IGNORED

Trailer Hitch/Flag pole

pick

I am looking to mount a flag pole on the back of my 01 RSV. Now, not wanting to re-invent the wheel, I quickly browsed the forum and saw a post from I think Goose, but his mounted to a trailer hitch that had a square reciever. I have a "Denray" trailer hitch, so its just a bracket that bolts over the axle and is bolted down at the muffler brackets. The ball simply bolts through a hole at the end. Has anyone made a pole with a hitch like this? Please keep in mind, I don't weld,(don't have the equipment). I would be flying a 3x5 flag and probably highway sppeds, 70 or so, possibly for about 40 miles?

Any ideas? :think:

If it ain't a really well made flag you won't have much left after 40 miles at 70mph.

To take some of the down pressure off my hitch I put 2 small i bolts in the rack that holds the tour pack on then a small piece of chain to connect it to the upright that holds the flag. good luck.

Here is what I did for mine. I ride with the PGR at times when I can. I went to Lowes and bought a curtain rod (wood) varnished it several times. I bought a 12 inch pipe 1 and a quarter inch in dia. Got a flange adapter. A U bolt. and two bolts. I went to Harbor Fraight and bought an adapter hitch 2" to 1 1/4 inch. ($14.95). When I was at Northern Tool I found a stop light to go into the 2" hitch. ($7.95). While I was at Lowes I bought a can of black paint because the pipe and flange were galvenize (sp). I had a bicycle intertube and I cut it to a little over 12 inches. This I put over the end of the flag pole to keep it from getting scratched up. My pole is about 1 1/8" in dia.

I had to cut a slot in the stop light plastic so it would slide by the bolts in the hitch. No problems with that, it works. I use 2 bungi cords that attach to the flag pole where the lower part of the flag attaches. Then I attach it to the trunk rack. Haven't had any problem traveling down the highway. I have a "sleeve" that I put over the flag so it doesn't get dirty while traveling to a mission. The "sleeve" has "firemans" tape sowed to it so it reflects lights from the rear. (Just another safety feature). Ref: the flag holding up at 70mph going down the hyway depends on how good of flag you get.

I've included pictures of my flag pole.

Ken

I would like to add that make sure the flag pole is metal and rugged and the flag is fastened securly. I broke a wooden pole that I thought would be plenty rugged enough. I now have ones made of conduit.

Goose wrote in his article that he reinforced the conduit with "U" channel for extra strength.

I have to tell you that no matter what type flagpole you put on your scoot there is NO Flag made that will hold up to highway speeds in excess of 50mph for a duration of 3o minutes or more. I have tried them all over the past 4 years with the Patriot Guard and they all blow out at the hems even after having additional stitching put on.

I never unfurl my Flags for any ride at highway speeds.....can't afford to replace them after every PGR Mission.

Also....If you lose a Flag at highway speeds (or any part of your Flagpole as well) you are liable if that Flag causes an accident of any sort!

There are specific guidlines of the Patriot Guard pertaining to flying of Flags at highway speeds....and don't be surprised if the Mission Ride Captain prohibits you from doing so at any given Mission. As a Ride Captain I always specify that to the Riders for any Mission that I am in charge of.

Boomer.....who's seen more than a few hairy moments on the slab thanks to Flags and poles coming off of scoots at highway speeds.

Mine was just a little 6 X 8 flag before my bike was triked and it was on a rod

that came off the antennas, and it never shredded, and I have been riding

with it for over 4 years now. I would just like to be able to somehow figure

out how to get it back on my bike again. I am thinking your talking about

the standard size flag is my guess. I could see were that would shred I bet.

Jeff

Thanks for all the info. Boomer, its for a Police Memorial, we fly the flags with the names of our fallen officers. I guess I really overestimated the interstate part of the ride, maybe only 10 miles, the rest are back roads at much slower speeds. I am worried about durability, as in past memorial rides, we have had accidents where poles broke/fell apart. Usually thay are installed the day of the ride and made to fit whatever bikes ar available, zip ties etc. This is the first year I want to fly our fallen officers flag, hence why I want the pole to be sturdy as I don't need it falling off in I-75!!!!!!!!!!!

Ponch, thanks for theofer, but I don't think I'd have time to ship it, have you make something and get it back intime before the ride. Maybe I'll lave it with ya if we do Wildhairs again this summer???? :happy-emoticon: Thanks for all the tips, I think I can find a bracket that will go through the hole in the hitch and then a reinforced pole as suggested by goose?????, with brackets attaching it to the helmet locks for stability?????????????

Pick,

I don't know what your hitch looks like. I've been running it through my mind. If you have a flat part on the end of hitch where the ball attaches to, can you bolt on a flat rectangle pice of metal (maybe a quarter inch thick) and then bolt on a flange to put the 12" pipe into like I did mine. Then you can do what I did from there on.

Just throwing something up in the air.

Ken