IGNORED

Going to part ways................

DragonRider

Not from VR, but from my beloved 1st Gen. It just seems to be one thing after another, got it all painted and pretty and the brakes started acting up.The brakes had never given me a problem before I took it apart for the repaint, so I am baffled now as to why all the trouble. I would imagine the calipers need to be rebuilt. I put new pads all the way around, replaced the rear reservoir, started using Dot 4 brake fluid, and the brakes are still locking up after riding for a short while, while I was doing all of this today I found my front fender was cracked starting where the speedo cable holder is, something must have hit it because it was perfect when I put it back together. 2nd gear needs to be taken care of, it shifts into it but if you get on it hard it will pop out, was going to wait on Muffinman to help me with that, but I am just tired of having to do something to it everytime I turn around. It runs great, doesnt leak oil, has new Shinko radial on the rear, an Avon Venom on the front with about 50% thread left on it. It has am/fm,intercom, CB radio,Sony 10 CD changer mounted in the saddle bag and it all works perfectly. I also have an extra CB radio to go with it. I would like to get $1800.00 for it.

I am going to give it one more chance, and if the info I read from Condor works on the brakes, this thread will dissappear............PLEASE STAND BY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:think::think:

[ATTACH]45619[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]45620[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]45621[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]45622[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]45623[/ATTACH]

Edited by DragonRider

After reading Condor's post about the relief hole, I pulled it all apart again and guess what..............IT'S FIXED..........YIPPEEEEE !!!!!!!!!!!

I guess I owe Condor big time..........next drink is on me.

DISREGARD THE PART ABOUT GETTING RID OF MY WONDERFUL 1ST GEN.........I was frustrated and fed up.......all is good again till Muffinman gets here........

Sorry Dan, didnt mean to get you all excited....and tell the Warden not to worry!!!

I showed it to Warden and she started making threats!!!!:confused24:

Glad to hear you got that brake problem fixed. And I'd like to say I LOVE the paint job! Did you do that yourself or have it done? I've got an 83 that I still plan to repaint myself. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

But if you ever think about letting her go again, shoot me a PM will yeah. :)

Safe riding!

hmmm why does this sound familiar?

im in the same boat when it comes to the brakes

i thought sell it and walk away from mine as well.

now if i can just get a pic as to where this hole is every one talks about?

now i removed what i thought was the master but im guessing i just pulled the res? it was full of yellow film like crap. now im feeling like a fool so what does the master realy look like LOL

/

Here is the picture I posted in your original post.............in this picture it is the bottom hole.

[ATTACH]45675[/ATTACH]

now i removed what i thought was the master but im guessing i just pulled the res? it was full of yellow film like crap. now im feeling like a fool so what does the master realy look like LOL

/

now i removed what i thought was the master but im guessing i just pulled the res? it was full of yellow film like crap. now im feeling like a fool so what does the master realy look like LOL /

Just found this in tech libarary, suspension...

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12536:fingers crossed:

If I threaten to sell it again, will you send the muffin down to fix my tranny...............:duck::duck:

Glad you're gonna keep her. I remember the last time you threatened to get rid of her. You got a visit from Muffinman. Be a bit tougher this time, so I'm glad ya fixed her.

Margaret

:duck:

I did all the prep work, but a co-worker of mine shot the paint for me. Thanks for the compliments, I think he did an outstanding job also.

Glad to hear you got that brake problem fixed. And I'd like to say I LOVE the paint job! Did you do that yourself or have it done? I've got an 83 that I still plan to repaint myself. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

But if you ever think about letting her go again, shoot me a PM will yeah. :)

Safe riding!

I have to ask a question though. You stated you started using dot 4 brake fluid. I am asking this because I dont know and testing your intelligience but are brake fluids actually cmpatible with going backwards? I mean I know you dont want to use dot 3 in a dot 4 or 5 system but I didnt know if it was okay to use dot 4 in a dot 3.

My v65 sabre uses dot 4 and I was surprised to see that the venture was dot 3 but it is also a year older than the sabre.

Thanks,

Karl

I did all the prep work, but a co-worker of mine shot the paint for me. Thanks for the compliments, I think he did an outstanding job also.

If you did the prep work that is the important part. Shooting the paint is the easy part.But it takes a little practice.

"Ugly" is starting to loose 2nd. I have a tranny just haven't got brave enough yet.I got parts scattered everywhere this spring then got sick and it made a good excuse for me to sit on my butt and do nothing!!! Gotta find my get up and go again.

If you did the prep work that is the important part. Shooting the paint is the easy part.But it takes a little practice.

"Ugly" is starting to loose 2nd. I have a tranny just haven't got brave enough yet.I got parts scattered everywhere this spring then got sick and it made a good excuse for me to sit on my butt and do nothing!!! Gotta find my get up and go again.

Better get moving quick Dan. MD is fast approaching ya know. Sure wouldn't want ya to miss it now would we?:whistling:

Larry

Here is a primer in brake fluids.................

Brake Fluid Primer DOT 3

DOT 4

DOT 5

DOT 5.1

N.B. There are many racing fluids available..bringing the price and the quality of DOT 3 and DOT 4 far beyond the standards fluid.

DOT 3 DOT3 brake fluid is the "conventional" brake fluid used in most vehicles.

Advantages:

It is inexpensive, and available at most gas stations, department stores, and any auto parts store.

It is completely compatible with DOT 3 and DOT 5.1.

Disadvantages:

http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/DOT3usage.jpgIt will damage the original natural rubber brake seals so should not be used in any car suspected of having natural rubber seals (most Triumphs prior to 1968).

It eats paint.

It absorbs water very readily. Accordingly, once a container of DOT 3 has been opened, it should not be stored for periods much longer than a week before use.

It is NOT compatible with Dot 5 whatsoever and should never be mixed. A safe swtich from DOT 3/DOT 4/DOT 5.1 to DOT 5 requires a complete flush of the braking system and a change of all seals in the hydraulic system.

Maintenance

Flush every 2 years.

DOT 4 Advantages:

It is available at most auto parts stores, and gas stations and department stores.

It does not absorb water as readily as DOT 3 fluid.

It has a higher boiling point than DOT 3 fluid, making it more suitable for high performance applications where the brake systems are expected to get hot.

It is completely compatible with DOT 3 and DOT 5.1.

Disadvantages:

It eats paint.

It is about 50% more expensive than DOT 3 fluid. (One brand is the easily found Castrol LMA)

It is NOT compatible with Dot 5 whatsoever and should never be mixed. A safe swtich from DOT 3/DOT 4/DOT 5.1 to DOT 5 requires a complete flush of the braking system and a change of all seals in the hydraulic system.

Maintenance

Flush every 2 years.

DOT 5 DOT 5 brake fluid is also known as "silicone" brake fluid. It was designed for the US Army, who has requested permnission to stop using it.

Advantages:

It does not eat paint or skin.

It does not absorb water (BUT!!! See more on this under disadvantages, below.)

It has a higher boiling point than DOT 3 and DOT 4.

It is compatible with all rubber formulations.

It is a good choice for Concours cars which are rarely driven and/or never driven hard.

Disadvantages:

It does NOT mix with DOT3 or DOT 4 or DOT 5.1. Most reported problems with DOT 5 are probably due to some degree of mixing with other fluid types. A residue of the former non-compatible fluid is suffuocent to cause serious issues. The best way to convert to DOT 5 is to totally rebuild the hydraulic system. Additionally, the same advice applies if switching from Dot 5 to any of the other fluids.

Since DOT5 does not absorb water, any moisture in the hydraulic system will "puddle" in one place. This can cause localized corrosion in the hydraulics.

Careful bleeding is required to get all of the air out of the system. It is hard to you without introducing bubbles and thus results in soft pedal feel. These small bubbles will form large bubbles over time. It may be necessary to do a series of bleeds.

DOT 5 is less compressible (often creating a slightly softer pedal). It is not recommedned for racing application.

It is hard to pour without introducing bubbles and thus results in soft pedal feel,

It is not recommended by the brake manufacturer, espcially for ABS brakes.

It is about twice as expensive as DOT 4 fluid.

So silicone fluid aerates easily. Harley-Davison, one of the sole current OEM users of silicone fluid, warns buyers to let the fluid sit at least an hour before using it. If shaken on the way homeit will aerate enough to look like a freshly poured soft drink. Silicone fluid is also slightly more compressible than glycol fluid, does not change color to tip the user to its moisture content, and worst of all, neither accepts or disperses moisture, making systems using it more corrosion prone, and requiring much more frequent fluid changes. Silicone brake fluid also lacks glycol fluid's naturally occuring lubricity, making it incompatible with the mechanical valving in some antilock braking systems.

Dot 5.1 http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/brakefluid51.jpgDOT5.1 is a relatively new brake fluid that is causing no end of confusion amongst mechanics. The DOT could avoided a lot of confusion by giving this new fluid a different designation. The 5.1 designation could lead one to believe that it's a modification of silicone-based DOT 5 brake fluid. Calling it 4.1 or 6 might have been more appropriate since it's a glycol-based fluid like the DOT 3 and 4 types, not silicone-based like DOT 5 fluid.

As far as the basic behavior of 5.1 fluids, they are much like "high performance" DOT 4 fluids.

Advantages:

It provides superior performance over all the other brake fluids discussed here. It has a higher boiling point, either dry or wet, than DOT 3 or 4 or even DOT 5. In fact, its dry boiling point (about 275 degrees C) is almost as high as racing fluid (about 300 degrees C) and 5.1's wet boiling point (about 175 to 200 degrees C) is naturally much higher than racing's (about 145 C).

It is compatible with all rubber formulations.

It is completely compatible with DOT 3 and DOT 4 making an upgrade from either easy..

Disadvantages:

It will absorb water.

It will eat paint.

It is more difficult to find for sale, typically at very few auto parts stores. Try NAPA #NBF51012

It is mildly more expensive than DOT3 or DOT4.

I have to ask a question though. You stated you started using dot 4 brake fluid. I am asking this because I dont know and testing your intelligience but are brake fluids actually cmpatible with going backwards? I mean I know you dont want to use dot 3 in a dot 4 or 5 system but I didnt know if it was okay to use dot 4 in a dot 3.

My v65 sabre uses dot 4 and I was surprised to see that the venture was dot 3 but it is also a year older than the sabre.

Thanks,

Karl

Yesterday I was in Estes Park, CO., enjoying a yougart peach desert and saw a beautiful I Gen VR Blue, ca 86+ in the parking lot. Nice to see them survive. You and I are both helping that out, OLD Goat. (BYW: all parts arrived and will look and try soon and $ later; thanks again!).

JackZ:thumbsup::clap2::Venture::thumbsup2::dancefool::dancefool::big-grin-emoticon::happy65: