IGNORED

Washing machine hose reminder

tufftom4

I live in Fl so my washer and dryer are in my garage the other day I received a call from the sheriffs dept that water was coming out of my house, I got off work early and rushed home to find the hot water side of the washing machine hose split and sprayed water all throughout half the garage it tripped out the hot water heater and dryer plus all the outlets and had Sheetrock falling from the ceiling and walls. I was able to save the table saw and 1 router but lost my porter cable soft start router and dewalt cordless drill, so if you have a washer you do not shut the water off to I recommend buying the stainless braided hoses unless you want to spend money like me.

I wish I could just dry them out I tried everything including wd-40, the cordless just fried and the router was a soft start computer controlled that did not like the water and it will cost more to fix than buy a used one.

At least you had a way for the water to get out.

When my washer hose went I did not know about it till the water was 3 feet deep in the basement. My basement has no floor drain or sump pump and does not leak water in or out. It all had to be bailed out, along with everything that got wrecked.

I now change my hoses every 3 years.

The Stainless braided hoses are still just the same plastic hose with a stainless steel braid over the top. When the plastic gets brittle with age it will still crack and leak.

I always turn my feeds off when I am not going to be home for a extended amount of time

I have had 2 lines break on me

One time had a call about doing some sheet rock work

They had a break and flooded the basement and u 4 steps into the den

Sorry to hear about the flooding.

Dave

I thought these things were too expensive, until my sister had a costly flood due to a burst hose in her second floor laundry room. Then I gladly shelled out the $150 for it. Easy, five-minute install for peace of mind.

http://www.watts.com//images/aux_images/learnabouts/intelliflow/intelliflow_side_noBuy.jpg

You plug the washing machine's cord into the device and it only allows water to flow when the machine is drawing current. No washing = no water. There's an optional leak sensor that plugs into the unit and sits on the floor. If that detects water is shuts off the valves. This way if the hose bursts during a wash cycle, the water source is still shut off.

Complete info here.

Edited by SteveP
added picture

Guest scarylarry
Turn mine off after every use.

Sorry to hear about your experience!!

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

I thought these things were too expensive, until my sister had a costly flood due to a burst hose in her second floor laundry room. Then I gladly shelled out the $150 for it. Easy, five-minute install for peace of mind.

http://www.watts.com//images/aux_images/learnabouts/intelliflow/intelliflow_side_noBuy.jpg

You plug the washing machine's cord into the device and it only allows water to flow when the machine is drawing current. No washing = no water. There's an optional leak sensor that plugs into the unit and sits on the floor. If that detects water is shuts off the valves. This way if the hose bursts during a wash cycle, the water source is still shut off.

Complete info here.

I like it.

To bad they only have options that must be hard plumbed. I wish they had an option that had remote valves that screwed onto the existing hose fitting that you already have there and connected to the control box with a cable. That way it would work for renters or those that do not want to tear-up the wall to have the hard plumbing done.

Good reminder.

I just replaced my SS set two weeks ago. Four years ago I came home to a weird hissing sound coming from the basement. Wandered down the stairs to a nightmare waterpark type of setting. Man it's wild how much that water pressure can damage. Got it cleaned up and replaced the rubber hoses with the SS braided ones. After four years I noticed some mineral build up on the weave of the braid. Took me all of a half an hour to run to the hardware store and replace them. Wasn't taking any chances on that mess again.

I have shut offs on them but the daughter has issued with the righty tighty left loosey thing. D'oh!

I like it.

To bad they only have options that must be hard plumbed. I wish they had an option that had remote valves that screwed onto the existing hose fitting that you already have there and connected to the control box with a cable. That way it would work for renters or those that do not want to tear-up the wall to have the hard plumbing done.

Mine is an unfinished basement: stone walls & cement floors so getting to my supply pipes was simple. There are "Retro-fit Installation Kits" to make it attach to existing valves without having to rip up the walls. It's what we put in at my sister's house to avoid hard plumbing, but would be perfect for renters. (You'd think I work for Watts... hahah... I do not).