IGNORED

Headlight Modulators, are they safe?

Freebird

I believe the best statement so far in this discussion was to have all drivers, "drive defensively." Driving through a stop sign when you admit you see something coming is not driving defensively. That's aggressive driving, like trying to beat a train. Or just being plain ignorant, irresponsible, and/or stupid.

Drive defensively whether in a car or on a motorcycle. Drive defensively whether having modulating lights or not. Drive defensively whether pulling a trailer or not.

and that, my friends, is the bottom line. Not much more need be said.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Boomerbiker

I would not ride without the modulator and cannot imagine confusing it with the amber turn signal. I have caught myself with the turn signal flashing when I hadn't intended to turn and have been working through a mental process to minimize that risk.

There are actions that drivers take that are just inexplicable. The scariest observation today is the number of young female drivers that I observe at intersections and on the open road with a cell phone glued to their ear, largely oblivious to what is happening around them.

The statistics uniformly show that the very young and the elderly drivers are involved in a greater number of accidents, small comfort in this terrible tragedy.

I totally and respectfully disagree with you. NC did an extensive study on accidents involving teenagers. The result of that study is the Graduated Licenses in our state. This is copied from our DMV :

http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/graphics/pixel.gif

But you still didn't show me the study. Just because someone decided to make a law, does not mean they actually had a valid study. The IIHS with a flawed study in hand back in the 80s almost got congress to pass laws banning sport styled motorcycles and to limit horsepower to under 100hp.. They did this by doing a study, picking out the statistics that validated their position, and passed it on to politicians that had no knowledge of motorcycles so did not know it was incorrect.

Show me the study!!!

No, Hig4, it was just my personal opinion, backed up by 36 years of driving experience. I was 16 once, and when I got my licence at 17 we did some pretty stupid stuff back then, myself and most of my friends. I survived, some didnt. Like the saying goes, before you can be old and wise you must first be young and stupid. I dont need any statistics to say that most kids at 16 are way too immature to drive responsibly.

My personal opinion, backed by 34 years with a cycle endorsement and having been run off the road dozens of times and never once by a teenager, says most people on the road shouldn't be driving and couldn't pass a driver's test in a country that had tough driver's requirements. We don't need to make the driving age older, we need to make the requirements tougher.

My son has been driving since he was 15 (with a parent until 16, he is 19 now) and is a very good driver. Better than most adults. But I had him on dirt bikes since he was 12. He has had two minor accidents, neither his fault, both caused by older drivers. One driving impaired, one panicked in traffic in heavy rain. That one caused a 9 car pile up and my son was in the middle. My daughter on the other had I will not ride with, and still cannot believe the state gave her a drivers license. She has had 3 accidents that were her fault. But she is in her 20s and moved out, nothing I can do about it.

As far as being 16 once, so was I but neither myself nor most my friends did anything really stupid until we were 18 or 19 and had a little experience. That is when most kids become cocky. And our stupidy lasted through most of our 20s. I have friends now that are in their 50s and 60s still doing stupid things.

Just read this thread and have these thoughts. I don't have a modulator or any blinker on the rear lights. I do have extra lights in back, and am considering more lights in front, but won't use a modulator or blinker.

There are some cars with their turn signals right on top or beside the headllghts. These are poor design IMO because the lights blend at night and especially during the day. So I can see, a little bit how someone not paying attention and in a hurry could think a modulator was a turn signal/headlight combo, but only if they were squinting and again....not paying attention.

As always, your best defense when driving anything is to be alert, give extra room, always remember you may not be seen, and try to have a backup plan or escape route.

When slowing or stopping I keep a watchful eye on vehicles behind me and can easily use my hand or foot to blink the rear lights in a random pattern that will get LOTS more attention than any blinker. Same with my headlight and the bright switch. I can flash it in ways that will gather lots more attention than a modulator, but again, someone mentioned that there is a habit of people blinking lights to let someone know they can turn. There is one store in my small town that has it's entrance right as you exit/enter the town square. It can take a long time to make a left turn into this as traffic slows to enter the square or comes to a halt. It is common for people to slow down a little early, leave a lot of room and flash lights to let vehicles turn left. but I NEVER do this on highways at speed, and NEVER if there isn't already a reason to slow down a lot in advance that is clear to people even behind me. I have seen people come to an almost stop on 55 mph highways with traffic behind to let someone turn left. this is dangerous.

Anyway, no excuse for that gal even if she did mistake it for a turn signal, she still should have confirmed and waited.

A headlight modulator is a visibility "tool".

Accordingly, as the user of the tool, it is up to me to consider and determine when, where, and how best to use it. I turn the modulator on when I am in open road riding conditions and when I am in non-congested traffic. If I am in stop-and-go traffic I turn it off because it serves no purpose. When I approach an intersection, I turn it off, so that it cannot be misconstrued as a "signal".

In my experience the modulator has proven to be very effective when used in this manner. I can attest that on any number of occasions it has caused persons approaching me and/or in front of me to better notice me.

I have modulators on both of my bikes and will also install one right away on any bike I buy in the future. Why? Because utilized properly, it does what it's designed to do, which is increase my visibility.

Terry

A bunch of posts here and a lot to think about. There is a lot more out on the net giving both the pro and con side. I have been on the fence for a while about getting one.

The two big points seem to be:

1. It gets you noticed.

2. It could cause a challenged driver to do something dumb.

There have been a couple of post saying things like “there is no way someone could confuse the modulator for......” I think they are not giving the driving challenged enough much credit. There are people out there that are very capable of doing something unimaginably stupid. Here it is now the time the “Snowbirds” flock into the area for the winter. This is a major population increase with too many of them past their prime of being good drivers but can be confused. Will they see me or will I confuse them? I’m still on the fence but perhaps some of you can say a prayer for those of us in the sun belt.

Jerry

Guest KitCarson
A bunch of posts here and a lot to think about. There is a lot more out on the net giving both the pro and con side. I have been on the fence for a while about getting one.

The two big points seem to be:

1. It gets you noticed.

2. It could cause a challenged driver to do something dumb.

There have been a couple of post saying things like “there is no way someone could confuse the modulator for......” I think they are not giving the driving challenged enough much credit. There are people out there that are very capable of doing something unimaginably stupid. Here it is now the time the “Snowbirds” flock into the area for the winter. This is a major population increase with too many of them past their prime of being good drivers but can be confused. Will they see me or will I confuse them? I’m still on the fence but perhaps some of you can say a prayer for those of us in the sun belt.

Jerry

Hi Jerry: (This note is for everyone not picking on you)I was going to put my modulator on my bike this evening...but alas it has not gotten here yet........and yes it gets you noticed, it is like a bright flashing sun coming at you. You can hear a lot of things......there are a lot of opinions(yep I have one too!!) The plain truth of the matter is this device flashes somewhere in the area of 240 times a minute. Say to yourself...one......then try to say that 4 times in one second. There is no possible way this device can even remotely be imagined to be a turn signal.....If you ever see one on the road coming at you....you will not think it is a signal either. I have even read posts myself about people using one but turning it off as they approach an intersection......why? That is one of the places you want one.....plus a siren.....three yellow lights, and a 20mm cannon to blast the driver out of the way that ignores all this.

I live in South Carolina......when I first moved here I was watching the news and a State Trooper made the statement, South Carolina has the highest number of Idiot Drivers in the United States.....all records and Statistics support this. I hope he still has his job......that was a very true but risky statement to say on TV.

Why worry about these so called Challenged Drivers........90 percent of them are challenged!!:rotf::rotf: .They all do stupid things......so it confuses them....great.....confusion means hesitation.......in that split second of hesitation........maybe their brain will work.

I suppose what I am trying to say...is there are a lot of dumb drivers, people who glue their ear to the cellphone with one hand and tune the GPS with the other........They are going to do dumb things.....whether you run a modulator or not........It is my honest and experienced opinion anything you can do to bring attention to yourself can not hurt you......if you can be noticed or in some way help yourself more than you can hurt yourself....why resist the odds?

I did not use to feel this way....modulators are not new to me...I used to have one on a Harley Electraglide......quite a few years ago......at that time people absolutely had not seen one.......it would scare some of them, and they would pull over.....the thought I was a police officer.....I took it off because of that. But.......but.........that was a long time ago. Now it has became a game of survival if you want to ride a bike. Traffic is now full and congested.......the world is bigger and more populated......people live on computers and electronics, at work and at play......Cell Phones and all sorts of distractions. So it has become to the age now where a modulator is now a very desirable tool. In fact it is a necessity, ANYTHING YOU CAN DO THIS DAY IN OUR TRAFFIC CONGESTED WORLD TO BE SEEN..CAN ONLY HELP.

Now I have seen statements like....the modulator caused vehicles to think you are a cop and they might pull over and throw gravel on you??

Gee......if you are driving defensively what is the harm in that......you will see the vehicle slow...but maybe not.....some yes might slam on the brakes right in front of you........so the use of a modulator will bring into play some new things to look out for.......but let me end with how many of these idiots slam on the brakes for no reason in the middle of the road anyway? I really do think anything we as bikers can do to be better seen can only put the odds in our favor. I refuse to worry about those maybes...or that one in a million chance some elephants will get drunk and kill themselves....which did happen..tis on the news as I speak.......Take Care Kit

Just had a conversation with a couple of non-biker friends........they do not like modulators........so about ten years ago when I had mine, I did get a lot of flack from it.....illegal in some states I think......in any event cops did not like it.....that was another reason I removed it, but back to the ordinary citizens viewpoint. They do not like bikes period. A modulator just irritates them and further widens the gap between drivers and bikers. Just like the loud pipes and heavy bike traffic in some towns........get a lot of attention and it can sometimes backfire. So I have talked to some friends that in their opinion all they are are another annoyance from one of those crazy motorcycles. I thought it not fair if I did not present this viewpoint................however......I chose to dis-agree. That was then this is now......modulators are now becoming more common..more and more......people do know what they are.....cops are not going to pull you over for one........in fact they might pat you on the back for having one. I for myself chose to accept the advantage of one.........respect their opinion........but wish them to respect mine also. Bet you all wish mine had arrived so I would be busy huh? Kit

Guest KitCarson

Hey Thanks......I wanted to say all this stuff.....I knew what to say......just not really educated enough to say it all right......this will do it. .thanks Kit:thumbsup::thumbsup: Put mine on this evening...sure is simple compared to the used be with making wire splices.....the new ones just plug in......of course my hands would not fit up behind the fork tree......so I took the fairing off to make it easy....took me about 45 min. .

• 6 months later...

I used a "Headlight Rainbow Strobe" on my 2000 Vstar Classic. It makes subtle but noticeable colors around the edge of the headlight. The center of the beam is not affected. It does add distinction to your headlight. The goal is to make your bike distinctive, something that would make other drivers take notice.

http://www.customdynamics.com/headlight_rainbow.htm

I used a "Headlight Rainbow Strobe" on my 2000 Vstar Classic. It makes subtle but noticeable colors around the edge of the headlight. The center of the beam is not affected. It does add distinction to your headlight. The goal is to make your bike distinctive, something that would make other drivers take notice.

http://www.customdynamics.com/headlight_rainbow.htm

It's also illegal in many states.

Last summer a woman watched me approach then turned left right into me. We both stopped with my front tire touching her front bumper. She had assumed I was going to turn right when I had no such intention. My turn signal was not on and I do not have a modulator on my bike. She was just too stupid to be driving.

I have researched the modulated headlight issue quite extensively. I have not been able to find ANY studies or reports that have been done on the effectiveness of modulated headlights. The only study that has been referred to is the Hurt study which was completed in 1990. Regarding headlights this study addressed the "Conspicuity" of a rider. The only reference regarding headlights is "Conspicuity of the motorcycle is a critical factor in the multiple vehicle accidents, and accident involvement is significantly reduced by the use of motorcycle headlamps (on in daylight) and the wearing of high visibility yellow, orange or bright red jackets." It does not address the use of modulated headlights. The link for a summary of the report is here http://www.clarity.net/~adam/hurt-report.html

I have spoken with a close friend of mine who was a long time motorcycle police officer. He said that at one time they had them on their bikes as standard equipment but that they took them off because the accident rate associated with being struck by another vehicle went up after they were installed. He also stated that after they took them off the accident rate went down. Can’t find any documentation regarding this, only have what was told to me.

Before you make a decision change anything on your bike you should be sure to do your homework. Unfortunately when it comes to modulated headlights there really is is no hard data to rely, only antidotes, so you have to use your own gut. There are several proven things you can do to increase conspicuity. Wearing high visibility clothing and, as ugly as it may seem to some, a white helmet are two of those things. Personally until I can get good data regarding whether modulated headlights increase or decrease my safety I will stick with the methods I know are proven. Take a course, wear high visibility clothing and keep my head on a swivel at all times.

Also, a little background on motorcycle headlights. Federal law requires that a headlight be mounted on all on-road motorcycles but when this light must be illuminated was left to state law. The manufacturers established that the lights would always be on so that the customer would not have to be trying to remember if they are in a state that required them on or not. In other words while the installing of the lights were required the wiring so that they are always on was, and still is, a voluntary action by the manufacturers.

Last year I had folks high beam me and found that I

was blinding them with my new light bar that was

not adjusted correctly... I did look at them from a distance

and I did notice how much the front light and the bar

lights had blinded me, let alone seeing my turn signals.

They are re-adjusted now and I do not get the high

flash from cars anymore.

Just a thought.:confused07:

Jeff

I have noticed that people see me more now since I use the modulator . Shouldn't actually be a debate on that subject . Now how the modulator is interpreted would be more the topic on hand . I had cagers pull over thinking I am LEO , to totally ignoring me . Cagers on cell phone , eating , day dreaming , reading books , text messaging , to "you two need to get a room" , do as they darn well please or go out of their way to possibly cause an accident . Certain people just do not care ! It has and always will be up to the MC rider to make the decision on how they drive and the way the cager nearby drives .

I have my modulator on all the time , It has helped , it has gotten people mad at me to voice their opinion verbally at a red light , but hey , they saw me .

Now questions and topic nobody has addressed yet , FRONT TURN SIGNALS ! With passing lamps and headlights all centrally located in a small amount of space . Most turn signals on some scoots are barely visible when activated as driving lights drown out them .

Perhaps turn signals up on the mirrors , spread out at further points , or down low around the highway pegs . We worry about how little light we have in the rear , but not too much yelling about the amount and visibility up in front !

BEER30

As a lot of you know, I never did like the modulator light system. There is a lot of different drivers on the road, young, old, handy-cap, drunk, crazed, and so on. I can see how, if a driver was stopped he or she would think the blinking light may be a turn signal. Only because they don't know and who knows what they are thinking at that time. That's how accidents happen. Not only that, if there is one behind me it's very annoying for me and I will get out of that position ASPA. Some one that is not familiar may think it's a police car and pull over, they are not pulling over just to let you by. That's my :2cents:

Edited by Al Bates

This topic could go on forever with opinions flying left and right and up and down. I am surprised there hasn't been some genuine controlled study done to show the pros and cons of using them. Until there is a good study I'm inclined to keep my money at home, or spend it on other upgrades. My own practical and subjective experience is that, yes, of course, they call attention to yourself--and sometimes that may help, but sometimes it may hinder.

I have myself been disoriented when meeting a modulating bike. In the end, if some one inexplicably registers a modulating headlight as a signal light, it does little good to rail against that person for stupidly seeing what obviously is not a signal. What counts is how the person registers the modulating effect, not how you think the person ought to register it.

Rip

But with a person with a tad bit of common since would ponder on the thought a little bit more to figure what the intentions of the MC driver is doing , plus the fact that is does make the cager more aware that there is a MC approaching .

First people need to be educated on what they are . Also be educated what they mean . Then educated on looking a little bit harder to see what the MC is doing . So adding all this education means that they slow down , look , and THINK and then give the MC the same respect as a cager .

Now we need is our bright colored Pink , Yeller , Red helmets to light up and strobe !

BEER30

When we drive as when we ride we have a lot of things going on that we need to watch for, besides the fact that we add to that with all the things we shouldn't. Most of these things, stop signs\lights, other signs, pedestrians etc.etc. go by us almost unthought of, we see them in a glance, decifer them, compute them, add them to the list if necessary and drive on or pull out or make our move based, not necessarily on reality, but what we percieve to be the truth. Something new, such as a modulated head light can be taken either as a warning (as intended) or as a signal light, or as a signal to go ahead, in which case it's an accident waiting to happen.

The other thought that comes to mind is that for the rider with a mod. headlight, some people will pay attention and react well to the new item on their list and so notice the scoot. That being said, as a rider we may led into thinking that we are being seen and so take less caution when we should be more cautious in a given situation.

My take on this is: use your high beam at all times, use only your low beam when meeting someone at night, and make constant use of driving lights. Using these two tools will probably do more for safety than anything else. Take some time for yourself the next time you are out on the road,,,, check out the bikes coming toward you,,,,,do you notice a low beam???? or does it blend nicely with the rest of the colors you see,,,,,now meet a scoot with high beam and driving lights going,,,,,AHHHHH there is something there,,,looks big,,, better maybe pay attention.

And oh yah, stay out of the right hand track, we have no use,need,right,, for the right hand track except for when we actually need to turn right, and then it's best and safer to do so from the left hand track anyways.

JMT

Carl