IGNORED

Parking in marked stalls..ediquite and safety

tony h

Does anyone know of a Website that shows specifically that Parking on a 45 degree angle or with rear tire touching curb is the "proper" way to park? A local Township by me just started ticketing motorcycles that do not park parallel with the parking lines AND ticket bikes that share a parking spot. They claim the Metered Parking is to prevent people from parking all day and to give other people a chance to get into the town yet they ticket Bikes that share parking spots ( greedy town that wants the revenue). They just put in Meters in this Township and they are really busting chops. I'd love to send them a link that shows and explains the reasoning behind parking bikes as most of us do.

I think your best bet is to get a petition going. It might not be that the town is greedy, there just might not be any scoot riders on the city council. You should be able to go online and find the whole index of traffic codes for the area or go to your public library and do some research. I do know that in most places in California, you cannot park more than one motorized vehicle in a metered parking space at one time even if there is adequate space or otherwise marked. This is not targeted at scoots (although it would seem that way). As for the parking motorcycles parallel to the curb, I have never herd of that one. As long as you are inside the marked space, you should be legal.

I hope this helps.:cop:

I'd think you'd have to look into your local by-laws for that. In any event, that really sucks.

We have a "town" near here that is quite popular with tourists and locals alike as the main "strip" is right on the beach. Lots of clubs, dining, picknicking, shopping,.... They have actually put in smaller parking spots just for motorcycles. Of course, 2 of those spots make up 1 regular car spot. And yes, each have it's own meter.

Does anyone know of a Website that shows specifically that Parking on a 45 degree angle or with rear tire touching curb is the "proper" way to park? A local Township by me just started ticketing motorcycles that do not park parallel with the parking lines AND ticket bikes that share a parking spot. They claim the Metered Parking is to prevent people from parking all day and to give other people a chance to get into the town yet they ticket Bikes that share parking spots ( greedy town that wants the revenue). They just put in Meters in this Township and they are really busting chops. I'd love to send them a link that shows and explains the reasoning behind parking bikes as most of us do.

You are talking about Port Jefferson right? Been fighting that battle for a while now. It wont matter even if you do. The appointed parks commisioner is the Jack*** that owns that ice cream place on the corner be the monument. Its not about the tickets, its about the fact he wants no bikes there at all. Its his personal crusade and it wont end until they vote Foley out and a new commisioner is appointed. Hope the next commisioner is bike friendly. We are having all kinds of trouble with him trying to stop the Firematic racing at Ridge Firemans Park. Wants to take it from the Firefighters.

You are talking about Port Jefferson right? Been fighting that battle for a while now. It wont matter even if you do. The appointed parks commisioner is the Jack*** that owns that ice cream place on the corner be the monument. Its not about the tickets, its about the fact he wants no bikes there at all. Its his personal crusade and it wont end until they vote Foley out and a new commisioner is appointed. Hope the next commisioner is bike friendly. We are having all kinds of trouble with him trying to stop the Firematic racing at Ridge Firemans Park. Wants to take it from the Firefighters.

Scott you should have said something earlier We could have shown up in force and shown the Jack*** that all bikers are not bad.

Jeff

I think your best bet is to get a petition going. It might not be that the town is greedy, there just might not be any scoot riders on the city council. You should be able to go online and find the whole index of traffic codes for the area or go to your public library and do some research. I do know that in most places in California, you cannot park more than one motorized vehicle in a metered parking space at one time even if there is adequate space or otherwise marked. This is not targeted at scoots (although it would seem that way). As for the parking motorcycles parallel to the curb, I have never herd of that one. As long as you are inside the marked space, you should be legal.

I hope this helps.:cop:

Come park in Toronto, they’ve done the opposite and allowed for free parking on the streets for motorcycles!

The appointed parks commisioner is the Jack*** that owns that ice cream place on the corner be the monument. Its not about the tickets, its about the fact he wants no bikes there at all. Its his personal crusade and it wont end until they vote Foley out and a new commisioner is appointed. Hope the next commisioner is bike friendly. We are having all kinds of trouble with him trying to stop the Firematic racing at Ridge Firemans Park. Wants to take it from the Firefighters.

