IGNORED

To Wave or Not to Wave?

AKRefugee

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love motorcycles, and I love riding. Like many of you what first drew me to bikes was not just the experience of riding, but the feeling that I'd become part of a special community - a brotherhood, really. Nothing calms me more than a long ride down the interstate, waving to the members of my beloved clan. Except when I pass Harley guys. I hate Harley guys. Hate, hate, hate. When they pass me on the highway, you know what I do? I don't wave. With their little tassel handlebars and the studded luggage and the half helmets, they drive me crazy.

You know who else I hate? BMW guys. Oh, do I hate those guys. I don't wave at them either. They think they're so great, sitting all upright, with their 180 degree German engines. God, I hate them. They're almost as bad as those old guys on their touring motorcycles. You know what I call those bikes? "Two wheeled couches!" Get it? Because they're so big. They drive around like they have got all day. Appreciate the scenery somewhere else, Grandpa, and while your at it, I'm not waving to you.

Ducati guys - I don't wave at them either. Why they don't spend a little more money on their bikes? "You can have it in any color as long as it is red." Aren't you cool! Like they even know what a Desmo-whatever engine is, anyway. Try finding the battery, you Italian-wannabe racers! I never, ever wave at those guys.

Suzuki guys aren't much better, which is why I never wave at them, either. They always have those stupid helmets sitting on the top of their stupid heads, and God forbid they should ever wear any safety gear. They make me so mad. Sometimes they'll speed by and look over at me and you know what I do? I don't wave I just keep going. Please, don't get me started on Kawasaki guys. Ninjas? What are you, twelve years old? Team Green, my butt. I never wave at Kawasaki guys.

I ride a Venutre, and I'll only wave at Venture guys, but even then, I'll never wave at a guy in full leathers. Never, never, never. Yeah like you're going to get your knee down on the New York Thruway. Guys in full leathers will never get a wave from me, and by the way, neither will the guys in two piece leathers. And I'll tell you who else I'm not waving at - those guys with the helmets with loud paint jobs. Four pounds of paint on a two pound helmet - like I'm going to wave back at that! I'll also never wave at someone with a mirrored visor. Or helmet stickers. Or racing gloves. Or hiking boots.

To me, motorcycling is like a family, a close knit brotherhood of people who ride Ventures, wear jeans and a leather jacket (not Vanson) with regular gloves and a solid color helmet with a clear visor, no stickers, no racing gloves and regular boots (not Timberlands). And isn't that what really makes riding so special.:soapbox: :big-grin-emoticon:

Hey Muffinman,

You are safe he didn't say anything about pink chaps. :rotfl::rotfl:

You know, this waving thing is really beginning to catch on. Maybe we should start waving to cagers, then they might see us more often and not be so tempted to run us over. No no no not one finger waves either. Whole hand and friendly like...yes yes yes I like that idea.

:bighug:

Guest Zachtcb

I would guess more people point then wave. They must be laughing at me because I ride a harley.I wish I had tassles to match my leathers. Then I might get some waves.

Regards Zach

You know, this waving thing is really beginning to catch on. Maybe we should start waving to cagers, then they might see us more often and not be so tempted to run us over. No no no not one finger waves either. Whole hand and friendly like...yes yes yes I like that idea.

:bighug:

It won't work.

My HD has no turn signals so I have to use hand signals.

Lots of cagers wave (even though I'm not waving...I'm signalling)back to me right before they nearly run me over.

• 1 month later...

We wave at everybody, but not everyone waves back.

When I ride with my GoldWing riding brother, I am very surprised at how many people wave at me on the RSV but not at the GoldWing.

I guess the Harley guys can tell a GoldWing from a ways away, but lots of them probably can't tell the RSV from a Harley.

I am OK that people mistake it for a Harley, but boy am I glad its not a Harley.

Ive noticed alot of Harleys wave at my brothers wing or mine.

Alot more then back up north. perhaps there older and wiser in Fl:confused24:

mike, from my own experience, people in florida, wave at EVERYTHING.

it's hard for their OLD EYES, to tell, if it is moving, or a sign post!!!!!!!:backinmyday::backinmyday:

lol

merry Christmas at ya , bud!

just jt

Guest tx2sturgis

Are we talking about the 'Cool Wave'?? Or just a regular nerdy wave?

One time I was passing a line of traffic going the other way that was moving slowly up to a traffic light. In the line of cars was a little learner bike, maybe a Honda Rebel or something similar. The rider, wearing a nice new white helmet and obviously busy with paying attention to the car ahead, caught me out of the corner of his (or her?) eye, and as I did the 'Cool Wave', the rider tried to wave with his left hand, but not thinking, let go of the clutch, and stalled it right there....funny at the time for me....and the new rider learned a lesson....no waving while holding the clutch!

So...add one more rider you dont wave at....NEWBIES!

:rotf:

I just got back from South Carolina and test drove one of the new Harleys while I was down yonder... While out testing it out I saw myself in the window of a large store and thought I was pretty cool but I didnt wave at myself cause I knew better...

Nice bike though.....

'Puc

Kinda reminds me of a blonde joke: How do you get a blonde out of a tree? Answer:Wave at her.:rotf:Some days I wave so much I get sea sick!:rotf:

Yeh oldandcrotchety, it was tongue in cheek. Actually I try to wave when I can and then I wave like the little kid at the parade waving to the guy throwing the candy. That wave really throws folks off hehehe.

Ride Safe, Ride Happy

AKRefugee

Guest KitCarson

I think this was the best post I have read on this site. I got quite a kick out of it. It takes an inventive mind to come up with something like this one!!

I wave at everyone!! Sometimes even get distracted when I should not be and get to grinning at some kid in the back seat of a car. Love those guys who have been busted for DWI and are putting along on a moped......head down, one hand on the throttle and both feet pushing trying to go faster!! They never wave back........now that I have 4-2-4 barons......just you wait. next one will get a downshift as I go by:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:Blow off his hat!!!

Hey Kevin AKARefugee Thats Nice Joke about bad ass no wave Harley Riders.

In Your profile is Club you belong...

http://www.connecticut-xl-riders.com/

Bunch of nice guys on Girls Motorcycle :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

http://www.connecticut-xl-riders.com/FFRstart.jpg

Yeh my second is a Sporty (Third stage completed). . . but I DO NOT wear PINK CHAPS nor have I ever. :7_2_102[1]:

Thanks AKRefugee - funny stuff!

My waving patterns have become seasonal. During the winter months, I wave at all riders. It doesn't matter what they ride - if they're out there commuting in the rain with me, then they get a big happy (wet) wave.

When spring rolls around, it's always so nice to see the first of the fairweather bikers emerge from their storm cellars so they get waves too. Again, I don't care the brand - I'm just glad they're out braving the chill.

By the time summer rolls around, I'm all waved out. There are bikes everywhere and I can't keep track of them anymore. If anything, I'll resort to "the nod" (but that's another thread).

And +1 to tx2sturgis for not waving at newbies. This spring I spotted a guy on a shiny new cruiser riding towards me so I gave him a friendly wave. He didn't spot me until the last moment so when he finally did, he kind of rotated his torso to wave at me. This led him to lean back and twist the throttle grip. Suddenly he shot forward like a rodeo cowboy on a bull, one hand holding onto the charging beast, the other hand swinging wildly. I could barely watch. Thankfully he got his free hand back on the bars and brought the bike back under control. Scared the crap out of me.

Maybe I'll stick to waving at kids and blondes. :beer:

How about the rider that you neet that you are now following? Do you wave at him?

Well you'll need to pass him first, so here in lies a problem. Will your bike be fast enough to get past him, or will he stay ahead of you if he rolls on some throttle? Well, if you're on a HWTB you might have second thoughts and just stay where you are and not be the friendly type and so forget about the all important wave. On the other hand, if you happen to have a 1200 for a power plant you could just touch the throttle a little, shoot past him and as you pull back in front of him the scoot might do the wave for you.

But I love this thread.... And if any of you see a brunette in a white mini-van waving, wave back. It might be me!

:sign20:

Rest assured I always wave back at people, especially if they are women.;)

The funny thing is that Corvette owners do the same thing. There are also discussions about those who do not wave back as if it were obligatory to do so. In many instances, a new Vette owner will not even realize it is common practice. Although I don't ride much, between the bike and the ZR-1 I am waving more than I care to since we have so many motorcycles and Corvettes down here.

Then again life is good, so why sweat the small stuff and get annoyed if someone does not wave.