IGNORED

PayPal made me happy today.

Snaggletooth

Well I guess there is nothing like a mild threat to get things rolling and PayPal helped get things taken care of. I've used PayPal for a long time and never had a problem with a supplier or eBay seller and had to file a dispute.

I placed an order for $147.18 with a company back on 3/17/10 for parts on a bike project. When I checked out I saw they had PayPal so I used that option.

Over the last four weeks there have been 4 voice mails left on their system with no reply, 4 e-mails sent with no response, and only two occasions were I was able to actually speak with a human only to be told they had problems with their supplier, yada yada, and the next time on 4/7 that they still did not have the parts for shipping and MAYBE sometime later in the month.......maybe.

Weird.....before I placed the order they comfirmed that they had EVERYTHING in stock for immediate shipping.

So during that phone call on the 7th I canceled my order. The owner stated that he was canceling the PayPal payment and would refund the amount to my PP account within 24 hours.

Let see......from 4/7 to 4/15 ......is more than 24 hours right? Another phone call that went to voice mail with no reply, another e-mail requesting the status of the refund......no reply again.

So late last night I opened a dispute file on PayPal. Wrote a nice note to the company stating my position and requesting that it be dealt with to avoid a claim. figured it was worth a shot. Not making any progress with these folks on my own.

Stopped by the house before noon today and checked my e-mails. Got one from PP stating my dispute had been canceled. What the hey? Just opened that sucker last night. Checked my PP account and what did I find? $147.18 refund. In less than 14 hours at that!

I guess the idea of a PP claim against them wasn't something they wanted. Lil do they know that would have been better than me stopping by with my hickory stick. Was getting to that point.

So score one for the good guys.

Ok.....vented.....:)

Mike

Edited by Snaggletooth

I only buy from Sellers that use PayPal. I too had a problem with a tire purchase. The tire never showed up . So I Did a claim with PayPal and within 8hrs I had my money back!! Very Pleased with PayPal service!!!!!:happy34:

Last year I'd been seeing info about PayPal user accounts being hacked and playing havoc with the accounts. I saw that they offered a security key that works like the security in a garage door opener.........rolling numbers everytime you press the button. You just log in as always and then it prompts you for the six digit number off the key. Press the button and enter the number and it is only good for 30 seconds and then the number changes.

For $5.00.......cheap insurance...... It's better than nothing I guess. I've always been leary of problems using PP but with their security device and the support of the resolution center that I got today.........I'm feeling better about it.

Mike

I use that security key also. It's a pain sometimes but sure helps to better secure your account.

PayPal also helped me once. I have purchased a whole house generator for $2400.00 or so. Turns out that the seller didn't have one. He claimed they were on back order even though the auction said "in stock". Long story short, it was going to be at least 2 months before he could ship. I canceled and requested a refund. He wanted to charge me a very high "re-stocking fee". hmmmm....for a product he didn't HAVE?

Anyway, I got PayPal involved and within 24 hours I had a full refund. I would much rather deal with buyers who accept PayPal and I would rather they pay with PayPal when I am selling.

PayPal is not always a good thing.

I made a purchase on eBay, paid with PP, 3 weeks later I contacted the seller and was told that the tracking showed the package as delivered. I later found out that they shipped to the wrong address. PP refused my claim because the tracking number showed that the package was delivered in the same city that I live in. I was out all of the money and no product. Fortunately it was only ~$30.

Just an FYI...PayPal and eBay BOTH side with the BUYER about 98% of the time. The buyer has little or no recourse and because of this practice, I will NEVER sell on eBay again.

I am in the middle of a CLAIM from a fellow in Hong Kong over a $1000 camera I sold this guy. Basically the facts are that I sold the camera on eBay and requested U.S. Shipping ONLY, and NO RETURNS. The guy from Hong Kong bought and requested the camera be sent USPS priority mail. I had allowed $20 for shipping. I decided to go ahead and sell to this buyer because he did pay with PayPal and thought I would absorb the additional cost to Hong Kong. I was expecting it to cost maybe $35 or so. It cost me $82.00, BUT, I sent it anyway.

I sent 6 emails to this guy with NO RESPONSE about possibly splitting some of the shipping cost. He never responded.

The camera arrived and then after about 3 days...he responds to me telling me that maybe we could discuss the shipping, but the camera was not as described and he wanted to ship it back and wanted his money back.

I sent him an email back stating the camera was in PERFECT OPERATIONAL condition and that $1000 for this camera (originally was $5000) was an excellent deal. Besides, it cost me extra in shipping and I plainly stated on the ad that I would NOT accept returns.

He filed a claim and although they have not ruled yet (should be any day now)...I am prepared to return his money...NOW here is the problem. Once he starts the process of returning the camera, PayPal and eBay are NO LONGER involved in the process or dispute. In fact, on the PayPal forums there are MANY claims of getting items back in PARTS, different serial numbers and in some cases...empty boxes...as long as the box is sent certified...that is all that is required.

So I will probably be out $1000 and have learned a valuable lesson. But worse than that...I had an eBay rating of 220 points with 100% POSITIVE FEEDBACK. His ONE negative comment dropped my score to 83.6%. And to top it all off....SELLERS can no longer leave NEGATIVE feedback on buyers...you can only leave POSITIVE feedback. THAT SUCKS.

Now I know there are lots of BUYERS that get ripped off, and Snaggletooth you sound like that was about to happen to you...I am glad you were able to work your issue out...it seemed like a DELIBERATE ploy on the buyers part to get your money and not send you an item...I glad you called him out and got your money back.

Just remember...PayPal and eBay are almost ALWAYS on the side of the BUYER though...if you sell something...be prepared to always return the money and accept the possibility that you might not get the item back in the same shape as you shipped it to the buyer.

I am glad you got your money back for those lights you were trying to track down. Now you can track down the other ones. I gotta track some lights down so I can get started swapping out the light on mine too, I was out on a ride tonight and i just didnt have enuff light. I was riding beside a new Strat and when side by side I couldnt see my lights on the road as theirs lit everything so much more than mine.

Brian

So I will probably be out $1000 and have learned a valuable lesson. But worse than that...I had an eBay rating of 220 points with 100% POSITIVE FEEDBACK. His ONE negative comment dropped my score to 83.6%. And to top it all off....SELLERS can no longer leave NEGATIVE feedback on buyers...you can only leave POSITIVE feedback. THAT SUCKS.

I wouldn't send a damn thing until you have the camera back in your hands. And then refund less shipping. Otherwise you're going to be out the camera and the $refund. That's why when selling, you ship to the US only...maybe Canada if asked..

+1 on Paypal. I've never had any problems with Paypal. It sure it is the easy and secure way to pay for online orders and receive money even though you have to pay a small fee for the service. I really think it is still worth it.

I've got 600 + sales/buys on ebay with a perfect rating. I have individual sales up to $10,000.00 and individual purchases just over $19,000.00 - never had a problem with one exception and that was over a $12.00 used phone. The buyer had to wait for almost a month for her disability check. Of course that never went anywhere. It ended up costing me a relisting fee and the image of someone spending money they don't have. Had there been some rhetoric prior to the bidding I could have arranged for shipping/listing fees only as payment.