IGNORED

Anyone know where the ark is?

Flyinfool

It has been raining like I have never seen it rain.

For over an hour it has been raining at 1 inch every 10 minutes, with 36 more hours of rain in the forecast.

The sewer and drainage systems were not designed for this kind of rain.

My basement has a river coming in.

The basement does not leak, the water has overflowed the back door and is running down the steps. There is nothing that I can do to stop it. :bang head:

My house was built in the 1800s there is no floor drain.

There is nothing of value on the floor other than the lathe and mill.

I'll see how bad it is in the morning, maybe I'll have to skip work to start bailing, (remember no floor drain) the only way to get water out is to pick it up and move it.

Oh poo. I guess I know what I am doing for the next couple of days.:crying:

OK Whine over for now.

Whats a sump pump.

Those were not invented yet when this house was built so there are no drain tiles to connect a sump pump to.

Bailing it will be.

It is at about 2 inches and rising.

What works best is a 16 gal wet dry vac and empty it into the sanitary tub when it is about half full, (I'm to old to lift 16 gallons up to the sanitary tub any more.)

That sink hole is a big news story.

ALL of the interstates thru here are closed due to flooding.

Whats a sump pump.

Those were not invented yet when this house was built so there are no drain tiles to connect a sump pump to.

You can get one that sits on the floor, plugs into an outlet, and run a hose way out in the back yard.

You can sit on the steps and just watch it go down, and tell the wife you can't help her now, your too busy cleanin' up the water!:thumbsup2:

Later, Scooter Bob

Wow, we've had a few inches here, but that much in Milwaukee is NOT good news for lake Michigan.

Sorry to hear of your basement/shop though. Good luck and you need a PLAN for the future.

Bob's sump pump idea is a good one.

See you soon,

Steve

You can get one that sits on the floor, plugs into an outlet, and run a hose way out in the back yard.

You can sit on the steps and just watch it go down, and tell the wife you can't help her now, your too busy cleanin' up the water!:thumbsup2:

Later, Scooter Bob

+1 on the pump that sits on the floor...had to use one a few years ago during the floods

No this rain is not good for the lake.

The Metro Milwaukee Sewage District is dumping raw untreated, undiluted sewage into the lake.

1 inch of rain over the area covered by the sewage district is 1 Billion gallons of water. The capacity of the system is 750 Million gallons we just had over 7 inches of rain and it is supposed to rain all day today and into tomorrow with another 1-3 inches of rain expected. The beaches will be closed for a long time. Unless you like swimming with Baby Ruth bars.

This one is blowing away all kinds of records.

The big sink hole that opened up in a major intersection fell out from under a Cadillac Escalade. The hole is about 30 feet in diameter and 15 feet deep. The driver just had some bumps and bruises. It was reported on the news this morning that the engine is still running but it is far to dangerous for anyone to get near it to shut it off.

My basement did not end up to bad. I sucked up about 300 gallons of water last night and this morning, After getting carried away I found that I can still lift 16 gallons of water into the sanitary tub. I emptied the 16 gallon shop vac 21 times. But I may pay for that today. The deepest part was only about 4 inches deep. as long as there is no more flooding it is down to a couple of fans and the dehumidifier to do their things.

So far nothing of value was lost or damaged.

I am thinking of putting a sump of some kind in the middle of the floor. I just have to figure out how to do it right.

Many others were not near as lucky as me. As of 9:00 last night there was over 1,000 homes with sewage backed up into their basements. Some were up to the basement ceiling. Some houses had the foundations collapse from all of the water weight on the outside pushing in.

I sure hope that all of you guys in Iowa stop sending this nonsense over here, The last time we had 2 days in a row with no rain was in May. :stickpoke:

And the northern part of the state is still in a severe drought, send it there. PLEASE. Pretty Please, With Ice cream on it.

Later, Scooter Bob

You are one sneaky dude! I appreciate and applaud your attitude.

PS..."N" says the ark already has 2 First Generations...sorry!

My home was built so long ago that it had a dirt floor in the basement 'til last year when I cemented it, section by section. As well, in one area I dug a hole and inserted one of the HTH plastic buckets in and cemented around it and aimed the rest of the floor to it.

never had water in the basement but it didn't cost anything to put the sump area in - just sayin' - - -

My home was built so long ago that it had a dirt floor in the basement 'til last year when I cemented it, section by section. As well, in one area I dug a hole and inserted one of the HTH plastic buckets in and cemented around it and aimed the rest of the floor to it.

never had water in the basement but it didn't cost anything to put the sump area in - just sayin' - - -

That is kind of where I am headed.

My floor was already poured when I bought the house but it is not pitched to any particular location. I have found the one spot that always has the deepest water so that is where I was planning to punch a whole and hide a sump pump under the floor. I will then have to cut and dig a trench to a side wall for the out flow pipe and the electric. It will still make a mess when the water comes in but at least it will not fill up the basement deep enough to do damage to any of the machinery or appliances.

