IGNORED

What keeps us riding?

E-Fishin-C

What keeps us riding even after a minor or major accident as we have seen on this site.

This year I have lost 3 very close friends and one is in coma.... all experience riders.

Is it in our blood or are we risk takers or we just like the Rush....

As for myself Im all those :depressed:

I try to reduce the risk as much as I can by being smart and careful. I refuse to let fear keep me from living life. You can "what if" yourself right into old age, never experiencing anything if your not careful. A good dose of denial and believing "it won't happen to me" doesn't hurt either.-Jack

Might as well ask "What keeps us breathing." Life is a risky business. If the nerve gas doesn't get you the nuclear fall out probably will. Then there is the traffic, smog, cholesterol, free radicals, terrorists, political dictators, water polution, peak oil, global warming, excessive water intake, heat stroke, hypo-thermia, hyper-thermia, hyper-tension, lack of vitamins, to many vitamins, guns, knives, large bricks thrown off of over passes, and of course the occasional cager that can't be bothered to look where they are going. We all gotta go some time. Might as well enjoy the ride until then.

Charlie that is a very good question. I know I am not really what I would call a risk taker in most situations. As far as accidents or sadly even deaths from motorcycle accidents, they always give me reason to think about the risk. But in the long run I love riding so much, I am willing to roll the dice and keep riding. I believe Ron is an excellent motorcyclist, but I know that does not always make a difference.

I am not willing to give it up until we are forced too.

We enjoy riding so much and we have that love of riding to share. We have met so many great people because of our love of riding, it would certainly be a life changing decision for us to give it up because of being afraid of the risk.

Peggy

I flew airplanes, drove fast boats, have ridden motorcycles most of my adult life...I am not a risk taker..I enjoy pushing to the edge, but not over..My goal is, when I finally reach the diaper and drool age, I don't ever want to feel sorry that I didn't do something because it was risky, I would have failed in life, if I worked hard to leave a good looking corpse. Life is there to be seized by the throat, shook hard, and only given up when your heart stops....my .02 cents

Growin up I played sports, worked on cars, and anything else I could find to get into (mostly ridin). About the age of 22 I messed up my right knee and can't run any more. Then I took up Golf ,but continued with the cars and ridin. About 5 years ago I started being visited by ARTHER and his bro ITUS. Both hands, feet,and the small of my back. Since then I can't do much with my hands that involve impacts. Ridin is the only thing I have left that I enjoy...and I'm not goinna give that up even though a very close friend was killed only about 3 months ago on his bike.

It's hardwired into some of us, we'll do it till the day we die. Some folks try it because it's envogue to do it and give it up soon after. For me it's all about the freedom of having nothing around me and slipping through life. I want to experience all that I can and the bike is freedom, plus it is an affordable way to see the world...which I love to do also :)

What keeps us riding even after a minor or major accident as we have seen on this site.

Not sure myself, but it felt great to be back on the scoot (even without any front fairing), after taking out a deer with it. Would have been back on it sooner, but needed the waterpump to thermostat coolant tube first.:2cents:

That is a good question Charlie. Since I totaled the bike a couple of weeks ago I have been questioned the decision to keep riding often. Since getting back into riding 3 years ago after a 15 years away from it I have been doing 18k to 20k miles a year. It's just something I don't think I could give up. My wife hasn't waivered and she is fully supportive of the decision to get back on. While I always considered myself a safe rider I am sure I'll take a second look now when I pull out, leave a bit more distance between me and traffic, maybe not ride quite so fast, etc. All things I should be doing anyway, the crash was just a wakeup call to be even more vigilant. As has been said, I want to enjoy life while I can and I can think of few things that give me more pleasure than riding.

DT

Guest Mackinawman

Four years ago last Sept. we were hit broadside by a lady pulling out of a gas station. My foot and ankle were between the lady's bumper and the side of the bike. I ended up with a crushed/broken ankle. My wife was on the back and while I was sashshaying trying to keep the bike up she came off and ended up sitting in the middle of the road with just a few small road rashes. The bike never went down. I was off work for a month.

After a few days passed I asked my wife if she wanted to give up riding and if she did we would sell the bike. There was no doubt in my mind that I wanted to keep riding. She said let's wait until spring and she would make a decision. Come spring and the first warm day we went for a little ride. When we got back I asked "Well, what do you think?" Her response was "We've Had to Much Fun to Give It Up - Let's keep riding.!

That was four years and 30,000 miles ago.

It is something we truly love and will do as long as possible.

I don't know why I ride either as many have said.

I wonder when I am baking on the bike in 100 deg heat why I'm not in a nice Air Conditioned Cage. Pretty Stupid.

I wonder when I am freezing on the bike in 30 deg cold why I'm not in a nice Heated Cage. Pretty Stupid.

I wonder when I am riding in the rain, wind, storms, and tornado's why I'm not in a nice dry Cage. Pretty Stupid.

I've been doing this for some 45 years. Pretty Stupid.

I don't have a thoughts of quitting anytime soon. Pretty Stupid.

Did I mention I like to ride?

Why would a person buy a bike for $15,000.00 with no doors, no top and no hear or A/C when you could buy a real decent car with all those things for the same price?

Jerry

Guest Ken8143

This year I have lost 3 very close friends and one is in coma.... all experience riders.

Is it in our blood or are we risk takers or we just like the Rush....

As for myself Im all those :depressed:

Deaperation and hopes for better days.

I Love riding the bikes period. I started out with a Yamaha 100 did all sort of things like jumping out of ditches and flying 35-40 feet high in the air and landings were always good but did many crashes down dirt roads and highways at full speed once hit a pot hole and went flying over the handle bars and slide down the road along side the bike was OK until I started riding the bike home the air started hitting the cuts now that hurt. Been in a few crashes and bang ups

I don't go crazy anymore on my bike I keep a safe distant plus I act like I'm invisible to other people I keep an eye out for everyone and anything around me am I scared NO I say my Prayers every time I mount the bike and don't worry about it no more its in the good Lords hands I go and have fun and be safe . When its your time to go its your time to go period no matter what your doing . From washing dishes - watching TV - sleeping or driving a car.

Some say that we joke to much even when we loose someone close to us . Do we miss them Yes very much am I going to let it get to me and make me stay in a shell or hide in a hole for the rest of my life NO . Sorry but I Love riding bikes and I will always Love riding bikes I love the wind - rain - sunshine most of all being with my family here!

Sorry I will shut up now.

buddy

I have raced cars and boats, ridden my bike at 150 mph. It is all a fantastic rush. I loved taking my sailboat out in a storm. Now I am older I have slowed down. I still love to be out on the water or on the road. There is a feeling of freedom.

What keeps me riding now? It's that itchy, twitchy, pent up feeling I get when I don't.