IGNORED

Cars tailgateing bikes

BuckShot

In my area, most of the traveling is two-lane road with speed zone of 55mph. I will slow down in the passing zones to encourage them to pass, will motion for them to pass.

If they dont, I slow down to create the 4 second following distance between my back tire, and their front bumper. They take advantage of the next passing zone, and pass.

Remember people.... Safety First. :2132:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tailgating seems like it just an accepted way to drive now. Honestly I find that riders (mostly sport bikes) tailgate cars as if they were a new rear bumper accessory. I don't think that most people intend on being a nuisance and tailgate intentionally. After all, most people that drive cars are in a zombie-like state when they go to work day after day, same route, same traffic... Even if you shake up one tailgater, their will always be endless herds of them ready to fill their spot behind you.

Maybe they just need a 'friendly reminder' to say hey, please leave me some space, or your following dangerously close! I was thinking taking one of those scrolling LED signs (small but bright) and mounting it around my rear signals and pre-programming it with a number of messages that can be activated by a touch of a button. I figured that this would be an easy way to communicate with following driver(s) to be more mindful. I don't think it will work for everyone, but I think it might work for the majority. Just another crazy though in my head :nanner:

Under circumstances as described (2 lane country road) where there is little to no shoulder and there isn't really a safe place to pull off, I will stick with flashing my brake lights in the following pattern . . . _ _ _ . . .

I doubt anyone gets it, but hey - maybe someday. Repeating that a few times and if it is still a no go, I will flip on the hazards and GENTLY (but with the brake lights lit) slow down to say 10 mph or so under the posted speed limit (presuming it would be safe for them to pass - regardless of the roadway markings), and attempt to wave them around.

If I am driving in a more populated area I will slow slightly under the posted limit (or the safe travel speed) to give myself 2 or 3 times my normal 'comfort zone' between me and the next vehicle in front of me and just keep riding while keeping a sharp eye on the perp in the mirrors as well as constantly scanning for the 'out' just in case it is necessary (I say that, but really, It is good practice to do this ALL of the time, regardless of the circumstances).

I bid everyone safe dodging :happy34:

Tailgating seems like it just an accepted way to drive now. Honestly I find that riders (mostly sport bikes) tailgate cars as if they were a new rear bumper accessory. I don't think that most people intend on being a nuisance and tailgate intentionally. After all, most people that drive cars are in a zombie-like state when they go to work day after day, same route, same traffic... Even if you shake up one tailgater, their will always be endless herds of them ready to fill their spot behind you.

Maybe they just need a 'friendly reminder' to say hey, please leave me some space, or your following dangerously close! I was thinking taking one of those scrolling LED signs (small but bright) and mounting it around my rear signals and pre-programming it with a number of messages that can be activated by a touch of a button. I figured that this would be an easy way to communicate with following driver(s) to be more mindful. I don't think it will work for everyone, but I think it might work for the majority. Just another crazy though in my head :nanner:

Hey I like the LED sigh that is good looks like that could be my next project.:nanner:yea me to.

IIf you dont wave them by they either run you into a median full of mud or turn into you...........then he hits them to show them who is right.....................:bang head::bang head:.

I just pull over on the right side, slow down and wave them on when it is safe for them to pass.

Sometimes I will just slow down and wave my arm back toward them telling them to get off my butt..:thumbsup2:

Yep, and that'll get you tailgated.....

Read the whole sentence--It says---Yes,I will speed up to the legal limit and they still tailgate me.

People that tailgate are the one's being aggressive. I shouldn't have to drive 10 mph over the legal speed limit just to satisfy them.

It's a shame that I am not as physically in shape to stand up on the saddle and drop my britches...........Here's your sign !

BEER30

My pop just went up my nose !!! That's hilarious!!!

Seriously though. You want to piss me off??? Tailgate me. There is no excuse for it. Usually I tap the brake to flash the light a few times. If that does not work, I hand jesture with my thumb facing backwards telling them to back off. If that does not work I will get into the left lane if it's open, slow up and let them know just how unhappy I am. I have stopped at a light on two separate occasions, got off the bike and went back to their window and let them know. Once a Brighton cop was in the next lane two cars back. He just watched and let me speak my peice. It maybe immature on my part, but God help the idiot that decides to get out of their cage. Go ahead....hit me in the helmet....if you make it out of the car. Then, your all mine.

Read the whole sentence--It says---Yes,I will speed up to the legal limit and they still tailgate me.

People that tailgate are the one's being aggressive. I shouldn't have to drive 10 mph over the legal speed limit just to satisfy them.

Do you ever think of pulling over, and letting them by?? I'd like to know who goes the legal speed limit any more. Like I said that kind of an attitude will get you tailgated....

You have to understand when drivers tailgate you it is because they are constipated. They really do have to get somewhere fast. And being in their way is not a good idea. Knowing this, I just move over and let them go around.

Mike

It's a shame that I am not as physically in shape to stand up on the saddle and drop my britches...........Here's your sign !

BEER30

Maybe instead of the scrolling LED sign, a 20" LCD TV flips up from trunk and shows the, ah, missing britches.:whistling:

I heard Honda is working on this problem as we speak. It is 5 gallons of oil that is applied to the road by pushing yet another ego-plastic contoured button. These oil tanks will be tastefully disguised under more Tupperware at the rear of the saddlebags. Option price just another $1000.00 US. That ought to do it to any no good for nothing tailgaters!:rotfl::rotfl::D

I usually ride a little faster then posted. If someone is tailgating I will let them pass if it is convenient and safe. Not always the case. Recently on a two lane highway I had a guy riding my butt for several miles. We got to a stop light and I just turned and glared. He backed off. I honestly don't think he realized how close he was to me. I have problems with bikers as much as cages. I was on a one lane transition road from one highway to another. The road was a decreasing radius and I was riding two up. I think posted was something like 35 which I was doing. A HD passed me on the curve. I saw that he was going to do it. Had I not anticipated it and swerved three feet to my left, in my lane, we both would've been down.

