IGNORED

Bikers band together for Gary Nantais

BradT

We are a very large "family" and we will all be there for Gary, Bruce and their entire family! That's who we are!!

Bobbie, there is no new news on Gary, sorry to say, as of yet. Their sons are at his side.

Lets all keep them in our prayers, it seems that is all we can do right now.

That was a nice article. I was surprised they came to the site.

Margaret

Kudo's - if one can say that at this time - could go to that writer I guess for telling a heart warming story of a wonderful family in retirement and wishing life's enjoyment. Though this is a tough time, we too are so proud to be associated with this family called VentureRiders.

Barbara and my hearts and prayers pour out to Gary and Leslie's families - I just wish I was closer to be able to offer more assistance.

When I looked at the picture blown up, I have to say it is truly a miracle that Gary survived the impact.

Once that I read that the girl stopped, was not on a cell phone, but made a conscious decision to pull out while seeing a modulating headlight, I am even more frustrated. It is bad enough to be careless, but to consciously make that decision.

RandyA

When I looked at the picture blown up, I have to say it is truly a miracle that Gary survived the impact.

Once that I read that the girl stopped, was not on a cell phone, but made a conscious decision to pull out while seeing a modulating headlight, I am even more frustrated. It is bad enough to be careless, but to consciously make that decision.

RandyA

I was trying to keep to myself and pray for Gary and Leslie, but RandyA you have brought out something that I have seen many times in my 37 years in Law Enforcement. Why people make a "conscious decision" to pull out infront of something that they can plainly see. It makes NO SENSE at all.

It does me good to see that there are so many people "here" that are "family" to the rest of us. And that these "family people" get together to help one of their own. I know that I made a wise decision to join this "SITE". GOD bless Leslie and Gary and all the VentureRider family members.

Ken

I was trying to keep to myself and pray for Gary and Leslie, but RandyA you have brought out something that I have seen many times in my 37 years in Law Enforcement. Why people make a "conscious decision" to pull out in front of something that they can plainly see. It makes NO SENSE at all.

It does me good to see that there are so many people "here" that are "family" to the rest of us. And that these "family people" get together to help one of their own. I know that I made a wise decision to join this "SITE". GOD bless Leslie and Gary and all the VentureRider family members.

Ken

I'm a Little older now, but when I was 16 I remember coming to a T intersection. I looked both ways and seeing that the way was clear proceeded to make a left turn, as I pulled into my lane I heard what sounded like a Grey Hound bus coming to a fast halt, no screaming tires, just the big diesel loosing rpm's. When I looked in my mirror there was this big brute farm tractor right on my bumper. Did I see him? Nope! Was he there when I looked? Had to have been. Seems that something didn't register in my brain. Max speed for him is 25 mph so he wasn't that far away. Did I forget to look? No I clearly remember looking both ways. So what happened? I don't really know, but I'd say there was an angel looking after him and me, we were both at the end of the line and he was probably thinking: dumb kid, didn't he look? he almost took both of us out! I guess at times our eyes will see things but if our brain fails to comprehend the info, then it won't process what it should have. Highway rules state that when you come to stop you must look both ways, wait 10 seconds and look again before proceeding. I don't think anyone does this but there may be a reason for the rule.

Brad,

Thanks for the link to the article.

Below is a copy of the Email is sent to the reporter in response to the article.

"I would like to take but a moment of your time to send you a personal thank you for your article concerning the fatal traffic accident involving Gary and Leslie Nantais. Leslie will be missed by all who's life she touched both as a teacher and as a fellow VentureRider.

As a member of the VentureRiders, I also thank you for the comments concerning the VentureRiders. Too often most folks, to include the media, have the wrong impression of both motorcyclists and motorcycle groups. As you noted, for the VentureRiders, it is not a "club", but a family.

The article also lead Gary and Leslie's sons to the VentureRider site and let them know how well thought of their mother and father were by the members of the VentureRider family.

Again, thank you for the article.

As an aside, the VentureRiders with be gathering in Kitchener, Ontario next summer. I extend to you an invitation to stop by and spend some time with us."

"I guess at times our eyes will see things but if our brain fails to comprehend the info, then it won't process what it should have."

That may be so in some cases, but a lot of the time the driver does see you and clearly comprehends the situation, and still pulls out in front of you. i've had my share of those close calls with the other driver looking you right in the eye. just last week i was traveling west on hwy 22 towards fort smith when i saw i young lady in a white dodge pickup come to a stop at the intersection of hwy 22 & hwy 23. hwy 23 has a stop sign and hwy 22 does not. she stopped at the stop sign and looked left and saw it was clear and went ahead and started across before looking to her right (where i was). she was about 5 feet into the intersection before she looked right and saw me and hit her brakes. i was pretty close but could have stopped. had she stayed put everything would have been fine but when i got to the point of no return she (while still looking right at me) started rolling out again. by now i could not possibly stop before hitting her passenger door. my only option at this point was to lean hard to the right and try to get past in front of her. when she saw me speed up and lean to the right she decided to try to beat me across the intersection. i dropped a gear and gave it all i could and gritted my teeth for the impact, but somehow i made it past her front bumper with inches to spare. as i passed her i had to lean back left pretty hard to keep from going off the road on the right hand side. after i straightened up enough i looked in my mirror and saw her go bouncing into a service station drive and come to a stop. i went on down to the bank where i was headed which was just about a 1/4 mile further and made my deposit and went back towards home. as i passed by i saw that she was still sitting there in her truck in the parking lot with both hands gripped on the wheel. i know it must have shook her up about as much as it did me, but why in the world did she pull that stunt. why was it so important that she beat me through the intersection. heck, i would have let her if she had just gave me the chance. just can't figure some people.

Here is an interesting article on the accident.

http://www.the-daily-record.com/news/article/2719321

This gives another version of the accident.

Peggy

Thanks Peggy, this is getting more and more difficult to understand. About the only thing I feel for sure is that girl was not ready to be driving a car.

RandyA