IGNORED

Comparing the Sylvania Silver Star Ultra to HID

Dave77459

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I switch to HID headlamp, the color will no longer match with my passing lamp.

That is a good thing as it makes you more vissiable to others.

I don't know how true it is, but it does pass my 'gut' check. I'm getting used to the two different colours. But yeah, the Silverstar ULTRA is a great choice too.

BTW, I got my HID from Canadian Cruiser Customizing. It's presently 49.99 CDN.

Dave

I stand corrected, for the headlight 50 is cheap for the lighting you get. what I was saying 416 for the piaa cross countries is NOT cheap! love to have the light, but no way I could justify spending that kind of money

I agree. But it is for a pair of lights... :innocent:

Dave

Thanks for the very well done comparison of the two lights. For what little difference there appears to be I think I'll go with the Ultras. I'm all for improving night time lighting, but when oncoming traffic is blinded, danger increases instead of decreases. I'm always having to look away when a HID vehicle approaches at night. They hurt just looking at them...

I notice that there is a disclaimer at the bottom of this ad that says this bulb is not intended for highway use.

Just curious, has anybody here ever been stopped and the DOT approval verified for any lighting?:confused07:

The light shines light like any other headlight. I suppose if it shown a different colored light like purple or blue I might get stopped. The light is bright white.

I notice that there is a disclaimer at the bottom of this ad that says this bulb is not intended for highway use.

Just curious, has anybody here ever been stopped and the DOT approval verified for any lighting?:confused07:

Generally speaking any equipment for a motor vehicle that has not gone through testing by the DOT is not approved and therefore may not be used on public highways. I believe headlights over 55/65 watts are not allowed on the road. Some of the LEO's on here could likely give a more accurate opinion.

Regulations of the DOT kind, in fact most guvmint regulations are not often worth the powder it would take to blow them to hell. In this case, 55/65 watts assumes a light output limit that with new technology is no longer valid. HID at 35 watts put out waaaay more lumins/candlepower than halogen does at 55 watt.

Another case in point, as we all know, an 1100 V-twin comes up seriously short in HP when compared to a 4 cylinder sport bike of the same displacement. Why then do insurance companies raise the rates relative to displacement rather than HP?

Anyway, it is not very likely a vehicle will be stopped to verify whether any part of it is not DOT approved. On the other hand if your headlights were to blind a LEO, he might very well chase you down do a check of some sort. If an accident were determined to have been caused by a non DOT approved part then there would be some serious explaining to do.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tx2sturgis
Generally speaking any equipment for a motor vehicle that has not gone through testing by the DOT is not approved and therefore may not be used on public highways. I believe headlights over 55/65 watts are not allowed on the road.

You might be surprised to know that the new Victory Cross Country and Cross Roads have 110 watt headlights. Of course, its two 55 watt bulbs in the one headlight housing. But it IS bright!

Ok...since Goose has been raving about the SilverStar Ultra, I bought one and installed it.

I noticed something kinda odd about the packaging and marketing claims. Sylvania claims 50% more light than a standard halogen, but the Ultra is measured at full 100% brightness, and the standard is measured at 80% brightness! I know they want you to see the 50% logo, its on the front of the package and easily seen....but the disclaimer is in TINY print on the back. Obviously they are comparing an old, worn down bulb to their brandy-new, $28 bulb.

They do say the Ultra will have a shorter lifespan.

Hmmm.....so its actually a 30% difference in brightness (new vs new)..maybe. I took it for a test ride last nite and I was happy with it. It does seem a bit whiter than my old OEM bulb. Its no HID, but I want to see what the new LED headlamps are like.

So OK...installed at 21,944 miles. Sturgis, HERE I COME! ( in 1.5 weeks)

Edited by tx2sturgis

• 1 month later...

As a sort of update, I had to remove the HID because the ballast died (or so it seems). I put in my old SilverStar Ultra, which fired right up. I noticed that it was not lighting up reflective signs like it used to, so I went to check the aim last night with my trailer attached and loaded (I leave on another trip tomorrow).

If you recall a few pages back, I found that the HID was aimed to illuminate passing aircraft. At that time, I aimed it properly. So now, I had to raise the Ultra. But how much?

The recipe calls for a 2" drop over a 17' distance. However, it was aimed 18" low! That's how far off the HID was.

I know that people claim these HIDs are plug and play replacements. These people will claim that I misinstalled the HID. Maybe I did, but if you install an HID, maybe you will too.

In short, aim your lights when you change your bulbs.

Dave

PS, someone pointed out that the screwdriver that came in the toolkit in your bike works perfectly with the headlamps. It sure did in my case. That JAS screw that Yamaha uses really does prefer a JAS screwdriver, rather than a Philips. I need to buy a set.