IGNORED

Thing that you do after winter storage.

Red Rider

What are some of the things that you do after the winter storage before you take the bike out the frist time.

I usually put it all back together...:D

Then I clean and polish it.

Then I go for a ride and get it all dirty.

Seriously tho, I don't "winter store" the bike. It sits in my garage and I do various maintenance tasks, add more safety chrome, drool over it, sit on it and imagine I'm on a ride... by the time the weather is permitting enuf for a ride, everything is done and it's ready to roll.

Guest human4m

Normally there's a lot of spring cleaning to do... Dusting, vacuuming, cleaning out closets, cleaning air ducts, behind the appliances, window sills, ceiling fans, shampooing the rugs, pressue washing the porch, mowing the grass, weedeating, cleaning out the pantry, and the list goes ON and ON!!!

It ends up I end up having to push the bike out of the garage, and most of the way down the driveway, so when I start the bike it doesn't interfere with her doing all that stuff. :sign yeah that: :duck:

Edited by human4m

Guest scarylarry

I can't find it now, I did print it off though...I'll search when I get home it is called T Click or T Check..

List of things to check and do before the season gets in takes about 4 hrs to do including the oil change and popping tops...

Oil change and filter change, air pressure, all lights, side bag bolts..

I never use fuel stab. since I start mine once a week even if I can't ride it and let run till the fan kicks in, if I need and I do take the lawn mower can and use it..

I'll try to post the link tonight if I can find it

I can't find it now, I did print it off though...I'll search when I get home it is called T Click or T Check..

List of things to check and do before the season gets in takes about 4 hrs to do including the oil change and popping tops...

Oil change and filter change, air pressure, all lights, side bag bolts..

I never use fuel stab. since I start mine once a week even if I can't ride it and let run till the fan kicks in, if I need and I do take the lawn mower can and use it..

I'll try to post the link tonight if I can find it

I suspect you are referring to TCLOCK. Tires, Controls, Lights, Oil, Chassis, Kickstand.

http://www.wood.army.mil/safety/Motor%20Vehicle%20Accident%20Prevention/T-CLOCK.doc

RR

I was going to respond with something smartassed, but it seems several beat me to the punch.

My thoughts on bringing a bike out winter hibernation concern how it was prepped for the winter.

Did you change the oil before it was put to bed? If not, then change it.

Did you put some stabilizer in the gas? if not, then drain and refill the tank.

Was the battery pulled and put on a trickle charger? If not, have it tested/replaced (it will probably be bad)

Did you lube all of the cables? I guess you can see where I am going with this.

My point is, if you do all of the service items in the fall/winter, all you will realy need to do is drop a battery in it, check the air pressures,check the lights and ride.

Hope this helps.

Dave

I was going to respond with something smartassed, but it seems several beat me to the punch.

My thoughts on bringing a bike out winter hibernation concern how it was prepped for the winter.

Did you change the oil before it was put to bed? If not, then change it.

Did you put some stabilizer in the gas? if not, then drain and refill the tank.

Was the battery pulled and put on a trickle charger? If not, have it tested/replaced (it will probably be bad)

Did you lube all of the cables? I guess you can see where I am going with this.

My point is, if you do all of the service items in the fall/winter, all you will realy need to do is drop a battery in it, check the air pressures,check the lights and ride.

Hope this helps.

Dave

I too will refrain from providing a smartass remark here. Dave has summed things up quite well. All I would add would be:

1) Take a REALLY CAREFUL look all the way around your tires. That means look at the sidewalls and the tread, all the way around. If you have a jack & lift adapter (or center stand) the easiest thing to do is get the wheels off the ground, lay down and spin them slowly to inspect all the way around.

2) If you did all of those things before you put it away, a double check to make sure you have correct/appropriate operation of the key components (brakes, brake levers, and smooth operation of the throttle - both opening and closing).

3) check over the lights to make sure everything comes on like it is supposed to.

4) Make sure you've got your CURRENT insurance card in there too :happy34:

This is not smartass it's just the facts, just the facts.

Last time I ride in the fall I put the bike on the center stand in another garage. Usually sits there from sometime the first of November till the first of April. Battery will dead so I will need to charge that up and hopefully it will start. Good to go for the summer. Oh yeah I do change the engine oil, rear end oil and spark plugs sometime after the first ride.

If I leave the bugs on it over the winter they freeze dry and fall off so I don't need to clean it.

BOO

I normally do a complete walk around....check fluid levels, air pressure, cable function, electrics, suspension & suspension settings....THEN.....I take her to the nearest clear (no snow, ice or debris) and practice my slow riding (clutch control, get a feel for her again and for riding again)...then it's off to the open road exercising a very cautious and concientous outlook on my riding skills and the observation skills of cages.

If sitting, and not run all winter, I would ---

Drain, gas tank, ( Put old gas in the pick up truck ) Also, drain all 4 carb bowls !!!

Refill, and add, Sea Foam. ( run 2 tanks with sea foam added )

Check tires, pressure, and inspect for damage, and Hidden Nails !! ( you never know what you might find stuck in the tire treads )

Check Battery Fluid Level, and Charge Battery with a BATTERY CHARGER, NOT, a Trickle charger,

Change the Oil, and Filter.

Tire Pressure, check

Check brake pads for wear, Good time to replace if needed.

One thing not mentioned so far but for me is important and that is the first ride after winter storage implies that the roads have usually not recovered from winter yet. Around here that means a lot more loose gravel and sand will still be on the roads especially at the intersections. So along with everything previously mentioned the first ride should be mostly about getting reacqainted with riding again. Your riding skills need to be redeveloped and sharpened again after the long winters nap. Sharpen up your cornering skills etc. first before you start riding like you did when you put your bike into storage. I find that after a few miles I rebond and become one with my bike. I would hate to start the new season with a wreck on openning day. :080402gudl_prv:

Air up the tires, I do this a day before I want to ride. if your tire will crack it wont show up for about 24 hours. Then I inspect the tires for cracking and holding air.

I then check lights, and other basic safety items. I then dont choke it and run the starter for about 4 revolutions without it even trying to start. I want some oil in the moving parts before it actually fires and stresses the internals. I then warm it up a bit and slowly drive to the gas station with a bottle of seafoam. I store the bike nearly empty with a 1/2 a bottle of seafoam in the gas and run it until I know it's in the carbs. I then go fill it with fresh gas and the other 1/2 bottle of seafoam and go for a ride running higher RPM's than normal. I want to get as much fresh gas+seafoam through the carbs as possible then go back home.

Oil change after that along with a carb sync and fluids check. check brake fluids, etc.. If it's been 4-5 years then I flush the brake and clutch fluid and replace with new. Check brake pads, if they look like they will need replacing in 500 miles then I just replace them. check the rotors for abnormal wear.

I also check over my helmets and gear at his time. look for any problems, if I find anything wrong then the helmet or gear is thrown away and replaced.

This year was not so bad, the bike has been undergoing upgrades so I have been face to face with nearly every part for months now.

Edited by timgray

Normally there's a lot of spring cleaning to do... Dusting, vacuuming, cleaning out closets, cleaning air ducts, behind the appliances, window sills, ceiling fans, shampooing the rugs, pressue washing the porch, mowing the grass, weedeating, cleaning out the pantry, and the list goes ON and ON!!!

It ends up I end up having to push the bike out of the garage, and most of the way down the driveway, so when I start the bike it doesnit interfere with her doing all that stuff. :sign yeah that: :duck:

LMAO; really that brought a tear to my eye, Ilove it.

Guest human4m
LMAO; really that brought a tear to my eye, Ilove it.

All the prepwork when we have a BBQ is just as bad. Just typing out the list of things that have to be done would make me tired... That's why I'm glad my portion usually involves making the patties, and starting the grill... Oh, wait... I almost forgot. I usually have to open my beer when it's brought to me. I won't lie, I'm a spoiled, spoiled man...

What winter storage? I unplug the Battery Tender and go ride like I did the week before.

Although this winter had less ride time than many before it.

:farmer:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i don't ride every week during winter, but the above is what i do. those of us being south enough, don't have the winterizing farther north members have to do.