IGNORED

Be Careful Showing Off

oldandcrotchety

Sometimes acting like a juvenile can get you in trouble. The other day I was riding down the highway at about 60mph when up ahead I saw a motorcycle that I was slowly gaining on. I was probably going abut 5mph faster than him, so I wasn't gaining that fast. I decided that when I got up fairly close behind him, I would just fall in line and follow to the next town. When I got close enough I could see it was a Harley and it was pretty new. So just as I got to the right spot and slowed down a little to keep pace behind him he saw me and after saying something to the girl on back (probably: "watch this") he twisted the throttle and took off. At first I thought "oh well, so what". Then a little voice (no doubt the devil) said "You know what?...You don't really want to play this game with me". So, being that it was a long straight stretch and no traffic, I dropped it down a gear and let loose. I was doing 95 as I blew past him and heard him drop a gear as I went past and throw the coals to it, but to no avail. There was zero chance he would be able to catch up, much less pass me. I was feeling pretty pleased with myself as I started back into the right hand lane, but right then, the bike started wobbling. The back wheel was kind of fishtailing back and forth and the handlebars was shaking. Scared the you-know-what out of me. Was picturing a hundred yard long red smear on the pavement. However, I ever so slowly eased off the throttle and by the time I was back down to about 85mph, it was riding normally. Good thing the air was warm and dry enough to evaporate all the sweat that was pouring off of me, otherwise, the folks behind me would have thought they had hit a sudden rain shower. Anyway, it was a stupid kid type thing to be doing and almost bit me in the butt. Feller my age should not do adolescent, immature stunts like that and you can bet I will think twice before doing it again. (OK, I've thought twice. I'm over it. Time to do it again the next time someone on a Harley tries that with me.) P.S. I used to own a Harley, and I know what they will and won't do. They are not the fastest thing on the blacktop.

i have zipped up to 11o easily several times with no problems. check your bike for what other members are sayin to check. you may have had a lucky encounter that spoke volumes of maintenance words.

it will save you on your next ride. problems with my shifter taught me that.

I am glad you did not go down.

Adjust steering head as RR said and check tires for strange places on it. Talk to Jack about a Super Brace. Check rear swing arm.

Check air pressure in tires!!

Cause you know it is going to happen again!! :confused24:Don't you just love it??:snow2:

Sometimes acting like a juvenile can get you in trouble. The other day I was riding down the highway at about 60mph when up ahead I saw a motorcycle that I was slowly gaining on. I was probably going abut 5mph faster than him, so I wasn't gaining that fast. I decided that when I got up fairly close behind him, I would just fall in line and follow to the next town. When I got close enough I could see it was a Harley and it was pretty new. So just as I got to the right spot and slowed down a little to keep pace behind him he saw me and after saying something to the girl on back (probably: "watch this") he twisted the throttle and took off. At first I thought "oh well, so what". Then a little voice (no doubt the devil) said "You know what?...You don't really want to play this game with me". So, being that it was a long straight stretch and no traffic, I dropped it down a gear and let loose. I was doing 95 as I blew past him and heard him drop a gear as I went past and throw the coals to it, but to no avail. There was zero chance he would be able to catch up, much less pass me. I was feeling pretty pleased with myself as I started back into the right hand lane, but right then, the bike started wobbling. The back wheel was kind of fishtailing back and forth and the handlebars was shaking. Scared the you-know-what out of me. Was picturing a hundred yard long red smear on the pavement. However, I ever so slowly eased off the throttle and by the time I was back down to about 85mph, it was riding normally. Good thing the air was warm and dry enough to evaporate all the sweat that was pouring off of me, otherwise, the folks behind me would have thought they had hit a sudden rain shower. Anyway, it was a stupid kid type thing to be doing and almost bit me in the butt. Feller my age should not do adolescent, immature stunts like that and you can bet I will think twice before doing it again. (OK, I've thought twice. I'm over it. Time to do it again the next time someone on a Harley tries that with me.) P.S. I used to own a Harley, and I know what they will and won't do. They are not the fastest thing on the blacktop.

Let off the gas a little,,, :stickpoke: even at that speed these Ventures can smoke-um!! :witch_brew:

Bryan

Check your tire air pressure. In most cases that is what makes the wobbble. Actually that is something one should do every time before taking a ride.

Well, I know what you mean, it felt just a whole lot like a back tire with very low pressure, and that was the first thing that I checked when I got into town. It showed 38 pounds in front and 41 in rear. Also, it hasn't been too long since I serviced the steering head bearings and they are fine. Might be an issue with wheel bearings or rear shock. I'll check them later.

Well, I know what you mean, it felt just a whole lot like a back tire with very low pressure, and that was the first thing that I checked when I got into town. It showed 38 pounds in front and 41 in rear. Also, it hasn't been too long since I serviced the steering head bearings and they are fine. Might be an issue with wheel bearings or rear shock. I'll check them later.

In my opinion, and only mine, I would shug those sterring head bearings a bit more,,, doesn't take much, just a few degrees, but may make a world of difference. After all, there will be a next time or even if there isn't there may be some other, GOOD, reason to let loose, and if she will do it, then you may well take her there, and you want to be as safe as possible.