Slick;

I'm glad I could brighten someones day.

I know a lot of people with GM vehicles, I do not know of anyone that has paid for onstar once the free trial ended. Even in this case, a tank of gas is still less than what Onstar costs.

At least he knows that no one can steal the car unless they have the power of the force to lift it out of the hole.

I will be curious as to how the insurance co will handle this.

There is no visible damage other than a few minor dings and scratches, once a wrecker hooks up a cable to drag it out of the whole I can see it getting totaled in that process. I seem to recall seeing pics from many years ago when they were having all of the sink holes in FL that an insurance co paid to have a crane lift the care out of the whole with no damage as opposed to having totaled on the end of a cable.

Don't get me started, Onstar can be a whole separate thread.

That is kind of where I am headed.

My floor was already poured when I bought the house but it is not pitched to any particular location. I have found the one spot that always has the deepest water so that is where I was planning to punch a whole and hide a sump pump under the floor. I will then have to cut and dig a trench to a side wall for the out flow pipe and the electric. It will still make a mess when the water comes in but at least it will not fill up the basement deep enough to do damage to any of the machinery or appliances.

Slick;

I'm glad I could brighten someones day.

No - no no ---- everything can be done overhead except the sump. Run the electric overhead and down the exit pipe. run you exit straight up to the floor joist and turn it to the nearest window/exit hole and outside. If you need to get it away from the house, put a hose or plastic pipe over it and send it wherever you need to.

Well, the good news is that very soon Global Warming will kick in, and flooding like this will never happen again. Wisconsin will turn into a desert, no more chance of flooding.

Its even stopped raining here in Seattle !!! for a whole week, the native Seattlites!! are starting to Panic !!!!

Forcast is for almost 85Deg F , over the weekend, and AirConditioner Sales are thu the roof !!!!!

I even had to water the grass this week !!!

Wait until Bonnie finishes. Looks like lots of rain all the way up the midwest to Canada from what I saw. We have 100's here in beautiful North Carolina and 90% humidity. I worked on a project this morning at 8:00 and was glad to give up at 11:00. Too damn hot and humid.

:farmer:

No - no no ---- everything can be done overhead except the sump. Run the electric overhead and down the exit pipe. run you exit straight up to the floor joist and turn it to the nearest window/exit hole and outside. If you need to get it away from the house, put a hose or plastic pipe over it and send it wherever you need to.

My low spot is not near a wall it is right in front of the door coming into the basement. I suppose I could just put the drain there in the low spot and then put the crock against the wall or in the corner.

I was looking at one of the water powered sump pumps instead of an electric one, the ONLY time I get water is during a severe storm and it is common for the power to go out. The city water pressure will still be there even during a power outage, I am about 200 yards from the city water tower.

My sister just put in a water powered sump as a backup to the electric one for when the power goes out. It work great but does run up the water bill, but then the water bill is peanuts compared to a flooded basement.

Lots of just thinking out loud here.

I sure hope that all of you guys in Iowa stop sending this nonsense over here,

Sorry, but I blame Nebraska and the Dakotas...talk to them!

Actually:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAYMJnO9LBQ]YouTube- South Park The Movie - Blame Canada[/ame]

I've been fighting water in basement for over 2 years here in SD. It is just basically damp now but still. I have knocked 2 different sump holes in the floor. I used the black plastic culvert type stuff for the hole. I replaced a 5 gallon pail that i used before. Use a sump pump that has the float that slides up and down on the rod, not one that swings up and down on the cord, those may hang up and burn out your pump. then i put in a check valve on the pipe to prevent water siphoning back into the hole from the discharge line. Then i use a camlock coupler attached to pvc pipe for my discharge pipe. I routed it to the easiest point out of the house. Once the pipe is outside you can use about anything to get the water away from the house. Oh i forgot to mention... I lined the hole around the outside of the black pipe with pearock, and drilled some holes in the black plastic culvert to let water seep in. This helps let the groundwater out from under your floor if you have problems with water seeping up through a crack etc. The camlocks make taking apart much easier

Well things are drying up nicely.

Just some wet carpet. that the fans and dehumidifier will take care of in a couple of days.

My basement itself does not leak, the only times I get water is from a plumbing problem or sustained rain of over 1 inch per hour for several hours. The water comes in thru the windows and doors when the street floods that high.

The windows will eventually be changed to glass block but I do kind of need the door to stay there.

Now that it stopped raining it's not leaking anymore so I don't have to worry about it........:whistling:

Well things are drying up nicely.

Just some wet carpet. that the fans and dehumidifier will take care of in a couple of days.

My basement itself does not leak, the only times I get water is from a plumbing problem or sustained rain of over 1 inch per hour for several hours. The water comes in thru the windows and doors when the street floods that high.

The windows will eventually be changed to glass block but I do kind of need the door to stay there.

Now that it stopped raining it's not leaking anymore so I don't have to worry about it........:whistling:

Well - if it ain't broke, no sense tryin to fix it :smile5: