IGNORED

Comparing the Sylvania Silver Star Ultra to HID

Dave77459

I'm posting this in the watering hole rather than the RSTD tech section because I think it has wider appeal. But, you mods can move it if you want.

I bought the Canadian Cruiser Customizing HID lamp that is all the rage. I went over to Cupcake's/Squidley's this morning and he installed it while I lamely assisted and Jus Monkeyin Around provided moral support. They are ace, by the way. I'll post install photos tomorrow after some shuteye.

Last night I took some "before" photos of Roxie wearing the Sylvania Silver Star Ultra headlamp. Tonight I took some "after" photos for comparison.

My first shot is from the house looking down the street. For these shots, the top photo is of the Sylvania, the bottom is the HID. You can clearly see that the HID is white, while the Sylvania is yellow. Interestingly though, the Sylvania is lighting up the Stop Sign at the end of the street, while the HID is not.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4082/4741266254_bd0efa6d96_o.jpg

After that shot, I went to the end of the street and my better half took a low beam shot then a high beam shot. I should mention that all the shots in this series use the same settings, which were right for the first photo (f/4, 1" exposure, ISO 400).

On low beam, the HID is clearly brighter.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4136/4740631365_34785ce898_o.jpg

Then I flipped on high beam. Check it out: the Sylvania is kickin' HID tail. Or so it seems. To me, I think the HID is maintaining a very tight focus, while the Sylvania is giving out greater intensity AND spill. So the Sylvania seems to be whuppin' up on the HID. But the center of the HID is completely burned out in the photo, like it was getting smashed by a laser. There are serious photons hitting the camera.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4075/4740631765_a91c0530a5_o.jpg

Next, my wife decided to snap a shot as I drove up. I'm glad she did, because you can compare the light blob. You can also see how the HID is making the street light up from reflected light.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4102/4740632603_3ee425bcbf_o.jpg

I pulled the bike next to the camera, and shone on the garage. First low, then high beams. It looks to me like the HID on low beam is very similar to the Sylvania on high. When the HID is on high, you can see that the gutter is very over exposed.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4080/4741268474_eb45db8586_o.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4095/4741268940_4b6216b907_o.jpg

So what are my conclusions? First, although it is claimed to not be the case, I think the HID is aimed higher than the Sylvania. I understand it should be a simple switch out, but it just seems to me that the HID is aimed too high, especially on high beam. My office has a nice location in the garage where I can aim lights, and the next time I ride to work I will do that.

Secondly, the Sylvania Silver Star Ultra is a superb light. I've had riders that I follow comment on how bright that bulb is. I especially like the enhanced spill I get on high beam. I almost don't need my passing lamps to spot deer. Almost. If you don't want to make the jump to HID, I can easily recommend this light.

Lastly, the HID is very very bright. The photos don't show it, really. You can see that on some of the photos, there is a white haze... which I believe is overloaded sensors. The lamp is very tightly focused, which makes it hard to capture the brilliance. My wife told me when we went inside five minutes after I drove up the street that she was still seeing spots from the HID. She thinks it is too bright.

I'll let you judge. I'm also interested in your comments.

Dave

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the color temperature of your HID bulb? They say that 5000K gives the brightest light and lights up the road the best. The higher color temperature (eg. 10000K) bulbs actually give less light.

Thanks for doing this. I've been thinking about the Canadian conversion. But you pictures show that the Ultra may be the way to go.

I should mention that one reason people want the HID is that it draws so much less energy. If you are farkled out the ying-yang, the HID is a compelling upgrade.

What is the color temperature of your HID bulb? They say that 5000K gives the brightest light and lights up the road the best. The higher color temperature (eg. 10000K) bulbs actually give less light.

This is 5000K.

Dave

I have been using the Sylvania Silver Star for years without regret. On a trip to Nebraska-Texas-North Carolina I ran in the wee hours of the mroning to avoid heat and I was impressed with the amount of light the bright light put out.

:farmer:

I installed an HID kit and did not like the one I got, no true high beam, and interfered with my AM/FM.

I changed to the Silver Star and like the light, what also has helped is that I have changed the passing lights to a brighter H3 bulb. I had to change the housing/lens, but worth the $20.00 investment.

I ride mainly at night as I work 3rd shift and I do appreciate the added light but still want my tunes.

OK the search function did a good job at getting me frustrated!!:bang head:

Can someone point me to a link on how to modify the headlight to take the SilverStar type bulb?

I almost died Saturday night on the way home from work.... My headlight did not light up the flat black car that was broke down and sitting in the middle of the slow lane on the freeway.

After I got my breathing under control and stopped shaking, I set out two flares and called the police to come move it... and move it they did... It was stolen over two years ago :doh:

Anywho... I need more light!!!!:bang head:

When I went from the stock bulb to the Silver Star I had to reaim the headlight.

When I went from the Silver Star to the HID I had to reaim the headlight.

I have never changed a headlight bulb on any vehicle that I have owned and not had to reaim the headlight.

In your pics it looks like the HID is aimed very low.

Once aimed correctly, my HID kicks the Silver Star right out of town.

My bike now has better illumination than my truck with all 6 halogen lights on, two of which are Silver Star.

I have the HID from HID Country, Bi-Xenon 6,000K, and found the beam to be very well focused on both high and low beam.

Maybe there is some truth in the claim that their bulbs are the brightest on the market.

They even double checked with me to fix the screw-up that I made when placing the order online. A very good place to do business with. I will be getting more HID for my truck from them and getting rid of the Silver Stars in that to.

I went from the standard bulb to the HID. I have noticed that the HID has increased my visibility in the daylight hours (running high beam only)..... and it really lights up the road at night. Prior to the HID I really disliked night riding....now I enjoy it!:thumbsup2:

Now to see how long the HID bulb lasts.....no track record established for longevity that I know of.

Boomer.....who sez don't blame me if ya use this HID fer a night light in yer boudoir and it pooches up yer seksual escapades.:rasberry:

Interesting that there are so many reports of the Silver Star burning out. Are all'y'all running the Ultra? Seems to me that I read that the Ultra is more vibration resistant, but it could be that I am confused. Regardless, mine has over 20K miles on it, most of it on high beam.

OK the search function did a good job at getting me frustrated!!:bang head:

Can someone point me to a link on how to modify the headlight to take the SilverStar type bulb?

I almost died Saturday night on the way home from work.... My headlight did not light up the flat black car that was broke down and sitting in the middle of the slow lane on the freeway.

After I got my breathing under control and stopped shaking, I set out two flares and called the police to come move it... and move it they did... It was stolen over two years ago :doh:

Anywho... I need more light!!!!:bang head:

The Silver Star Ultra H4 was a direct replacement for the head lamp in my Tour Deluxe. Changing it was a 5 minute job.

Dave

When I went from the stock bulb to the Silver Star I had to reaim the headlight.

When I went from the Silver Star to the HID I had to reaim the headlight.

I have never changed a headlight bulb on any vehicle that I have owned and not had to reaim the headlight.

In your pics it looks like the HID is aimed very low.

Once aimed correctly, my HID kicks the Silver Star right out of town.

My bike now has better illumination than my truck with all 6 halogen lights on, two of which are Silver Star.

I have the HID from HID Country, Bi-Xenon 6,000K, and found the beam to be very well focused on both high and low beam.

Maybe there is some truth in the claim that their bulbs are the brightest on the market.

They even double checked with me to fix the screw-up that I made when placing the order online. A very good place to do business with. I will be getting more HID for my truck from them and getting rid of the Silver Stars in that to.

Maybe it was the wrong choice, but my passing lamps are also on. That could be why you see the yellow light immediately in front of the bike. I always run my passing lamps, so I wanted to give an impression of what you would see if you saw me coming. :)

By the way, here is the next frame of my arrival with the HID. Could explain why my baby saw spots for minutes afterward.

Dave

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4135/4741916961_b528b54b1c.jpg

Thanks for posting those pictures, along with your and your wife's subjective observations. They are very interesting.

I have run the SilverStar Ultra for over 80,000 miles on my 05 RSV and have not had to replace it even once. I love that bulb. For anyone who is considering the SilverStar, be absolutely sure to only buy the Ultra. The Ultra is not only significantly brighter than the standard SilverStar, but it has a heavier filament that is designed specifically for high vibration environments.

It is always good to check the headlight aiming, especially on a bike with different loads, but replacing one H4 bulb with another standard H4 bulb should never change the aim point. I know nothing about the HID other than how terribly obnoxious I find them on other people's bikes, so I cannot say if they have a different aim point or not.

Just my personal opinion here, but I find that any light that puts additional glare in the eyes of on-coming drivers is extraordinarily dangerous and stupid. And so many people who have gone to the HID or chose to drive with high beams on seem to be actually PROUD of doing this????? For the life of me, I cannot imagine anything that could possibly be smart about blinding or irritating the driver of a vehicle heading towards you. But that's just my opinion. Note that I am not against the HID lights in general, just all the after-market conversions I have seen so far. I absolutely love them when they are properly and legally designed as original equipment.

My personal experience of riding in front of several people with HID conversions during the day has been one of huge irritation, just as bad as riding in front of people who keep their high beams on. Not only do I think that puts the rider who chooses to irritate other drivers in greater danger, but even if it put out significantly more light, I just can't be that inconsiderate to everyone else on the road. I find the SilverStar Ultra, with the proper legal beam pattern and extra brightness, to be the right choice for me.

Goose

Edited by V7Goose
Spell SilverStar right

Dave, I suspect the difference in the amount of light your pictures showed on the road vs the difference in GLARE and perceived brightness looking at the light is probably the difference between a proper and legal beam pattern on the SilverStar and an unknown beam pattern on the HID conversion. Just guessing here, of course, but that would certainly explain it.

Legal vehicle bulbs have a very specific beam pattern that provides a very abrupt cutoff of light above a certain level, and this is usually very easy to see when you aim the lights at a vertical surface. Usually the beam pattern will have a straight horizontal cut-off in the center, with some higher flair on the right side. If that HID replacement does not have the proper beam pattern, it would not be surprising at all if the SilverStar actually provided much more USABLE light, even if the total lumens were less.

Goose

Edited by V7Goose
Spell SilverStar right

Thanks for posting those pictures, along with your and your wife's subjective observations. They are very interesting.

*snipped*

Just my personal opinion here, but I find that any light that puts additional glare in the eyes of on-coming drivers is extraordinarily dangerous and stupid.

*snipped*

Goose

I very much appreciate your view point, and I agree. I do run high beam during the day, using the same rules that I run it at night. It just seems that we have so much bright light here, with our shimmering roads and humidity, that anything not super bright is easy to miss; I find myself squinting more often than I care to admit. But again, I try to be courteous and employ the same rules as if it were dark.

Dave, I suspect the difference in the amount of light your pictures showed on the road vs the difference in GLARE and perceived brightness looking at the light is probably the difference between a proper and legal beam pattern on the Silver Star and an unknown beam pattern on the HID conversion. Just guessing here, of course, but that would certainly explain it.

Legal vehicle bulbs have a very specific beam pattern that provides a very abrupt cutoff of light above a certain level, and this is usually very easy to see when you aim the lights at a vertical surface. Usually the beam pattern will have a straight horizontal cut-off in the center, with some higher flair on the right side. If that HID replacement does not have the proper beam pattern, it would not be surprising at all if the Silver Star actually provided much more USABLE light, even if the total lumens were less.

Goose

I take your point.

I believe that the HID has great potential because of it's focused beam. I hadn't ever photographed low and high beam patterns, and the Sylvania Silver Star Ultra clearly creates more spill light rather than being just brighter. I rather like it, because it helps illuminate deer that much farther down the road.

I haven't yet "back roaded" the HID, to see how far it shines, but it seems the light will mostly remain on the pavement even in high beam. We'll see. After it is aimed.

Let me ask this... the standard aiming technique uses a wall not so far away. Does anyone go out on a dark two-lane and test afterward? That would seem to be the "proof is in the pudding" scenario. It would also help clarify your point about legal bulb patterns.

Dave

Edited by Dave77459
Missed an important 'not'

I haven't yet "back roaded" the HID, to see how far it shines, but it seems the light will mostly remain on the pavement even in high beam. We'll see. After it is aimed.

Let me ask this... the standard aiming technique uses a wall not so far away. Does anyone go out on a dark two-lane and test afterward? That would seem to be the "proof is in the pudding" scenario. It would also help clarify your point about legal bulb patterns.

Dave

Yes I do.

I get it close with the wall and then fine tune it at speed for proper illumination on the road.

Even though the HID is incredibly bright I do not get anyone flashing their lights at me at night.

My HID does have a very sharp horizontal cutoff with a rise on both ends. Bikes have the rise on both sides to help illuminate the turn in either direction while leaning the bike, cars have the light biased to the right side.

FYI - here is a link to one of the best complete documents for aiming different types of lights:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/images/Aim.pdf

It does not specifically address motorcycles, but that doesn't change anything - just be sure to adjust the light with the bike loaded like you plan to ride it, and with your weight on the saddle (including passenger if you will be riding two-up). If you do a lot of mixed riding, sometimes loaded, sometimes solo, it is always best to aim the lights with the biggest load on the bike, since that will usually have the lights pointing higher than solo. This makes sure they are never aimed at a dangerous height to blind oncoming drivers.

I personally run two different sets of driving lights, just so I can get the most benefit under different conditions without blinding others. With my low beams, I run some very cheap 20W spots that really light up the road and shoulders close up (the way I have them aimed). But with high beams that I will never have on if someone is in front of me, I have bigger and brighter spots aimed much higher and spread more.

Goose

Yes I do.

I get it close with the wall and then fine tune it at speed for proper illumination on the road.

Even though the HID is incredibly bright I do not get anyone flashing their lights at me at night.

My HID does have a very sharp horizontal cutoff with a rise on both ends. Bikes have the rise on both sides to help illuminate the turn in either direction while leaning the bike, cars have the light biased to the right side.

Thanks for the confirmation. It'll be interesting to see what pattern this beam produces.

FYI - here is a link to one of the best complete documents for aiming different types of lights:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/images/Aim.pdf

It does not specifically address motorcycles, but that doesn't change anything - just be sure to adjust the light with the bike loaded like you plan to ride it, and with your weight on the saddle (including passenger if you will be riding two-up). If you do a lot of mixed riding, sometimes loaded, sometimes solo, it is always best to aim the lights with the biggest load on the bike, since that will usually have the lights pointing higher than solo. This makes sure they are never aimed at a dangerous height to blind oncoming drivers.

I personally run two different sets of driving lights, just so I can get the most benefit under different conditions without blinding others. With my low beams, I run some very cheap 20W spots that really light up the road and shoulders close up (the way I have them aimed). But with high beams that I will never have on if someone is in front of me, I have bigger and brighter spots aimed much higher and spread more.

Goose

Thank you for the link. It'll be very useful.

My worst case scenario is riding two-up and towing a trailer. I guess I need to get busy packing for the road, so I get an honest tongue weight. However, I will rarely be on the road at night with my wife and trailer. It won't never happen, but you do plan for the worst case, right?

Thanks again,

Dave

So our headlights are NOT sealed beam bulbs?:think:

Nope. I guess it is possible you have something non-standard, but mine used a standard H4 base bulb. On the RSTD, you just unscrew two screws, unhook the plug, unclip the retainer, clip on the new bulb, connect the plug, and put the light back on with the two screws. It is literally a five minute job... the first time.

I bought this at an auto parts store:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-9003-SU-BP-TWIN/dp/B0012ETJ1O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1277739402&sr=8-1-spell]Amazon.com: Sylvania 9003 SU BP TWIN SilverStar Ultra Headlight - Pack of 2: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/516XG0azCGL.@@AMEPARAM@@516XG0azCGL[/ame]

Dave