IGNORED

After 30 + years I finally did it - not for faint of heart

Hummingbird

I've been making saw dust in a serious manner for 30 years and have been playing at it since high school in 1958.

Well I let my guard down this afternoon for just a mili-second and believe me, that's all it takes. I know exactly how I did it, it was stupid - just dumb a$$ STUPID - :bang head:

Fortunately, it'll just require reconstructive surgery, an out patient thing I'm told, but none the less, I'll be NOT riding the bike for a week or so - maybe longer.

I just knicked the bone but obliterated the tendon - the Dr. said that can be fixed. That's a good thing, the down side is I don't know how involved it will be.

BTW - I was working on furniture for a show this fall.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

heh... almost looks like the open mouth of a shark after a viscious feeding frenzy!!

well, you're lucky that's all that happened, especially after so many years. Hope it heals well. Kindof a good reminder to the rest of us who like to play with such machinery to be always "on guard".

Well....after I finished throwing up, gagging and getting faint I took another look.

OUCH!

I guess that comes under the heading of :sign brain fart:

Hope you heal quick...although....as we get old we don't heal as fast

:stickpoke:

You done ok. I got one of those 3:00 am wake up calls a few years ago to come over to the in-laws house and find the Dad-In-Laws thumb.

Nuttin like an 85 year old insomniac with power tools. Geesh.

Looks like all the pieces are there so you should be in good shape. Might sting for a while though.

Heal well and heal fast.

Mike

For the benefit of another woodworker, how did it happen?

I am always careful, but I know it can happen to the best of us.

Table saw - I was cutting a 2" wide board, the scrap was 1/4" and I reached over to get the scrap so it wouldn't kick back - just wanted to knock it away from the blade. Done it a million times, but have ALWAYS reached PAST the blade to get it, until today. :bang head:

Lesson # 1 - never take your eyes away from your hands while the blade is still moving

Man, that's terrible! I truly feel sorry for you! Those photos say it all. It seems that no matter how careful we are, accidents happen. Having spent my working days in the construction trades, I've had my own and seen many bad accidents. I feel we're lucky to still be alive. I know it'll take time, but here's wishing you the best of luck with the operation and for a full recovery! Stay tough and hang in there!

Had them reattach one. Like you say it was stupid trick. As I was doing it I said

What Are You Doing That For??? If i ever cut off another I'll throw it away. It is still a pain.

I feel the same way, if I ever lose another one it's staying off.

Ride safe Bob.

Guest tx2sturgis

DAYUM! That hurt ME just looking at that!

In my best classic western, Indian-English accent: "HummingBird speak with forked THUMB".

:whistling:

Ok...I once drilled a hole in my index finger when a drill bit slipped. Had to put the drill in reverse to back it out of my finger. Yep...stuff like that hurts.

Good luck buddy.

I see you have a string tied around your finger, did you forget something? Another Smart A$$ of course.

I've been working in wood most of my adult life and cut many parts of my body, even nailed three fingers together a couple of years back but I gotta say, THAT'S NASTY.

BOO

Sorry to see that Dick, bet it hurts like hell. I've seen that in wood shops before. Hope it all goes well with the surgery and healing.

I bet you said a little more than AAArrrggghhh!!!!!!!!

Actually that never came to mind - too many other things kept me busy. ja ever try to get to a phone when 1 hand is useless and the other one is acting as a tourniquet ??

crap - now I went and got it seeping thru this massive bandage - can't work the mouse w/o getting that red stuff all over the mouse pad, mouse etc

gotta go -