IGNORED

North to Alaska

Gary N.

Well, our "Bucket List" trip to Alaska has begun. Got a late start this morning and got held up at the US boarder again by the fruit and vegetable police. Had to detour around some street flooding in Dearborn and we really got tied up in some heavy and slooooow traffic in Chicago. Finally made it into Wisconsin where we stopped for tonight.

Our plan is to leave the Space Shuttle at a friend's place near Edmonton Alberta this weekend and then head out on the bike for Prince Rupert BC where we catch a ferry for Juneau Ak on 6/20. After that we have no set plans and will just go with the flow.

Will update when ever I can get a conection.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:sign kewl:

Someday I'll make that trip, but that one may be a few years yet, and I've got to take Karen with me.

Enjoy the ride, and post often. I'd love to see some pics along the way.

What part of WI did you end up in? Not that I could have met up with you since I'm in Conneticut tonight, but just curious.

Later, Scooter Bob

Are you taking the bikes off the ferry when you get to Juneau?? It's a water access only town, but thought it wouild be cool to wander around on a bike, and then hop back on a ferry. Sort of 'town hop' up the coast. Skagway I think is the only town with access to the AlCan if you want to go into the Yukon.

Haines is the main port to re-attach to the Alcan. You have to drive back into Canada and then left to the Alaska border. It's a few hundred miles. You can switch ferries either in Haines or Skagway and end up in Whittier (50 miles south of Anchorage).

Made it to my friends place near Edmonton last Saturday. He is the fellow who bought my '46 Chevy truck two years ago. All I can say is, it went to a real good home. This guy has over seventy, (70) finished street rods and antiques. I couldn't believe my eyes. Word can't describe his property, house and garages. I'm not using my regular lap top but I'll try and post some pics. It was nice to see my old truck again and he even let me take it for a ride. Here's a link to his web site for some pics of his collection http://streis-streetrods.com/

We left there Sunday morning and headed west on the bike. As we entered Jasper National Park we were greated by a young moose standing guard just inside of the park. We also saw some mountain goats and sheep. We stayed in Jasper last night and headed out this morning and saw three elk along the way to Prince George where we are tonight.

The weather was been pretty good so far. Started warm and sunny yesterday but got cloudy and cool last night. Had a couple of rain drop over night but this morning it was partly cloudy when we left and about 50*. It didn't warm up much today. Only about 60*. We drove through about 14 rain drops all day but when we were three miles from the hotel it started coming down pretty good and it started to hail. Man them little buggers hurt when they hit your face. It only lasted for a couple of minutes and it was all over. Not much go'n on here so we are going to continue west tomorrow. Looks like we'll be ahead of schedule so we'll get a chance to explore a bit before we get on the ferry Sunday.

Looks like ya`ll are having a great time Gary, ya`ll be safe and watch out for them criters!!

Made it to my friends place near Edmonton last Saturday. He is the fellow who bought my '46 Chevy truck two years ago. All I can say is, it went to a real good home. This guy has over seventy, (70) finished street rods and antiques. I couldn't believe my eyes. Word can't describe his property, house and garages. I'm not using my regular lap top but I'll try and post some pics. It was nice to see my old truck again and he even let me take it for a ride. Here's a link to his web site for some pics of his collection http://streis-streetrods.com/

We left there Sunday morning and headed west on the bike. As we entered Jasper National Park we were greated by a young moose standing guard just inside of the park. We also saw some mountain goats and sheep. We stayed in Jasper last night and headed out this morning and saw three elk along the way to Prince George where we are tonight.

The weather was been pretty good so far. Started warm and sunny yesterday but got cloudy and cool last night. Had a couple of rain drop over night but this morning it was partly cloudy when we left and about 50*. It didn't warm up much today. Only about 60*. We drove through about 14 rain drops all day but when we were three miles from the hotel it started coming down pretty good and it started to hail. Man them little buggers hurt when they hit your face. It only lasted for a couple of minutes and it was all over. Not much go'n on here so we are going to continue west tomorrow. Looks like we'll be ahead of schedule so we'll get a chance to explore a bit before we get on the ferry Sunday.

We're in Kitimat BC tonight. I remembered learning something about this place in elementary school. Maybe it was the funny sounding name that made the info stick with me but I recalled that smelting aluminium was a big deal here so thought I would come and check it out. So far I've learned that they have lots of electric power due to a damn they built somewhere near here and they need lots of power to make aluminium. They also have a beautiful deep water port to ship it out. Pulp and paper mill that was here has closed.

The scenery looks brilliant out there Gary, I'm sure you both are having a good time, though the weather seems a little cool.

Its supposed to go into the 90's here on the weekend, gonna be a beautiful ride down to Don's.

Stay safe guys.

Ian & Pat