IGNORED

Let's talk about rain suits!

Midrsv

myself and the wife have nelson riggs velonte and we love them I think we paid $75 I also looked at the harley suites and they looked to be the same as the nelson riggs. wonder if their made by nelson rigg for harley

Edited by j_berg

I've had a Sterns suit 2005 with no problems. They've kept both me & the wife dry in some really heavy downpours.

It's too bad that the new ones may or are having quality problems as they are light weight, fold up into a small package, and were priced right.

Larry

I have a 2002 Bonneville America as well as my 2006 RSV....I bought a Triumph 2 piece suite when I got the Bonny....Found an article later that had the suit listed as the reviewers #2 choice....along with their 1 piece Chevron suite...

I have been caught in multiple downpours and have NEVER gotten wet when I have the jacket and pants buttoned up right....Pants have a mid thigh zipper on the outside for easy on/off with a size 12 riding boot....

Rain suite comparison link here: FYI

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/accessoriesandgear/rainsuit_comparison/index.html

Pictures of both the two piece and one piece suite here: FYI

http://www.motorcyclestore.us/triumph/clothing/outerwear/paddock/

SIDE NOTE: I wear Choko Rain Boots....They cover entire boot and go up to mid calf....zipper/velcro on/off...Again...nothing gets wet....Priced right also...Example...1 1/2 hour down pour riding to bike week in Myrtle a few years ago....Solid downpour....All clothing stayed dry...

Boots here:

http://www.goldwingcountry.com/detail.cfm?Category_ID=129&manufacturer_ID=437&product_ID=20116&model_ID=0&sblid_name=Wing_Gear_Rain_Booties&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=na&utm_campaign=froogle&utm_content=20116

That's my two cents worth...

Long Tall

Lynchburg, VA

Edited by Long Tall

I got a set of Bull Froggs, they are alot thicker and come in different colors. I got solid yellow. Had them three years and still do not leak, we average 60 in of raid a year. Go to Frog Toggs web site to get them. Made in USA, Alabama.

tew47

I have a set of River Roads that I have used for two years now with no problems. The pants do have suspenders but I just throw on the jacket first and then slip the pants on and then do one arm at a time with the suspenders. Done a few quick suit-ups on the side of the road and it works out ok.

The pants have the full ankle to calf zipper for over the boot slip on and stirrups to hold them in place. The crotch has never leaked at all. The jacket is fine except for one issue. The cuffs only have an elastic band in them which is a little loose on my wrist allowing air up the sleeve. I made a pair of cinch straps out of elastic cord with a wooded bead and they work great. No more puffy sleeve.

The gear is thin and packs down in a small water proof compresssion bag to about the same size as the half cover I carry. Takes up very little room in the saddlebag.

I have a 2 piece set of Nelson-Rigg AX-1, I think , that I had for 3 years now and between the 2 bikes I've put 54,000 miles on with no problems. They keep you dry and the coat doubles as a wind breaker when the weather turns cool. If they were to get damaged today I'd buy another set or something very similar, but I would definitely look at Nelson-Rigg first!!

Over the years I've probably had 5-6 different rainsuits complete with rainboots. It seems like the suits that kept me the dryest always made me dripping wet with sweat as soon as the rain had stopped. And then there was the issue of fighting the rainboots on & off, and this was usually done on the side of a busy highway. If you're just riding home from somewhere, getting wet can usually be corrected as soon as you get home so there's no real harm done. But if you're traveling on the road and you or your boots get wet, you may end up riding in wet gear (especially the boots) for the next day or so. Not much fun.

The best rainsuit that I've used is anything that is completely nylon inside and out. I emphasize "completely nylon" no PVC or plastic anywhere. Stearns is one of the more common manufacturers but there must be others. The key here is nylon inside and out. It is very waterproof. Very lightweight so it folds up very compactly. And best of all, it breathes. You can wear it between the downpours without taking an inside the rainsuit sweat bath.

Also, I got tired of fighting with the rainboots on the side of the road, so I bought a pair of Cruiserworks leather completely waterproof riding boots. They're a little pricey but they work as advertised. I've worn them for several years in some real frog chokers and my feet have always stayed dry. And because they're leather, not vinyl or PVC, they breathe, no sweaty feet.

Unless you're planning to pull over every time you see rain on the horizon, or unless you don't mind riding wet, you should bite the bullet. Spend the money and get something that works. Every time you're riding in the rain and you're still dry, you'll be so glad that you spent the extra dollars. Gerry

At the Kootaney's meet, it was semi rain then Rain. Rocket suggested Wet Skins. So off I went to the local Wally mart. Found them, But not the ones I noted, as he had the Cosco Wet Skins. Well I needed them the only thing was I looked like a big yellow Banana!!.

But they worked along with the farmer sh*t kicker rubber boots I purchased as well. Total cost was 125.00 approx.. Must have been that evil TT:confused: guidance.lol (inside joke)..:mugshot:

• 3 weeks later...

I have used a set of regular Frogg Toggs for years, they would let rain in around the cuffs. I found a set called "Hog Toggs" by frogg togg, great raid suit... added reflective piping and velcro fasterners around the cuffs to seal out the rain. Love them.

• 1 month later...

Here's what I wear: http://tinyurl.com/yellow-rainsuit

It's the bright yellow one-piece coverall made out of DuPont Tyvek. The hooded version costs between $10 -$13, depending on the size you need (I suggest one to two sizes larger than what you normally wear). This has been a great find! It has elastic in the wrists and ankles and it rolls up very small!

By the way, the less-expensive white coverall (or a second yellow one) makes a great wrenching outfit and is good to carry in the car or on the bike to keep your clothes from getting greasy if you need to pull out the tool-kit.

Terry