for damage. Nada!!! Lesson learned I guess..... when your tired like that,:no-no-no: just pull into a spot and park it.

3 times! Once on gravel, twice on grass. Each time I had her turned a little to far while going slow! The first time my girlfriend went and found someone to help me lift her out of the gravel. Really was not embarrassed and sort of glad it finally happened! The second time my daughter helped me lift her. She was very anxious that I hurt myself. I think she considered me old!? The third time was in wet grass, About 5 in the morning, dark, getting ready to head to work. No one around and did not feel like waking neighbors for help. I managed to get her up on my own without a hernia. Really do not want to do that ever again!

Have a broken engine cover to show for it. But unless I point it out the break is unnoticeable! Bought Carbon Ones cattle guard braces to alleviate any future damage but hopefully the 3rd time is the charm! I now put a little more consideration into what I am doing at slow speed in the grass or in the gravel! Being an Aggie, it takes at least 3 lessons to sink in!!!

2005 RSTD, owned since September 2004....bike never been dropped until this year....4 times :(

twice while trying to turn around on a narrow uphill gravel road.....understandable right?

at the car wash, slight down hill slope rolled off the side stand, swore I had left in in gear!

in my garage, rolling backwards and got away from me, laying tight to the wall it took 3 of us to lift if back up

4 times this year!

But I'll make excuses here. First summer of riding in close to 20 years and twice was due to mechanical issues.

1. About a week after I got it....I went to turn a sharp bend in private cottage laneway and the front wheel washed out in sandy soil.:doh:
  2. the clutch started grabbing really badly during a ride.(got a leak somewhere!) Trying to limp home on back roads I came to stop sign where gravel road met paved road. I was going to roll thru it but at the last minute saw a car coming. I had the front wheel turned and when braked the front slid out due to the gravel on the pavement. Gravel under my feet too so I just couldn't keep it up.:sign07:
  3. Same laneway as #1. Had a gate just off the road, a bit uphill. Had the front turned again and stopped and it came over to left. (I have learned to try and get it straight THEN stop!!!!)
  4. The battery died. I was trying to bump start it by myself. Got it rolling and when I went to jump on...my foot hung up on the trunk box. I got back on my feet but the bike was off balance.:bang head:

Every time the bike has gone down on the left side. And it has been more like laying it down rather than falling over.... but THANK GOODNESS for crash bars! No damage except for the last one that scratched the bar a bit

• 6 months later...

Hmmmmmmmmmmm I forgot I posted to this thread.Well I can no longer say I haven't dropped it. I have now dropped it a total of once but that was enough.When I was done dropping it the insurance company totaled it.:depressed: I waited 12 years for that bike and now it"s gone.But I got a real nice RSV for the settlement.A 2008 S model with only 509 miles on it.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm I forgot I posted to this thread.Well I can no longer say I haven't dropped it. I have now dropped it a total of once but that was enough.When I was done dropping it the insurance company totaled it.:depressed: I waited 12 years for that bike and now it"s gone.But I got a real nice RSV for the settlement.A 2008 S model with only 509 miles on it.

DANNNNGGGGG!!!!!! :shock3: Totaled??? Just from how high did you drop it??? :confused24: