IGNORED

Maintenance Day border crossing warning...

Guest Swifty

Nothing against the Canadians, and I think we should still be able to raom back and forth as we use to. That being said, the farmer should be paying an American citizen to do that work. They are right, it is a paying job, barter, but still paid.

As for the strip search, that is sad!

BTW: If the orginization reccomends that their name not be mentioned.... Wonder if alqueda has the same policy?

That was ridiculous. There was no call for that sort of treatment to that young woman. I can't even type what I really think. Is there any political or legal action that she can take due to that treatment. Anything could have happened to that young woman after they sent her on her way.

Margaret

Good luck on getting a "American citizen" to do just about any "work" on a farm. It has been over 25 years since a "American citizen" has ever graced my door for work. When I grew up we all did various jobs on the local farms around here. But now with FEMA, child labor laws, IRS, DEC, INS and every other do-gooder employed by our fine government you dare not hire just about anyone and better figure out a way to do your work using a machine. Work builds character. If you don't learn to work when your a kid you don't become a productive adult later in life. But don't hire any kid looking to make money now, if you do your a bad person and have everyone into your business.:rant: :2cents::D

Guest Swifty
That being said, the farmer should be paying an American citizen to do that work.

I didn't expect that one.

Good luck on getting a "American citizen" to do just about any "work" on a farm. It has been over 25 years since a "American citizen" has ever graced my door for work.

But I expected that one...and agree with it when it comes to Canadian farms too.

Born and raised on a farm, worked it from 5 until I enlisted in the Army, and we never had a problem with labor, nor did our neighbors.

As for not having people knock on your door for work, it really is a shame. I enjoyed the work, and still help with the hay season for my old neighbors, never ask for money, but there is always plenty of cold beer on the wagon. Pun not intended.

Guest Swifty
Born and raised on a farm, worked it from 5 until I enlisted in the Army, and we never had a problem with labor, nor did our neighbors.

As for not having people knock on your door for work, it really is a shame. I enjoyed the work, and still help with the hay season for my old neighbors, never ask for money, but there is always plenty of cold beer on the wagon. Pun not intended.

Raised on a farm too. It might be connected to the type of farm work. Dairy and ranching...perhaps not too many immigrant workers? Cash cropping, fruit and vegetables...more immigrant workers...at least that was the way we ran them in the banana belt of Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario.

Which still leaves the question about fish farming on the ponds of large Ohio estates.

:fingers-crossed-emo

Technically she probably did need a work visa. Reason to turn her back but the strip search seems a bit much.

Also, farm workers in the U.S. speak Spanish, not French. Perhaps that made them suspicious of her story:confused07:

It's been a long time since I've crossed the border with Canada but I used to periodically. Got turned back once by Canada because I was bringing firewood. They were very polite, way nicer than when I normally get thrown out of places. On the other hand our own people often behaved like asses, and I'm a citizen over here:confused24:.

Next time she should make sure she's on a watch list. That seems to be the only sure way to get let in.

How much ya wanna bet that job is probably being done by an illegal from south of the boarder. What I don't understand is why Homeland Security is tighter than a frog's a$$ with Canada, and like a sieve with Mexico... They should just rename the southern boarder the 'Santa Ana Freeway'.... Oooop's that might not be politically correct...:whistling:

How much ya wanna bet that job is probably being done by an illegal from south of the boarder. What I don't understand is why Homeland Security is tighter than a frog's a$$ with Canada, and like a sieve with Mexico... They should just rename the southern boarder the 'Santa Ana Freeway'.... Oooop's that might not be politically correct...:whistling:

Ain't that the truth.

Whether we're getting the whole story or not it sadens me that the girl was treated this way.

Larry

Was a crime committed?? If so why did they send her by taxi to the bus station, if not then I wonder why she was photographed and finger printed. Should she have not just been refused entry?? Seems more than a bit strange to me and reeks of the heavy handidness of some small minded person with the proverbial "big man" syndrome. Fortuneately they are few and far between and the majority are trying to do their best at a difficult job. Gotta watch out for them radical Canadians....look what they did to the Penguins.:stirthepot:

Could you imagine the uproar from south of the boarder if that would have happened to an American Citizen entering Canada????:225: Do the words "international incident" mean anything to you??? As they say, you could do 1000 good deeds and no one remembers but one thing wrong and it's never forgotten. Why is it that some American citizens won't even wear their own flag/flag pin when they travel abroad??? Could it be that they realize the rest of the world has a tarnished view of them??

You're right, there are two sides to every story. I don't know anything about this organization but from what I read it would seem that this "job" was more educational than work related. Wonderful treatment for someone looking for an education (guess she got one). If you're gonna refuse someone entry into the country just say no and send them on their merry way........what's up with the humiliation of a strip search?:Avatars_Gee_George:

Not only do I have relatives living south of the boarder but I know quite a number of fine upstanding folks throughout the US and I know there are far more, but it's incidents like these that have a tendancy to :depressed:tarnish:depressed: the image of the red, white and blue.

Perhaps a little "sensitivity" training would be in order?

Believe it or not, because we let them VOTE!

In the 1980's, I "worked" on a project in Montreal for 9 months. Every(almost) weekend I was home, so border crossing every Monday and Friday. Well, getting into Canada required using the correct words to proceed without long delays. First of all, I was not "working", I was a "consultant" to a Canadian project. Also, I had no sales literature, only personal reference material. Also, only enough smokes for personal use, and a few other standard "correct" answers.

I also carried a letter signed by major manager of the company I worked for and on company letterhead stating that I was a "consultant" for the company's Canadian division.

The point is, border crossing can be a problem in either direction from time to time. Just knowing the correct answers can be the difference between a nightmare and the minor inconvenience it should be. I must say that entry into Canada by private boat was the easiest crossing I've ever done. Then again, I may be home illegally as the US customs office was closed the day of my return.

Entry into Germany was easier, even though a passport was required. No one even wanted to look at it.

In all of my trips to Canada, Canadian Customs were always a pleasure compared to US Customs. Sounds like that is still true today as well.

But, a strip search??? Totally over the top.

Joe

She was told to take off everything except her jumper and was patted down. Then she was fingerprinted and photographed. Quote from her statement.

Thats not a strip search. btw, if someone is taken into custody, even briefly, for any reason, they are always searched to make sure they aren't carrying a weapon. While I don't like it, it makes sense from a LEO point of view.

If she had been in a private vehicle, the vehicle would likely have just been turned around. The fact that she was on a bus that would continue on without her, means she had to disembark within the US customs station.

Could you imagine the uproar from south of the boarder if that would have happened to an American Citizen entering Canada????:225: Do the words "international incident" mean anything to you??? As they say, you could do 1000 good deeds and no one remembers but one thing wrong and it's never forgotten. Why is it that some American citizens won't even wear their own flag/flag pin when they travel abroad??? Could it be that they realize the rest of the world has a tarnished view of them??

You're right, there are two sides to every story. I don't know anything about this organization but from what I read it would seem that this "job" was more educational than work related. Wonderful treatment for someone looking for an education (guess she got one). If you're gonna refuse someone entry into the country just say no and send them on their merry way........what's up with the humiliation of a strip search?:Avatars_Gee_George:

Not only do I have relatives living south of the boarder but I know quite a number of fine upstanding folks throughout the US and I know there are far more, but it's incidents like these that have a tendancy to :depressed:tarnish:depressed: the image of the red, white and blue.

Perhaps a little "sensitivity" training would be in order?

I agree 100%. I am tried and true American. I've lived in the deep south all my life. It shames me to hear stories like this one. If she had broken a law or even suspected of braking a law the border patrol should say "sorry mam but I am denying you entry into the US for the following reasons". You then list the reasons. You should always be polite unless it gets ugly then use whatever force you need to use to back up you decision.

And there are two sides to every story and she may have gotten a little ugly but the US border patrol should have just denied her entry into the US and that's all. If it got to ugly for the US to handle then they should have asked for help from Canadian officials to take care of their Canadian citizen.

I love my country but from what I have heard the US was totally wrong!

There are actually three sides to every story - her side, the border patrol side and somewhere in between, the truth!!

I have been crossing the Can/US border regularly for 5 years now and I have never had an issue from either side - must be my charming personna!!!!:rotfl::rotf::rotfl::rotf: