IGNORED

Deals Gap shut down

royalstarjac

March14, 2010: The rock slide on US 129 is located between the Dragon and Happy Valley Road/Foothills Parkway. Removal is scheduled to take several weeks. The road will likely be blocked completely at times, but for now there is one lane open with flaggers. There is no guarantee the one-lane will remain open and as of today we know of no way to check ahead. The only alternatives are the Cherohala Skyway which got more snow this morning and US 441 through the Great Smoky Mountains. Remember it’s a long way to backtrack if the road is completely closed.

View of TDOT webcam:

http://oxblue.com/pro/open/tdot/us64rockslide

Steve

It's all your fault. I was watching you as you yelled at me instead of keeping my eyes on the road. I'm glad I wasn't stopped in front of him and his dog.:doh:

Amen to that! ... This lady wasn't so lucky http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/735279 , she got hit from behind while on her bike just a couple days ago. They start early around here :headache: !!

Amen to that! ... This lady wasn't so lucky http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/735279 , she got hit from behind while on her bike just a couple days ago. They start early around here :headache: !!

Feel bad for the lady, read the clip and thought it was a little funny that she was out of work at the time because she is on disability. Now initial thoughts tend for me to think its a little funny that you can be on disability, and be riding a heavy motorcycle. I suppose you can. Just looks funny to me.

"Jackson was already out of work and on disability because of a back injury."

And they wonder why insurance premiums are so high already. Betcha if the insurance company or maybe even worker's comp gets ahold of this, they will sue for payments received if the lady is receiving disability benefits.

On disability means you ain't riding bikes. If you can ride a bike, you can work even in a limited capacity.

Deals Gap facebook page has a message from TDOT that states it will be open on the 20th of Mar. We will be checking it out on that day since it is in our back door and will post an update for all of you planning on heading that way...

Thanks! I appreciate it! I am supposed to be there on March 28th.

Ben

My wife and I were at Deals Gap yesterday. We rode in on 28 from the NC side. 129 is shut down at the TN state line. They stopped letting traffic through in TN due to a dangerous overhanging rock. They baricaded 129 at the TN line which is only about 1 mile north (west) of Deals Gap. The excuse given by TN is they are unable to provide emergency services to the TN section. Graham county NC offered to provide ambulance and fire service which would allow people to ride to the overlook and back but TN refused. They are saying the road may be shut down till summer.

That is the story from the girl at Deals Gap motorcycle resort anyway. There is the feeling there that TN is trying to put them out of business given the way TN law enforcement has been acting the last couple of years.

Actually, I've seen this kind of stuff alot when I used to work on an Ambulance.

The driver of the car just went around a corner, was distracted by the lights of the police cruiser and drove right into the rock pile. Just a moment of inattention can cause an accident.

Seems like all this technology (Cell phones, GPS, etc.) is making the problem much worse. :shock3:

Getting rear ended by a car at a stop is one of my biggest fears on the bike. I'm making a conscious effort to give myself room to escape, and keep an eye on my rear view mirrors.