I have been known to exhibit a little bit of road rage in the cage. I am MUCH more tolerant and forgiving on two wheels!

Truckers have a word for this, but it alludes me...

Goes something like this... They get right on your bumper, to tick you off and most of the time you speed up, which is what they wanted you to do all along. You see the person up front is going to eat the speeding ticket...They get a "free pass' at your expense.

Personally I will go up to 10 mph over although mostly only 5 mph over. If I can't hold the extreme left lane I move over one lane to the right. Never ride in the right lane as thats a good way to get run over as thats where people are entering and exiting.

If drivers are being overly aggressive get a description of them and car along with license plate. Either call it in over CB or your cell phone. If enough people did this the tailgaiting would stop.

Don't let them get to you as thats what they are trying to do. And remember your the one on the bike and if it comes to a fender bender your the one thats gonna get the short end of the stick.

Two years ago some skin heads up in OHIO ran a harley rider that was tring to pass off the road just for fun. Since the vehicles didn't touch no charges were filed. They said the harley rider lost control of his bike. Go figure...:puzzled:

Actually I'd like to have the technology the military is experimenting with.

It uses sound waves to desperse a crowd.

You could put it on the back of your bike, turn it on and if anyone got to close they would become extreemely uncomfortable and back off. The people to the sides wouldn't even hear it as its directional and confined to a limited path...:guitarist 2:

You could put it on the back of your bike, turn it on and if anyone got to close they would become extreemely uncomfortable and back off. The people to the sides wouldn't even hear it as its directional and confined to a limited path...:guitarist 2:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270575215728&rvr_id=132331944402&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=WXS%3F&GUID=81b986b412a0a06c1b71a9f1ffe97323&itemid=270575215728&ff4=263602_263622#ht_1949wt_1137

I try to let them go around by slowing down and getting into the right hand track for them to see around me. BEER30

Sorry but I see this as the wrong tactic. If you take the right track the car will pass you but be in YOUR lane. Puts you into an even more dangerous position. Always own your lane.

This doesn't always work though. Once on a two lane road I was in the left track of the roadway and a car passed me on the shoulder. He got the finger immediately !

Do you ever think of pulling over, and letting them by?? I'd like to know who goes the legal speed limit any more. Like I said that kind of an attitude will get you tailgated....

Yes-as previously stated, I have waved them around and they still tailgate,and won't pass.

And yes- I run the legal limit 85% of the time. If I do speed its 5 mph over and even on the expressways. I rarely go 10mph over on the expressways. The people that don't speed have as much right on the road as the one's that do. My attitude is great--Its the aggressive drivers that push it over the edge. Thats why when I have a chance to talk to them nicely and explain I do so. If they get into my s**t ---I give it back to them. If more drivers showed some common courtesy and drove reasonably and not acted like they own the road we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Sorry but I see this as the wrong tactic. If you take the right track the car will pass you but be in YOUR lane. Puts you into an even more dangerous position. Always own your lane.

This doesn't always work though. Once on a two lane road I was in the left track of the roadway and a car passed me on the shoulder. He got the finger immediately !

You failed to see my logic. Going to the right side track give the signal that is OK by me and I am prepared for you to pass, so-called being nice somewhat. That's when I deem necessary and also give the tailgater a more clear view of or if any traffic is forthcoming to view without myself obstructing forward site. If I don't want him to pass or deem it more unsafe , I'll even get into the opposing lane just to be a dickhead or to prevent an incident (not accident)! At least if one shows that they are willing to provide safe passage, one is more patient to hold their horses a little bit longer. It could be worse, stuck behind Farmer John on his old Massey Furgenson and extra wide plow and doesn't give a rat's hiney whom is behind him.

BEER30

According to Skid and Yammer I've already got something like that on my bike. I've got the Vance and Hines Tailgate Preventers.

I also very rarely exceed the legal speed limit as I'm more interested in getting good fuel mileage than setting land speed records. For me speeds above 65 mph does not make for a relaxing ride. Stuff happens way too fast if something goes wrong.

I also think pulling over and letting them by is probably the safest thing to do. Getting into a confrontation with a cage while on a bike is like signing a death wish.

Guest tx2sturgis

This works EVERYTIME, but you can only use this technique in certain circumstances.

Suppose its a 2 lane road, winding thru the country, with gentle curves, long straights, and several safe and marked passing zones, but the cage just WONT go around you. You speed up slightly to verify he is tailgating. You slow down slightly to encourage him to pass. Still there?

Ok..do this:

On the next safe passing zone, no opposing traffic, good view a mile or so ahead, no side roads where a car could be entering the road. Verify no one is directly behind him.

Check on him in your mirror, if hes still right there, quickly, and I mean INSTANTLY, cross steer into the opposing lane, (far side of that lane) hit the brakes, watch the surprised cager sail past on your right, and then pull in behind him. Not too close, he may react by hitting the brakes, accidently OR on purpose. But now you have cleared the idiot off your 'six'...

Works everytime I've tried it. Dont try this in a car, and if you do try it on a bike, do it quickly, do not hesitate, the cager COULD outbrake or outsteer you. Surprise is on your side if you do it FAST.