IGNORED

Favorite Quote from a Harley Rider...

Motorpig

While speaking with a lifetime Harley Rider he told me the best thing about owning a Harley...

You get to meet a lot of great tow truck drivers!

(true story...of course i met him at work as he was on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck...)

:cop:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While speaking with a lifetime Harley Rider he told me the best thing about owning a Harley...

(true story...of course i met him at work as he was on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck...)

This is absolute BS. I've owned Harleys since the the early 60s and never had one towed or trailered due to it breaking down. I've also owned a hellofa lot of foreign made and I can't say the same for those. As a matter of fact, if my HD ever needs to go to the shop, they will pick it up for FREE and deliver it back to my home for free. Show me a Yamaha dealer that will do that.

I rode Old School Hardleys. The "Newest" one I had was a 56 Pan. I gave up on Hardleys because I got tired of sitting beside the road waiting for someone to come and get me. I built most of these bikes. Maybe it was just me?? Hardley has came a long ways since those days. Not the same bike. And they sure are Purty. Some of them even sound good but I don't care for the real loud sound anymore. And got to mention the Price Tag on anything with Hardley on it is crazy. I'll stick with my 1st Gens and won't have to worry about the Stealers. OK I'm done.

A friend of mine just bought a brand new Harley. He was totaly impressed with the Harley dealer. The dealer gave him a $200.00 gift cert because his bike broke down on the road. It had 6000k on it, or just over 3000 miles. He missed the fact that the drive belt should not break in that short a distance.

He also said that although my VR could run rings around his Harley all the girls would flock to his bike. Ain't seen it happen yet.

I was thinking I should follow him and give the girls a ride home when he breaks down, but first he has to get a girl.

It's still funny. :rotf::rotf:

I rode Old School Hardleys. The "Newest" one I had was a 56 Pan. I gave up on Hardleys because I got tired of sitting beside the road waiting for someone to come and get me. I built most of these bikes. Maybe it was just me?? Hardley has came a long ways since those days. Not the same bike. And they sure are Purty. Some of them even sound good but I don't care for the real loud sound anymore. And got to mention the Price Tag on anything with Hardley on it is crazy. I'll stick with my 1st Gens and won't have to worry about the Stealers. OK I'm done.

OMG, 1956 was 54 years ago. You are right though, they are IMHO one of the most beautiful every made and they do sound great; not tinny like ??????

A friend of mine just bought a brand new Harley. He was totaly impressed with the Harley dealer. The dealer gave him a $200.00 gift cert because his bike broke down on the road. It had 6000k on it, or just over 3000 miles. He missed the fact that the drive belt should not break in that short a distance.

He also said that although my VR could run rings around his Harley all the girls would flock to his bike. Ain't seen it happen yet.

I was thinking I should follow him and give the girls a ride home when he breaks down, but first he has to get a girl.

The final drive belt on my Ultra has over 30 k miles and looks as good as new. Interesting. And not a bit of whining anywhere, too?

Sure he isnt on a RB?

OMG, 1956 was 54 years ago. You are right though, they are IMHO one of the most beautiful every made and they do sound great; not tinny like ??????

And I'm only 39!!!

Mine was Rigid frame, raked 47 degrees with a twisted tube chrome 16 inch over Grundy Front end. 14 inch Ape Hangers. No shocks and only rear brake. Chrome spoke wheels a B to clean. Candy Apple Red with Gold Metal Flake. I've seen girls fight for the back seat. It did have a nice King/Queen that kind of flowed up the Sissy Bar.

I've owned 4 bikes, all metric. Kawasaki Nomad left my wife and I stranded with busted gears 500 miles from home(a lot of stress)...never owned a Harley but if I do I will buy the extended warranty cause we do a lot of miles and peace of mind is a good thing!

Quote:

"This is absolute BS. I've owned Harleys since the the early 60s and never had one towed or trailered due to it breaking down. I've also owned a hellofa lot of foreign made and I can't say the same for those."

1) Expo '67, Montreal. Me on '60 BMW, pal on'63 Harley, headed back to northern Ohio. Had to stay over in Buffalo, NY to get a bent push rod replaced. (No, not on the Beemer).

2) 1973, From Ohio to motorcycle speed week, Daytona. Me on 1970 Honda CB 750, same pal on (?year) Harley. The evening we got into Florida we had to drive by the lights of the Honda. Next day had to have a Harley shop replace battery, regulator, generator.

Me, I just had fun riding, part of the time with a passenger. Him, after we got home he went out and bought a Moto Guzzi.. Just sayin'.

With all this going back and forth, I couldn't resist this.

Definition of a Harley: The most efficient way to convert gasoline to noise without affecting horsepower.

Everybody makes fun of Harley's but in my experience if they could, they'd have one. Guess what, they don't whine, don't have cassettes, are fuel injected and the newer Venture kinda were designed to look like them, just cheaper copies. I, too, couldn't resist.

This is absolute BS. I've owned Harleys since the the early 60s and never had one towed or trailered due to it breaking down. I've also owned a hellofa lot of foreign made and I can't say the same for those. As a matter of fact, if my HD ever needs to go to the shop, they will pick it up for FREE and deliver it back to my home for free. Show me a Yamaha dealer that will do that.

Well first of all it's a fact that Harley's were junk back in the 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's, so i find it very hard to believe that you have had absolutely no problems out of those older HD's, especially in the AMF days. If you didn't have any trouble then you were extremely fortunate. I do however think that they are better than they used to be but they still aren't as good as the Jap bikes, and they never will be because HD is too worried about selling an image instead of a good motorcycle.

Second, it is a proven fact that foreign cars and motorcycles are far superior in every way to American cars and motorcycles in every way.

Last but not least, they are not picking your bike up for free and i cannot believe you even think that for one minute. They charge you three times as much for the service, that's where they get their tow money back out of you.

"Top"...this is a venture board...its ok...you can go to the harley board and make fun of our whiny bikes that have cassette decks...heck, im sure you could pick the venutre apart if you want to...but the reality of it is....you must be riding the "exception" to the harley "rule"...congratulations!!!

OohRah and Semper Gumby!

Edited by Motorpig

Everybody makes fun of Harley's but in my experience if they could, they'd have one. Guess what, they don't whine, don't have cassettes, are fuel injected and the newer Venture kinda were designed to look like them, just cheaper copies. I, too, couldn't resist.

I could have! and I DON'T

I have been driving tow trucks since 1983 and I cant count how many broke down harleys i have towed but i can tell you I have only towed two imports and one of them was because they ran over a bolt and got a flat.

In my book that dose not say alot for harley reliability.

I have owned a new one and it was more trouble than it was worth and all the work was done at the dealer.

Ill never own another. It was definitely half the bike at twice the price.

As a matter of fact, if my HD ever needs to go to the shop, they will pick it up for FREE and deliver it back to my home for free. Show me a Yamaha dealer that will do that.

Well, show me THE Harley Dealer that does that ! :rotf: Do you believe this yourself ? :rotf: :rotf: :witch_brew:

I don't know about that! I ride with a lot of x-Harley bikers

There's millions of Harleys on the road...some are gonna break! On this board alone I have counted a few people having troubles with their RSV's. A couple simply fed up...It all comes down to percentages. Seem's there are a number of RSV owners pining for GW's...:doh:

I kept getting told about how bullet proof the 1500 Nomad engine/tranny was. Didn't do me any good 500 miles from home!

I'm not unhappy with my ride...just trying to see the balance.