Owns an Ice cream place , hum..........Well , we all can show up , eat so much ice cream till we get tummy aches . Then sue the crap out of him for the excessive fats , calories , and the agony of suffering from the tummy aches we all get . Just like that lady did at the Mickey-D's who had spilled hot coffee in the her lap . Then see how long he stays in office .:stirthepot: :stirthepot: :stirthepot:

BEER30

a good way to deal with him is park the way you are suposed to and take a space for every bike all day for a few days block his store for a few blocks then see if he would think it is ok if a bike could park at a 45% angle and more than one to a space when the hole town cant have parking for cars to come in to there shops it would most likey only take a day or two with a we will see you tomarrow buddy and be real nice to every one as you do it KILLEM WITH KINDNESS and fill up the town!!!:thumbsup2:

He's easily fixed.

Just slip around the back of his shop one night and throw the main switch on his power box.

Can you imagine how much ice cream that would melt?:rotf::rotf::rotf:

He's obviously gone from a status symbol to a phallic symbol!:rotfl:

I believe this might all be a local ordinances. In San Francisco it is allowed to share a metered spot with a car. Both MC and car are responsible for the meter however so if it runs out you both get a ticket.

Parking the bike is dependent on street angle (especially in SF) by California vehicle code.

I have a rule of thumb. Concerning paying for parking.

I will only pay for parking if its a place where I absolutly

have to go to.

I refuse to do business anyplace that charges for parking.

I might get caught now and then, but I will never go back to that

business.

I don't care if its the business charging, or the government. If you

don't provide parking, you don't get my business.

Guest KitCarson
I have a rule of thumb. Concerning paying for parking.

I will only pay for parking if its a place where I absolutly

have to go to.

I refuse to do business anyplace that charges for parking.

I might get caught now and then, but I will never go back to that

business.

I don't care if its the business charging, or the government. If you

don't provide parking, you don't get my business.

Hey George: I go to Charleston sometimes to see my daughter......parking is a mess....they have banned motorcycles from parking in the parking garages....they will run you out, if they catch you.......so far not towing you off......just warning.........parking prices are tough...like about 1.35 or 2.00 an hour.

A Parking ticket is 2 dollars........Yep I take the chance.....been caught a couple times.....but a 2 dollar ticket is cheaper than the parking fees.:thumbsup: Kit

a good way to deal with him is park the way you are suposed to and take a space for every bike all day for a few days block his store for a few blocks then see if he would think it is ok if a bike could park at a 45% angle and more than one to a space when the hole town cant have parking for cars to come in to there shops it would most likey only take a day or two with a we will see you tomarrow buddy and be real nice to every one as you do it KILLEM WITH KINDNESS and fill up the town!!!:thumbsup2:

We already did that about 10 times and plugged the place up for about 3 days a year ago. Still hasnt helped. Now they metered all the parking and set time limits. Town constables will just about sit at your bike waiting for it to expire. BS I tell you. Good thing there is no metered parking to anchor my boat! LOL As for his perticular lot he has up signs that bikes are not even pernitted in his private lot even if they want to buy from him. AMA is already involved but to no avail so far.

It sounds like you should drive your cages down and take up all the parking.

Be sure to wear your leathers and buy an Ice Cream Cone from time to time while sitting on the steps (so you are not loitering)

Or get a large group to walk the block....(so you are not loitering) and feed the meters....

you have to hit him where it hurts.... in the pocket book, but kill him with kindness:bighug:

How about siting in the bed of a pickup truck in front of the store with a freezer and GIVE AWAY ice cream novelties all day long at the top of the tourist season. You cant get in trouble that way, as you are NOT conducting business and you are on public property. be sure to obey all parking regulations. and wear your leathers. Maybe get the AMA to send you some handouts about MC safety or some other reason to be there. check to see if you need a parade permit etc to pass out handbills and free ice cream.

Make sure you have enough ice cream to last the day. buy it wholesale!!!!at Costco!!!!

I'll Pay Pal you $20 to get you started!!!!!!!

If you park bikes in front of his store ALL DAY, have some on "standby" a few blocks away... call one when you have about 10 Minutes left on the MAX parking time, have them drive by and take the recently vacated space. And DON'T hang around (watch the loitering ordinances), go shopping etc, but have somebody sitting by inconspicuously to keep an eye on the goings on.... run a video camera....

Maybe somebody who is not involved might be pulling a boat on a trailer, and have a flat on the trailer JUST before the entrance to his parking lot...... and have to take the wheel off in the middle of traffic to get it repaired...... no fix-a-flat to be had....... bummer..... where is the nearest facility that can repair a tire for you?????(oh i meant to say, the tire for the unrelated party......)

Guest KitCarson
We already did that about 10 times and plugged the place up for about 3 days a year ago. Still hasnt helped. Now they metered all the parking and set time limits. Town constables will just about sit at your bike waiting for it to expire. BS I tell you. Good thing there is no metered parking to anchor my boat! LOL As for his perticular lot he has up signs that bikes are not even pernitted in his private lot even if they want to buy from him. AMA is already involved but to no avail so far.
Hey I have to go to work.....support my habits.....will be back.....you cannot fight city hall or the cops.....I know......Kit used to try........if you push it too much they will mark you out from the crowd and try to help you all they can:rotf::rotf::rotf:I know.....i used to be one.........will tell you all a story when I get time. Kit

One possible way you take care of the problem is hit'm in the pocket book. A few letters to the surounding merchants, and the city council, explaining that you'll be spending your dollars in another town because of one person's anti-bike animosity. Even when you're driving a car.... That will usually get the other leaders to take the person aside and have a talk with him.... The idea of legally taking up all the parking spaces around the business will only piss him off even more.

I agree with Condor, only make it more than a few letters. Also let them know their anti bike policies are now being posted on the web. A bunch of letters from prospective tourists saying they are now changing their plans to avoid the town would catch their interests. Let them know you are on family vacation in your cars or campers. Keep the letters coming for a few months.

I agree with Condor, only make it more than a few letters. Also let them know their anti bike policies are now being posted on the web. A bunch of letters from prospective tourists saying they are now changing their plans to avoid the town would catch their interests. Let them know you are on family vacation in your cars or campers. Keep the letters coming for a few months.

What Im trying to tell you guys is that all this stuff has been done already. If the bikes arent there , there is always another tourist to go there. Very hard to find a parking sport. They used to have a parking area in the Town parking lot that they would let the bikes go for free and there was never any trouble. Only problems were sport bikes reving engines and those who have very loud exhaust. Purely the obnoxious stuff that is illegal anyway. One day after the elections this dude starts this crap. Now everyone pays, you cant even get in that lot if you arent a town resident. All the spots are metered and the cops look at your bike the minute you park no matter if you are loud or anything. Its all about one guys "vision". The local owners support the bikes for the most part aside than a few. They even break the balls of the Police motorcyclists! Not that that should make a difference but often it does. The town this place is in is long lown for corruption. Brookhaven town is called "Crookhaven"! I just go to Greenport where they welcome us and even provide a bike parking areas. They have a sign up that says "Ride Proud, Not loud" but that is just a reminder that there are laws. I have no problem with that. We should all do this.

Here is a blurb for Calif.

"according to Sargent Price in "Friction Zone": "As for parking at a meter, a motorcycle's rear tire or fender must touch the curb; and yes, you must pay for the parking space you are using. If you share the space with another car, you could be subject to citation." Technically, it sounds like two bikes sharing a metered stall would be subject to citation if all vehicles are treated equally.

I have heard of cops ticketing bikes sharing spaces, particular where riders congregate and where they want to discourage this congregation. In one instance, the riders decided that if the cops were going to ticket them for more than one bike per space, then they were going to park one bike per space, which meant many spaces in an already too-hard-to-park area were unnecessarily consumed. The cops stopped the ticketing and the riders went back to multiple bikes per spot. Sometimes, only sometimes, reason does prevail."

From the friction zone magazine. Downtown San Diego has some motorcycle parking marked out and there is no metering there.Rod

Well, my wife went to downtown Seattle, to the County Gov't office last week, to get a permit to cut down 3 tree's. (( That cost $85.00 ))

She told me, the charge for the parking lot, was $10.00.

This was one of those times, that we had no choice in the matter. No place else to get the permit.

Now that is interesting. Even the NYS MC manual says that the MC should be parked at a 90 deg angle to the curb with the rear tire touching the curb.

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/mcmanual/ride_within.htm

Being the creap stirrer I can be I think this weekend there will be a trip to Port jeff and park properly acording to the manual. After I get the ticket fight it all the way then with connections I have a nice article in the Newday about harrasment and and constables not knowing the laws.

:sign busted: