IGNORED

1985 Maxim 750

a1bummer

What do you suppose a 1985 Yamaha Maxim 750 in good condition, with 16000 plus miles on it would sell for? A coworker has one that he is selling. He's hoping to get $1000 for it. He's had it for 12 years and has taken real good care of it. Always has been garaged. What do you guys think would be a fair price?

Thanks, Bill

In 85 the Maxim was only available in the U.S. in 700 cc models. Is this a Canadian bike or is the year wrong?

The 85 XJ700 Maxim was air cooled. There was also a water cooled version, the XJ700 Maxim X.

Two years ago I sold a very good 82 Maxim 650 for $1300. Took me a long time to get it.

I'd say 1,000 - 1,200 for a 700 Maxim. Add 2-300 for a Maxim X. If he can dig in and wait for the right buyer he might get a bit more.

Hey Bill,

Congrats on getting the bike.

Before I saw that you bought it, I was going to say that it's Sept and prices should/are going down every day here.

Be sure to sign up for one of the wisconsin technical school motorcycle courses.

Good course and good price.

There should be one near you.

Steve

Here are some pics of the better halves new scooter. Her birthday is next wee so we're calling it her b-day present. Now she needs to go through one of those rider courses you guys mention. It helps that she used to ride her brothers dirt bike when she was younger. I'll be taking it with her as well. It'll bring down my insurance %10. Plus we'll see what kind of bad habits I've learned over the years. I,m pretty sure I learn something new too. Probably something so obvious that it never crossed my mind. Then she won't have to partner up with a stranger either.

Bill

Thanks for the kudos. I plan on adding some bags and a highway bar to it for my better half. I'm gonna have to take her out and get her a better helmet and some other gear later.

So how do you tell if it's an "XJ" or an "X"? I'm just assuming it is an XJ. I haven't found a lot of information so far on the net yet that tells me for sure what the difference is. There's nothing on the side covers like most bikes to indicate what it is.

Here's a pic of the VIN sticker on the frame. There is an X all by itself in the middle of the VIN number, which leads me to think it may be the X.

I just don't know!

Bill

Well I see now, according to http://www.motoverse.com/tools/vinDecoder.asp, it's an XJ700

Woman's viewpoint here...

omg, it's cute as a button and red, my favorite color.http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz162/SunnyblueVR/smiles/ladybike.gif

Seriously, it is a sweet looking ride and a great price. Perfect size for a new rider to handle. You made a great decision. Congratulations to you both!

Have fun riding together!

Brandy

Thanks for the kudos. I plan on adding some bags and a highway bar to it for my better half. I'm gonna have to take her out and get her a better helmet and some other gear later.

So how do you tell if it's an "XJ" or an "X"? I'm just assuming it is an XJ. I haven't found a lot of information so far on the net yet that tells me for sure what the difference is. There's nothing on the side covers like most bikes to indicate what it is.

Here's a pic of the VIN sticker on the frame. There is an X all by itself in the middle of the VIN number, which leads me to think it may be the X.

I just don't know!

Bill

Well I see now, according to http://www.motoverse.com/tools/vinDecoder.asp, it's an XJ700

The Maxim X was water cooled, If I remember rite it had 5 valves per cyl. it was the more expensive model, I dont think yours is the Maxim X, I dont see the radiator. My buddy had one and we raced and swapped all the time, that was 25 yrs ago. I am sure a Maxim guy would be able to tell ya more. I always liked those bikes, had an 82 650maxim. Craig