I'm not a beginner at mechanics exactly just new to working on RSV. I haven't done my own maintenance for a long time but there isn't any place close to take the bike any more so...here I go again.

OK, now the question. Do you need to remove the tank to check the spark plugs? I was looking to see if you can get to them with the tank on and I didn't see how. I check the service manual and it didn't say to remove the tank. Did I miss something?

I can understand wanting to "check" the plugs, but if the bike is running fine, it is too much hassle.

But if you are going to remove the tank to check plugs, then check/change coolant too because you have to remove the tank for that also.

+1. It sure is too much hassle just to 'just' check the plugs. If you are close to 8K miles, you might as well replace them with new ones. NGK plugs for our Venture are inexpensive. I got mine for a little over a buck each last year.

As I close in to 16K miles in about 2 weeks, I'll be replacing my plugs once again.

Ride Safe.

Well I have a bit Of a miss at idle so I thought I'd check them. I need to get a carb sync tool to sync the carbs. I figure that could also cause the miss. Who builds a bike that you need to remove the tank to check the plugs? What am I getting my self into? Good thing I'm not working.

LOL these bikes are easy, take a good look at a GoldWing..OMG have fun and good luck, these bikes are really pretty easy to work on, take pics as you go and you can always call a member if you get stuck..

Well I have a bit Of a miss at idle so I thought I'd check them. I need to get a carb sync tool to sync the carbs. I figure that could also cause the miss. Who builds a bike that you need to remove the tank to check the plugs? What am I getting my self into? Good thing I'm not working.

... Who builds a bike that you need to remove the tank to check the plugs? What am I getting my self into? Good thing I'm not working.

Yamaha does, you don't need to undo the the Tank on a TDM 850 or 900, but you need to undo the Radiator....

On a 1Gen Vmax, you don't need to undo anything but the Caps.

If you ever get the chance to work on a GL1800 Gold Wing you'll be happy as a dog in a bone yard to work on your Venture.

GL1800 Gold Wing = to check the air filter you have to remove the dash- false tank area-radio system-seat-side panels -etc - etc thats just for the air filter....:headache:

Don't get me wrong Gold Wing is an excellent bike and I wish I still had mine but the Venture is much easier to work on...

I'm not a beginner at mechanics exactly just new to working on RSV. I haven't done my own maintenance for a long time but there isn't any place close to take the bike any more so...here I go again.

OK, now the question. Do you need to remove the tank to check the spark plugs? I was looking to see if you can get to them with the tank on and I didn't see how. I check the service manual and it didn't say to remove the tank. Did I miss something?

uechi kid,

If your problem is a missfire, I would suggest before you start disassembling your scoot to try running some "Seafoam" through it. The missing could be from the ethanol in your gas. Ethanol has a small amount of water in it and over a period of time can cause the missing and detonation when you decellerate. Some times the problem goes away after one or two applications of the stuff. These engines just aren't made to run on water. Try it BEFORE you take your bike apart! Then if you still have the missing and popping, dig a little deeper. Do a search here for "Seafoam" and see what other members have to say about it. I LIKE IT!

:thumbsup2:

uechi kid,

If your problem is a missfire, I would suggest before you start disassembling your scoot to try running some "Seafoam" through it. The missing could be from the ethanol in your gas. Ethanol has a small amount of water in it and over a period of time can cause the missing and detonation when you decelerate. Some times the problem goes away after one or two applications of the stuff. These engines just aren't made to run on water. Try it BEFORE you take your bike apart! Then if you still have the missing and popping, dig a little deeper. Do a search here for "Seafoam" and see what other members have to say about it. I LIKE IT!

:thumbsup2:

Seafoam is great stuff. I'll give that a try just for the heck of it. I don't use gas with ethanol in it. Unless ALL gas has ethanol in it these days but I thought they had to post on the pump if there is ethanol in the gas.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I would do a complet tank drain, and carb bowl drain before ripping and tearing anything else. Then run a tank of SEA- FOAM, and re-evaluate the situation.

Before replaceing the plugs. Then do a Carb Re-Sync---

Every bike and all parts may be slightly different, but I ran my original factory plugs 25,000 miles. I was still getting 40 - 42 mpg and the bike was still running fine, but changed them over the winter.

As suggested, I would run 1/2 can SeaFoam in a full tank of gas and do a carb sync. If you don't have a sync tool, I am positive you will find some one within a days ride that would be willing to meet up and sync them. The sync takes a long and grueling 10 minutes.

I you plan to check the plugs change them.

I change my plugs every year and I have never removed the tank

I just unbolt tank an prop up the rear And I can get to all the bolts

See the pictures those are cut tennis balls

a towel will just fine

I have a RSTD The venture may be different.

Dave

:080402gudl_prv:

I you plan to check the plugs change them.

I change my plugs every year and I have never removed the tank

I just unbolt tank an prop up the rear And I can get to all the bolts

See the pictures those are cut tennis balls

a towel will just fine

I have a RSTD The venture may be different.

Dave

:080402gudl_prv:

Cool. Thanks

Removing the tank after doing it a few times is about a 5 min. job. At first I checked my plugs at the recommended intervals and they always looked new. My bike now has 82000 miles on it and I let them go at least 20000 miles before I worry about them. At that point they are cheap enough just have a spare set and change them. I believe that most of the recommended service intervals are a scam to make money for the dealers.

Removing the tank after doing it a few times is about a 5 min. job. At first I checked my plugs at the recommended intervals and they always looked new. My bike now has 82000 miles on it and I let them go at least 20000 miles before I worry about them. At that point they are cheap enough just have a spare set and change them. I believe that most of the recommended service intervals are a scam to make money for the dealers.

:goodpost::happy34:

Yeah, $5 plugs once a year.. what a scam lol.. But you're right about the tank, it's but a 5 min job after you're familiar with it.. nothing scary about it.. I do my plugs once or twice a year depending how much riding I do (average 30K a year) and its no biggie.. They are not expensive so why not change them..

But that's just me.. I like taking things apart.. ;)

Guest scarylarry
If you ever get the chance to work on a GL1800 Gold Wing you'll be happy as a dog in a bone yard to work on your Venture.

GL1800 Gold Wing = to check the air filter you have to remove the dash- false tank area-radio system-seat-side panels -etc - etc thats just for the air filter....:headache:

Don't get me wrong Gold Wing is an excellent bike and I wish I still had mine but the Venture is much easier to work on...

Been shooping for a winger and looking and searching on the service oild changes etc. Thanks you let some air out of my balloon.

Haven't been able to find out a lot on service.