IGNORED

where to buy replacement mercury?

Razorback

HAZMAT??? Any Kids, Water Supply or Pets around??? Call a POISON Help Line found in your phone book to get professional advice if this is a Mercury Spill.

I HOPE I'm 100% wrong here.... but in 1990 I dropped and broke a Lab Thermometer in a University Lab and that was a MAJOR Deal... they brought in Pros to clean it up.

Like I said I HOPE I'm 100% Wrong but let a PRO tell you best way to handle this.

Good Luck

:confused07:

I think that way to big a deal is made out of it. Heck, when we were kids we played with that stuff all the time. Later in life, I worked for Diamond Shamrock Chemical Company in Muscle Shoals, AL. It was a chlorine plant and at that time, the chlorine was made in mercury cells. We had mercury spills all the time and were always scooping it up.

The main danger is when it gets HOT. It will vaporize and then you can inhale it. Even that isn't a huge deal unless you do it on a continued basis.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't be careful with it and it is certainly not great for the environment but small quantities are certainly not going to kill you.

"MAD AS A HATTER"

Meaning

Completely mad. This is now commonly understood to mean crazy, although the original meaning is unclear and may have meant annoyed.

Origin

Mercury used to be used in the making of hats. This was known to have affected the nervous systems of hatters, causing them to tremble and appear insane. A neurotoxicologist correspondent informs me that "Mercury exposure can cause aggressiveness, mood swings, and anti-social behaviour.", so that derivation is certainly plausible - although there's only that circumstantial evidence to support it.

The use of mercury compounds in 19th century hat making and the resulting effects are well-established - mercury poisoning is still known today as 'Mad Hatter's disease'. That could be enough to convince us that this is the source of the phrase. The circumstantial evidence is rather against the millinery origin though and, beyond the fact that hatters often suffered trembling fits, there's little to link hat making to the coining of 'as mad as a hatter'.

Might explain a lot of behavior around here. :dancefool:

HAZMAT??? Any Kids, Water Supply or Pets around??? Call a POISON Help Line found in your phone book to get professional advice if this is a Mercury Spill.

I HOPE I'm 100% wrong here.... but in 1990 I dropped and broke a Lab Thermometer in a University Lab and that was a MAJOR Deal... they brought in Pros to clean it up.

Like I said I HOPE I'm 100% Wrong but let a PRO tell you best way to handle this.

Good Luck

:confused07:

If you dumped it in a physical spot, just pick it up. It takes quite awhile till mercury poison sets it, i've played with it before and vouche it doesn't do anything right away. :lightbulb:

The worst thing about Mercury is that it "Bio accumulates" in other words, it stays in the body and will build up to toxic levels over time. Let's say you spilt the mercury near a vegetable garden, the veggies absorb it and you slowly eat it, microgram by microgram, eventually it builds up to milligrams and that my man is not good. If it was on soil, I would dig it all up and triple bag it and take it to a toxic waste facility...

Because of some of those overboard laws, we can't even have any mercury in any of the labs at any of the colleges around here. Trust me, there are a lot more dangerous things in our labs than mercury. It doesn't make much since. It just goes to show you how well our system works when uneducated people get to make laws.

Yes, it's gotten pretty stupid some of the things they do.

Someone spilled 2 ozs of mercury on the campus of the University of Southern Mississippi a few months ago. The first reports made it sound like someone emptied a tanker truck of the stuff! They shut down part of the campus and called emergency management in to "assess the spill". Huge news in the local paper and TV for a day or two. :confused24:

Years ago I read a National Geographic story on mercury production in Africa. Many of the guys that worked in the mines would absorb so much of it that they would send them to special 'hot rooms' and they would sweat it out of their bodies.

Do you have a precious metal dealer in your area? They usually have mercury in stock.

Or if you have access to an auto wrecking yard, you could see if they have any merc switchs floating around. The underhood and deck lid lamps on the older vehicles were merc switchs.

If all else fails, I can check with a local supplier here to see if they have any and how much.

:mytruck:

What I'd do to replace lost mercury is contact Motion-Pro and have them send you the replacement fluid,whatever it is, if you've lost too much of the mercury. May have to dispose of all you have left if it's not compatable with the stuff Motion-Pro now uses in their gauges.

Larry

What I'd do to replace lost mercury is contact Motion-Pro and have them send you the replacement fluid,whatever it is, if you've lost too much of the mercury. May have to dispose of all you have left if it's not compatable with the stuff Motion-Pro now uses in their gauges.

Larry

Unfortunately they are not interchangeable. The new manometer fluid won't work in the older motion pro that uses mercury. I was thinking the same thing.. just change to the new stuff...

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0415

I believe you can buy mercury here:

Goodfellow Corporation

PA 15071-3911

305 High Tech Drive

Oakdale.

USA

Tel: 1-800-821-2870 (USA and Canada)

or +1 724 695 7060

Fax: 1-800-283-2020 (USA and Canada)

or +1 724 695 7063