IGNORED

What does your temp gauge read?

Those who have added the Water/Volt or Amp/Oil press gauge set to your RSV, what does your temp gauge read under the following conditions...

(Bike is all warmed up and you've been riding for a while)

During normal hwy cruising on a warm summer day??

During normal hwy cruising on a HOT summer day??

During extended stop & go city traffic on a warm or even hot summer day??

Reason I asked is I noticed mine was hitting the 230 mark while we were backed up in a long, long line traffic as it slowly merged from 3 lanes to 1 in a construction zone last evening... temps outside weren't hot at all ... in fact, Nina was wearing her leather jacket and was mentioning she felt a bit cold not long prior to that. Generally while cruising on a warm day the gauge will read around 215.

Granted, these are pretty cheap gauges so no doubt they're not very accurate... but I'm just curious...

AH. So THAT is what you were doing.

I was going to mention that I thought my fan kicked in when we were sitting in traffic because I got a blast of warm air on my legs. But my short atten...

actually I was trying to direct more of the engine's hot air towards Nina ... poor thing... she was feelin a bit chilled... (well I had to do something to stop that whine... :rotf:)

Yesterday I took my wife out to lunch to the Atwood Marina West LightHouse restaurant. The road was a county road, took about an hour to reach destination and the air temperature was 88 and the gauge ran between 190 and about 215. I could tell when the fan came on because I felt the heat on my legs and the gauge went down from 215 to 190ish.

Didn't have the opportunity to get into stop and go traffic ( Thank You )

When cruising at highway speed @ 80 deg. mine usually runs 190 deg. On the way to MD in very slow traffic it hit 230+ which surprised me. If the outside temp is around 70 it will run right at 150-160 & not go any higher.

Your thermostat is bad. It is either missing or stuck open.

This engine will always run around 210 when the ambient temperatures are 80 or below. If the ambient temps are above 90, the engine will run about 190.

Goose

But then again, it is quite possible your car tire has mucked the engine up. When you violate the laws of nature, anything can happen!

Edited by V7Goose

I snapped a photo of my temperature gauge today while riding through Oklahoma in 95 degree temps. We were cruising at about 70 mph and it stayed right there. If I got stuck in traffic it would climb to around 220.

Dennis