IGNORED

Skydoc_17......you asked...you got it.

Ok, this is pretty much a story of cause and effect. Earl and Dano know what happend but now I think I can explain why it happend.

About a week ago I had an electrical problem. Lost my charging system out on a ride. Voltage was dropping like a rock but I was able to get it back home before I lost power. (thank you DEKA AGM)

When I got home I saw smoke coming out from the left side by the swing arm. Well, that is where the R/R is mounted. Tried to start the bike again in the garage and blew the main fuse. Long story short....tested the stator, a 2 year old Buckeye upgrade, looked for shorts in the wiring and found none. Replaced the main fuse and tested the system. Looked like everything else was fine.

Pulled the R/R I installed about 3 years ago. It was an aftermarket unit, (not the upgrade Shindengen upgrade), and it pretty much started to fall apart as I removed it. As you can see from the pics it is more square and thicker than the OEM unit so I had to fab up a new mounting bracket to hold it in place.

That was where I went wrong.

I lost my main fuse because the R/R shorted to ground. On a three year old quality unit....why? Not supposed to happen.

Looking at all the pieces now I'm pretty sure I know what happened. The new fabbed up mounting bracket left the new R/R hanging a bit lower than the OEM unit. I had room at the time and had no reason to be concerned about it. BUT.....about a year later I bought a new set of MAC pipes and installed them. Still had room for clearance on the R/R but it was closer to the MAC's than it was with the stock pipes. About 3/8 of an inch was all I had. And these things get warm all by themselves. Didn't need to add to that.

SO.... when I pulled the R/R off I saw the bottom section of the rubber electronics potting was burned and brittle. Pieces came off in my hand as I removed it. That was the section that was closest to the pipes. You can see the damage in the pics. Heat ....pure and simple.

I opend it up and the R/R is singed all the way through. So, in my opinion, I caused the failure by not making sure the unit had more distance away from the pipes.

If anybody else has a better explaination I'm open to your thoughts.

D'oh. Next time I'll have a better plan......:whistling:

Just call me Sparky.

Mike

Edited by Snaggletooth

Hey Mike,

I know that after a few 9000 RPM shifts on my 87'VR you could "fry an egg" on my Jardines, I say you found the problem, Sparky! I checked with my brother today, (electronic wiz) and that fuse holder is the "hot ticket item" to replace that main fuse holder. You are good to go.

I am glad that the extra backup R/R I had laying around found a good home. That is one of the best things about this site, riders helping riders!

I hope you get some good riding in over the Holiday weekend, :cool10:

Earl

Ok, this is pretty much a story of cause and effect. Earl and Dano know what happend but now I think I can explain why it happend.

About a week ago I had an electrical problem. Lost my charging system out on a ride. Voltage was dropping like a rock but I was able to get it back home before I lost power. (thank you DEKA AGM)

When I got home I saw smoke coming out from the left side by the swing arm. Well, that is where the R/R is mounted. Tried to start the bike again in the garage and blew the main fuse. Long story short....tested the stator, a 2 year old Buckeye upgrade, looked for shorts in the wiring and found none. Replaced the main fuse and tested the system. Looked like everything else was fine.

Pulled the R/R I installed about 3 years ago. It was an aftermarket unit, (not the upgrade Shindengen upgrade), and it pretty much started to fall apart as I removed it. As you can see from the pics it is more square and thicker than the OEM unit so I had to fab up a new mounting bracket to hold it in place.

That was where I went wrong.

I lost my main fuse because the R/R shorted to ground. On a three year old quality unit....why? Not supposed to happen.

Looking at all the pieces now I'm pretty sure I know what happened. The new fabbed up mounting bracket left the new R/R hanging a bit lower than the OEM unit. I had room at the time and had no reason to be concerned about it. BUT.....about a year later I bought a new set of MAC pipes and installed them. Still had room for clearance on the R/R but it was closer to the MAC's than it was with the stock pipes. About 3/8 of an inch was all I had. And these things get warm all by themselves. Didn't need to add to that.

SO.... when I pulled the R/R off I saw the bottom section of the rubber electronics potting was burned and brittle. Pieces came off in my hand as I removed it. That was the section that was closest to the pipes. You can see the damage in the pics. Heat ....pure and simple.

I opend it up and the R/R is singed all the way through. So, in my opinion, I caused the failure by not making sure the unit had more distance away from the pipes.

If anybody else has a better explaination I'm open to your thoughts.

D'oh. Next time I'll have a better plan......:whistling:

Just call me Sparky.

Mike

Houston we have a problem!

Hi Bill,

Yep.....my daughter loves the words "Going out for a spin." All get back these days is "See ya tomorrow."

She's learning.

I checked your profile to see if you had a pic of your bike but Dang!!! You look the kind of guy that carriers a big stick! Or are those just knee pucks for when ya lean into the curves?

I checked a lot of places around here for recovering on my original seat. Ran $250 to $350 for the seat and $100 to $150 for the back rest. And no....that wasn't leather either.

I was told about as place over here off of 84th that will redo one for about a $100 to $150. I'll check on the name.

I found a like new seat on eBay for $40.00.

Glad you're enjoying the bike.

Mike