IGNORED

Let's talk about rain suits!

Midrsv

I'm ready to look for a new rain suit. I have a set of Frogg Togg Road Toads but I don't like the pants. After wearing them a few times they seem really worn in the crotch and seat area. The jacket seems OK. I have a pair of nylon rain pants I picked up at the Bass Pro shop that I really like but I have a hole in one of the legs that I've got patched with duct tape. The things I like about these pants is that they pack up really small into their own back pocket and they are light weight.

I've looked at Nelson Riggs, Tourmaster and Fieldsheer suits and they all seem to be much heavier and bulkier to pack and they seem like they would be very hot during summer showers. I stopped at a Harley shop recently and found this packable suit that seems OK but I hate the logo emblazend across the back, http://www.stpaulharley.com/Men-s-Packable-Rainsuit-98028-09VM-p/98028-09vm.htm

I don't want pants with suspenders because I want to be able to throw the jacket on first quickly if I need to. What's everybody using for rain gear?

Dennis

Whatever I have to stay dry. One police issue (orange) breathable jacket and a pair of Hein Gerige slip one pants. I also have a pair of gator boot protectors from H/D but they don't help much if it is a hard rain. Actually none of this stuff helps much it is a hard rain.

:farmer:

I wear wetskins from Costco, they fit well and are heavy enuff not to flap around. You can also get them in an insulated and non insulated versions....about 70 bux CDN if I remember right for the non insulated. They dont fold up real small, but I saved the plastic bag that they were bought in and leave it kinda like a shirt you buy in the store, square and flat so it can sit at the bottom of the trunk

Brian

Frogg Toggs and we're happy with them,,, no get wet no more,,,also have the rain boots that go half way up the calf,, also keeps things dry. Jacket has a roll up hoddie that goes under the helmet to keep the back dry,,,,, yep they works good.

I wear wetskins from Costco, they fit well and are heavy enuff not to flap around. You can also get them in an insulated and non insulated versions....about 70 bux CDN if I remember right for the non insulated. They dont fold up real small, but I saved the plastic bag that they were bought in and leave it kinda like a shirt you buy in the store, square and flat so it can sit at the bottom of the trunk

Brian

Yup, been wearing them for years. They have always kept me dry in the very heavy downpours (cloudbursts) & thunderstorms, that I have ridden through. Muffinman has stayed dry in a set, that I sent him. Mini Muffin & Stud Muffin hasn't had a chance to test theirs yet........

:2cents::canada:

I checked Costco's web site for wetskins and couldn't find them. Are these seasonal items? Do the wetskins have zippers at the ankles to help with slipping over boots?

Dennis

I get the winter stock ones, with the zip out fleece liner.

As for the rain pants, there is a zipper, but are too tight to put on with the boots still on. In other words, sit down, remove boot, insert leg, put boot back on (I do it with normal pant leg inside top of engineer type boot) & zip up cuff on outside of boot.

:canada:

Wife and I have used Sterns nylon suits from Wally World for the past 8-9 years with excelent results. The keep you dry, fold up nicely, and are nicely priced compared to others. I think they currently run about $35. The only places I've ever gotten wet is around the cuffs and neck when I didn't put on the hood under my helmet.

We've been caught in some pretty serious downpours over the years.

Larry

WE use a Gortex set from LL beam. They are made for extreme weather and made to pack. Pants and jacket rolls up into a 4" by 8" roll. They have zippers and velcro closures on the legs and sleeves. Garanteed to keep you dry in a storm. We have used them a few times...they work. Only thing that gets wet is your face.

They are expensive...but I did not want to get soaked on a trip.

I've bought two sets of Frogg Toggs. First one, pants tore and burned on first day.

But the silver matches duct tape well. Second set looks okay but the crotch seam leaked in it's second season. I think someone got a "Wal-mart people pic" of me in the Depends section! Hey, but the jackets are okay and comfortable.

(I now keep the FT's for spares for my "friends".)

Some friends of mine are headed from SC to CA right now and hit that bad weather in Alabama and Mississippi yesterday. All three said their their Frogg Toggs did not keep them dry in that mess (dodging tornados), even wearing the hoods in full helmet.

I bought a set of First Gear Rainman from Cycle Gear (had to order as they don't stock them). I think with a coupon was a bit over $100. (I like the bright yellow jacket)

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=TUC_50-5867_G

They got a light test in 50 miles of light rain yesterday. Along with Harley gators (worth the money), did just fine.

SO, an option would be to buy the Frogg Togg, and replace the pants with another brand when they give out.

I checked Costco's web site for wetskins and couldn't find them. Are these seasonal items? Do the wetskins have zippers at the ankles to help with slipping over boots?

Dennis

This rain gear has large 20" zipper gussets with stirrups for easy boot entry with adjustable cuffs and waist.

2 year "No Hassle" warranty...:confused24:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/41/21302/ITEM/Nelson-Rigg-Arctic-One-Piece-Insulated-Suit.aspx

Edited by Eck

We have the previously mentioned Stearns suits from Walmart. They are sufficient, and not very expensive.

This is the same thing I have. Sue has the pants and a rain jacket from JC Whitney we bought her on our first trip to Starved Rock State Park.

We've been through some heavy rain and did not get wet.

I wear Red Wing harness style boots, I got them in 05, they have never leaked yet. Ready for a new pair as I scuffed these pretty bad in TN last year.

Nelson-Rigg Volante, well worth the money and you will stay dry. Frogg toggs $uck big time. Had a set and the zipper didn't last a full day.

Does the Nelson-Rigg Volante suit pack into a small pouch? Is it a light weight suit?

Dennis

This rain gear has large 20" zipper gussets with stirrups for easy boot entry with adjustable cuffs and waist.[/b]

2 year "No Hassle" warranty...:confused24:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/41/21302/ITEM/Nelson-Rigg-Arctic-One-Piece-Insulated-Suit.aspx

Thanks Eck, I typically like Nelson Rigg gear. I think I would kill myself on the side of road trying to get into a 1 piece suit. I have enough trouble getting into a 2 piece suit. I went out yesterday looking at different suits, Columbia, BMW, Harley, Tourmaster, etc. So far I am leaning toward a Harley suit or maybe the Nelson Rigg Volante. I just wish Harley made one without that big logo across the back.

Dennis

I have Nelson-Rigg suites, The preformance is GREAT even in all day rain. They are not light weight and two suites will take up the majority of space in one side bag and if the sun comes out after the rain you will definately remove the suite. However they do what they are designed for and were rated the best for the money in a motorcycle mag a couple of years back AX-1 model I beleive.

Doreen and I use a two piece set made by Tingley (sp?). They do not fold down as well as some of the others, but easy to get into and we stay totally dry. The bottoms are bib overall type and the tops have a hood that fits under the helmets. Purchased at Campbell Supply. We were carrying them in this side bags, but will be keeping them in a bag on the runk rack this year. That is, if my shoulder injury heals enough to ride this year.

Midrsv

I use the Harley suit like the one from St Paul Harley that is where I got mine.

They had the 5X in stock( and yes runs larger then listed) a few other brand claim this size but came up way short.

I am very happy with it other them it saying Harley. I stay comply dry and have put about 500 miles on it and still looks new. It has extra material where need to protect the suit from the Eng. like I said very happy.

:250:

Got one from cycle gear for mom don't know the brand but you buy the pants and jacket separate those pants run small she wound up with 2x in paints and large in jacket .not near the quality of the Harley suit

• 2 months later...