IGNORED

Beware this dealership

FreezyRider

While in Tennessee on Friday, I ran over a piece of steel and ruined a rather low-mileage E3 on the rar of my GL1800 Wing. I was about 30 miles from the beginning of civilization with only one realistic option for obtaining a new tire, that being Mid-$outh Motoplex in Clark$ville, Tenne$$ee. I'll leave out all the details, but after finally getting the rear wheel off and delivered to the shop, I was then gouged mercilessly IMO. My tire size is 180/60R16 and a new E3 from http://www.jakewilson.com goes for 164.99.....obviously not an option for me in my situation since I had to have the tire immediately so I could continue my trip.

Here's what the dealership charged me:

Tire: $247.50

Labor: $39.50

Valve stem: $16.98

Tax: $29 and change

Total, $333 thank you very much for your business sir!

Now, I realize that a dealership needs to make a profit, but that is one heckuva markup percentage. I'm sure they buy their tires at least as cheaply as I can get them online....so they are marking them up by almost half. Nice. Oh, and it's a good thing I took it in already off the bike. They charge $118.50 if on the bike, plus an additional "clean up fee as appropriate".

I initially thought that I was fortunate that they "got me right in and got it done for me" since I was just traveling through.....until I read the sign that said "Tires mounted and balanced while you wait". So I received no special treatment after all.

This shop sells Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, and Polaris/Victory. Large dealership, expensive building. I now have paid for a small piece of it.

BEWARE.

Joe

I really don't see a big problem with the charges. The tire is higher than Jake Wilson, but your comparing the price to the lowest priced national dealer on the web. So the guy made $70 bucks. I think it's a small price to pay to get out of a jam... Did you try to see if the E3 could be waranteed??

I really don't see a big problem with the charges. The tire is higher than Jake Wilson, but your comparing the price to the lowest priced national dealer on the web. So the guy made $70 bucks. I think it's a small price to pay to get out of a jam... Did you try to see if the E3 could be waranteed??

He probably didn't make anyway near $70. There are costs associated with having it there for "right now" delivery: cost of tying up the capital, floor space and a cost associated with the risk that it'd never sell. That cute gal at the reception desk costs money too.:hurts:

I think the cost of the valve stem and the tire are pretty steep. Being I'm in a Military Town where some retailers put a heavy price tag on the these so called "Young, Dumb, and Full of C**, I got $$$ burning holes in my pocket Serviceman and Women". My dealer has multiple stores though out Eastern NC. Even the HD dealership doesn't charge that much!

I think that dealer saw you coming and knew you had no other choice and stuck it to you. I have no issues of a store being fancy and such. But I prefer that the store gain financial stability with Customer Service and not just by looking COOL and sticking it to the customers .....or shall I say VICTIMS.

I've been broke down on the side of the road many times and have told these type of people whom try to take advantage of a situation "to go urinate up a rope many a time" ! Then I call Emergency Roadside assistance and kick back , drink a cold one and if possible, help eliminate any loose pygmies that have escaped Boomers cage. Always ride Packed and Loaded, you will never know when it's needed.:Bunny2::Bunny:

BEER30

Please tell me the name of any tire manfacturer that will warranty a tire with a big hunk of metal in it that got there by the driver running over it. I never heard of such a thing.

He probably didn't make anyway near $70. There are costs associated with having it there for "right now" delivery: cost of tying up the capital, floor space and a cost associated with the risk that it'd never sell. That cute gal at the reception desk costs money too.:hurts:

Well, you forgot a cost there Carl. There is the huge cost of the 6 salespeople walking around with their hands in their (and my) pockets the entire time I was in the store. The 2 service managers sitting on their stools behind the counter have to be paid too. Also the 4 "service-kiddies" (had to be all of 19 years old) leaning against the wall behind the counter while my tire was being changed (45 minutes). Yep, gotta pay them all.

I wish I had taken a picture of the sign on the wall behind the counter on which their standard fees were listed. Enough to turn your stomach.

And, this dealership evidently couldn't find any cute gals in Clarksville.

So, I guess they should give their stuff away?? Rename the place Free-B Yamaha, and loose their a$$.... but that's OK they can make it up in volume.....

http://www.cast-aways.com/CONDORPICS/Sam-Side.jpg

Where did I say they should give it away? I'm willing to pay a fair price, I just don't consider the price I was charged to be a fair price.

I wouldn't have flinched a bit at paying $200 for the tire even though that would be at least $30 higher than it could be bought for elsewhere. Neither would I have openly complained about the $40 fee for a 15 minute job, if the tire was priced fairly. Add them both together and I still feel that I got ripped. You may not agree, but your disagreement will not change how I feel.

I only wish that I was in business and had you for a customer so I could take advantage of your obvious generosity.:whistling:

Where did I say they should give it away? I'm willing to pay a fair price, I just don't consider the price I was charged to be a fair price.

I wouldn't have flinched a bit at paying $200 for the tire even though that would be at least $30 higher than it could be bought for elsewhere. Neither would I have openly complained about the $40 fee for a 15 minute job, if the tire was priced fairly. Add them both together and I still feel that I got ripped. You may not agree, but your disagreement will not change how I feel.

I only wish that I was in business and had you for a customer so I could take advantage of your obvious generosity.:whistling:

I wish you were in the biz too. Then you could pay the load on keeping a full blown dealership's doors open instead of a warehouse in the middle of Utah. Then I can biatch and moan about paying the higher price, because they don't compare to that warehouse, while you sign your overhead checks every month.... Next time you take a ride try to stick close to home so you can save a few bucks by ordering over the internet.

I like to shop as much as the next guy, but when circumstances rear up and bite you in the a$$, pay the money, and move on with life instead of complaining how badly your were treated..... You're not getting any sympathy here..

Being broke down on the road is a real bummer. As they say "been there done that." Had to buy tires for the car on the road as well as motorcycle tires. Had to buy other things on the road besides tires, had to have cars worked on for one reason or the other. And just about every time I've had to pay more for something then I would have if I had been at home. It is what it is.

Kind of one of those ""Supply and Demand things"

I will say this though I would pay about whatever to get something fixed when I am away from home.

Little side note, I bought a tire for a car one time and paid premium for it, a few months later the tire had a big lump on the side and when we took it off it had "second" burnt on the inside sidewall.

BOO

Hasn't happened to me on the bike, but has happened to me several times when I was on the road in my van..........your arent happy about it, but when it hits the fan you have to do what you have to do to get going again, lots of places will go out of their way to get a traveler on the way as quickly as possible, some add a premium to it some dont, I was always happy to get going again, lighter in the pocket book but on my way again. I feel your pain but it will go away with time. As they say time heals all wounds.:2cents:

I wish you were in the biz too. Then you could pay the load on keeping a full blown dealership's doors open instead of a warehouse in the middle of Utah. Then I can biatch and moan about paying the higher price, because they don't compare to that warehouse, while you sign your overhead checks every month.... Next time you take a ride try to stick close to home so you can save a few bucks by ordering over the internet.

I like to shop as much as the next guy, but when circumstances rear up and bite you in the a$$, pay the money, and move on with life instead of complaining how badly your were treated..... You're not getting any sympathy here..

Geez, sorry I mentioned this and got you all lathered up. It won't share these kinds of things here again.

Now, can I get the 40 lashes reduced to 25 or so since I've apologized?

:confused24::(:sign02:

Well Joe, if it makes you feel any better at all, I agree that they stuck it to you. I have a large Honda dealer about 14 miles up the road that is a little higher on the tire prices than you can buy them online but if you buy from him, he installs them for free. Yes, I think that they took advantage of somebody in need.

don't even want to take sides on this one but joe, they have you by the gonads. this is why i do most all my own work. even though your a good buddy heres the facts. i had a small business and overhead broke me. whether you know it or not alot of these folks are hanging on to their business by a thread. i don't know how some of them stay alive. every one wants a freebee. it's hard to compete with folks that are so big they can give stuff away. i actually had people come in and show me discount catalogs and demand i beat the price. i just could'nt cuz i could'nt buy 300 on a special price from the manufacturer. taxes are taxes. the dealer has no say so over that. owning your own business is the pits. take it from one who knows. everyone is trying to get your money.:depressed:

Well , I'm in manufacturing business where I work. The company produces , warehouses, distributes, sales wholesale and retail. It buys materials, have them shipped, stocked, and maintain to the best of our ability daily. Some items we make sit on the shelves for almost a year before they are sold , then they sale like Hotcakes. Some items we cannot keep in stock.

If the company slows down , we manage the employees to where they are not just twiddling their fingers. Why weren't them MC shop employees busy? They should be either working or go home. Workers not producing cost the company money, remember they work to make money for the company, if they are not , you do not need them. But that does not warrant to "Price Gouge" the customer because the owner made a foolish decision. The Boss make decisions everyday that affect whether the lights stay on or someone goes home. Unfortunately, I'm not on that list........bummer, need the riding time , LOL! But on the contrary, the shop is busier than a one legged flleas infested dog right now. However, My position in the company is like that Young Cute Girl up front. Well..... I'm not young or cute and I'm not cheap, but I'm not going to give myself away nor charge you more than a fair price.

Now I have several insurance policies that cover most any situations, whether it be tires(road hazard), towing, mechanical(warranty) , shelter, trip interruption. Most cover $100.00 a day with a limit. But at least it will get me to a desired shop. Everyone whom may not have any insurance such as this may want to look into Trip Insurance. I do not think it's that expensive either for piece of mind for such a long distance. Remember there is also the VR assistance list !

Freezy, Thank you for letting us know how you were treated. I appreciate it and as other members may also to avoid this place or to accept it. It's their choice, but at least you warned them.

As far as this little debate, remember all of us members come from different parts of the country or countries. Prices in CA for example are much higher due their frame of mind than that of a little ole country MC shack where Leroy wants a pork chop for Friday night dinner and he just happy for that.

Remember we are all family here, whether you like it or not !

BEER30

Freezy, that is what is known in the tire industry as road hazard. If you pay as little as $7.50/tire at the time of purchase, there is a prorated replacement policy in nearly every tire manufacturer's bag of services offered.:grandpa:

Freezy, that is what is known in the tire industry as road hazard. If you pay as little as $7.50/tire at the time of purchase, there is a prorated replacement policy in nearly every tire manufacturer's bag of services offered.:grandpa:

Does this apply to MC tires? I've never been offered this service when buying tires for a bike, although the local auto tire dealer offers it. Is it something that must be asked for?

Well , I'm in manufacturing business where I work. The company produces , warehouses, distributes, sales wholesale and retail. It buys materials, have them shipped, stocked, and maintain to the best of our ability daily. Some items we make sit on the shelves for almost a year before they are sold , then they sale like Hotcakes. Some items we cannot keep in stock.

If the company slows down , we manage the employees to where they are not just twiddling their fingers. Why weren't them MC shop employees busy? They should be either working or go home. Workers not producing cost the company money, remember they work to make money for the company, if they are not , you do not need them. But that does not warrant to "Price Gouge" the customer because the owner made a foolish decision. The Boss make decisions everyday that affect whether the lights stay on or someone goes home. Unfortunately, I'm not on that list........bummer, need the riding time , LOL! But on the contrary, the shop is busier than a one legged flleas infested dog right now. However, My position in the company is like that Young Cute Girl up front. Well..... I'm not young or cute and I'm not cheap, but I'm not going to give myself away nor charge you more than a fair price.

Now I have several insurance policies that cover most any situations, whether it be tires(road hazard), towing, mechanical(warranty) , shelter, trip interruption. Most cover $100.00 a day with a limit. But at least it will get me to a desired shop. Everyone whom may not have any insurance such as this may want to look into Trip Insurance. I do not think it's that expensive either for piece of mind for such a long distance. Remember there is also the VR assistance list !

Freezy, Thank you for letting us know how you were treated. I appreciate it and as other members may also to avoid this place or to accept it. It's their choice, but at least you warned them.

As far as this little debate, remember all of us members come from different parts of the country or countries. Prices in CA for example are much higher due their frame of mind than that of a little ole country MC shack where Leroy wants a pork chop for Friday night dinner and he just happy for that.

Remember we are all family here, whether you like it or not !

BEER30

Yep, trip insurance would be good. In light of this little experience I am going to be investigating the AAA's of the world (and bike specific ones) to find a way to cover such incidences in the future, at least cover getting the bike to a dealer of my choice.