IGNORED

Need some help / advice **quickly**

BigBear

We're in-route to Charlotte, NC (currently stuck in Statesboro, GA).

Got Avon Venoms front and rear. The rear tire (Avon venom) is starting to show cord...need to get a tire TODAY!

Dealerships are not open yet so I don;t know what tires are readily available today.

I'm not sure if I can get a Venom today...but...is it safe to put a mismatched tire (whatever brand is available that fits) on the rear today, then change out the tire when I get home????

Is that "unsafe"?

I personally don't think it's unsafe at all. A LOT of people run mismatched tires. I like to run them matched but have replaced a rear before and wanted a different brand than what I had but the front was still good. So I've gone ahead and bought what I wanted for the rear and ran the front until it needed changing. It has never caused me any problems at all.

In the last 30 years of riding I do not think I have ever had matched tires on a bike. The very few times that I laid down the bike it was never the fault of the tires.

This brings up some questions.

Did you ride that far on this trip to wear out a tire?

Is there some other problem with the bike that caused this tire to wear out?

Did you not do a good pretrip inspection to notice that the tire was low on tread?

Guest tx2sturgis

Your bike wont know or care what brand is printed on the sidewall. You might PREFER this tire over that one, but the bike wont be rendered unsafe if the handling is not 100% to your preferences. Buy a decent quality tire, not the cheapest one they have on hand. Just make sure you dont have bias at one end and radial at the other.

And as stated, the first hundred miles or so, take it easy, especially in the turns.

I personally don't think it's unsafe at all. A LOT of people run mismatched tires. I like to run them matched but have replaced a rear before and wanted a different brand than what I had but the front was still good. So I've gone ahead and bought what I wanted for the rear and ran the front until it needed changing. It has never caused me any problems at all.

:sign yeah that:

Thanks for the data..

Sounds like the Yamaha and Honda dealers don;t stock that size (150/90 B15) but could have a tire in Statesboro tomorrow (Tues) around lunchtime. They could have an Avon Venom in by noon tomorrow as well...so I'm gonna wait for the Venom!

As far as the pre-flight:

1) We've put about 400 miles on the bike yesterday...temps in the mid-upper 90s most of the ride

2) I don't "believe" there is a problem with the bike...and how would know or check for that? The bike tracks fine. I put these tires on approx 12 months ago, and have right around 14k miles on them.

3) Checked the tire pressure and tread before we left (usually check for FOD and tread once a week)...didn't see any wear bars...

We loaded the bike & trailer this morning, getting ready to head out. This is when we discovered the spot on the center of the tread where the cord is showing.

V7 Goose has stated before that Venoms go down very quickly at the end of the tread. You could look at the tire, in the morning, and think it would make 500 or more miles and within 150 or 200 miles you could be showing cord.

That's exactly what we saw....

Left early yesterday (Monday) tire looked fine...400 miles later...we see cord.

Tire still holding air...but Star roadside assistance will tow the bike to the dealer tomorrow to have the tire replaced.

We are just thankful we did NOT have a blowout....:337:

Not much to do here in Statesboro......

Hey Walt,

It's a LOT safer to run a mismatched tire than to run a tire with the cord showing! I think you made an excellent choice having the bike towed to the repair shop to have that tire replaced. Sometimes we misjudge the condition of replaceable items on our bikes like tires, brake pads, oil changes etc. But as soon as you realized you had an issue with that tire you stepped up and did the right thing instead of trying to "squeak out" the last few hundred miles and putting yourself, your passenger and everyone else on the road with you In danger. I commend you for being ever vigilant as to the condition of your equipment, you probably saved someone's life today!

I hope the rest of your trip goes without incident.:thumbsup2:

Earl

Reminds me of the chapter "140 miles to Tucumcari, New mexico on a May-Pop Metzler"from my epic story Sturgis and back , soon to be out as a full length movie. Part one finished at 2 hours long.

Evidently, from what I understand from my tire guy expert. pulling a trailer especially on super hot days really eats up the rear tire tread.

That's exactly what we saw....

Left early yesterday (Monday) tire looked fine...400 miles later...we see cord.

Tire still holding air...but Star roadside assistance will tow the bike to the dealer tomorrow to have the tire replaced.

We are just thankful we did NOT have a blowout....:337:

Not much to do here in Statesboro......

Guest tx2sturgis
Reminds me of the chapter "140 miles to Tucumcari, New mexico on a May-Pop Metzler"from my epic story Sturgis and back , soon to be out as a full length movie. Part one finished at 2 hours long.

Hey, Bob, where you been hiding?

:confused:

Hey, Bob, where you been hiding?

:confused:

Hey Brian, I've been around, lurking a little bit maybe, but still kicking. Life has been a little on the B*tchy side lately and has been keeping me busy dodgeing the B*tch slapping. Been thinking about you and Amarillo. How are the girls doing?

Guest tx2sturgis
Hey Brian, I've been around, lurking a little bit maybe, but still kicking. Life has been a little on the B*tchy side lately and has been keeping me busy dodgeing the B*tch slapping. Been thinking about you and Amarillo. How are the girls doing?

Attention: Hijacked Thread!

Hey we're all good over here in the flats. Heading out to Sturgis in a tad over a week...

Hopefully I wont have any corded tires to brag about!

:whistling:

Attention: Hijacked Thread!

Hey we're all good over here in the flats. Heading out to Sturgis in a tad over a week...

Hopefully I wont have any corded tires to brag about!

:whistling:

Wish I was riding with you to Sturgis but it doesn't look like I'm gonna make it this year. Have a great time and be safe.

Hey Walt,

I think you made an excellent choice having the bike towed to the repair shop to have that tire replaced. ... I commend you for being ever vigilant as to the condition of your equipment, you probably saved someone's life today!

I hope the rest of your trip goes without incident.:thumbsup2:

Earl

Thanks Skydoc_17!!!

Hey Walt,

Not trying to be critical here, but 14,000 miles on a set of motorcycle tires is a lot of miles. Many brands will only get you half of that.

I have been guilty of changing my tires way before they needed changed if I were taking a long trip, especially if I am taking the wife and the trailer.

Just some food for thought next time you are planning a trip, calculate the milage you expect to travel on the trip and add that that to the miles on your tires, if it is more than 12,000 to 13,000 miles I would consider changing them before I left.

I have been stuck on a trip for blown tires ond other malfunctions out of my control, so I know it is no fun.

take care on the rest of your trip.

Hey Walt,

Just some food for thought next time you are planning a trip, calculate the milage you expect to travel on the trip and add that that to the miles on your tires, if it is more than 12,000 to 13,000 miles I would consider changing them before I left.

Lesson learned!!!

Great advice...thanks Steve!

Guest Boomerbiker

14,000 on the rear Venom sounds about right. I just returned from a 4,300 mile trip to St. George, UT., knowing my rear had about 2000 miles remaining. Had a shop in St. George order the tire in advance and they didn't even require payment or a credit card in advance. Had it mounted while a friend and I wandered around the shop - total cost $205. Venoms are worth the wait.

Good luck.