IGNORED

What age????

Wolfie

At what age do ya let your kids out on a motorcycle??? And what do you inform them of? I don't want mine on any until they take a safety course. And then no CROTCH ROCKETS, this is what happened to a fellow student and band member of my youngest son.

http://www.kwes.com/global/story.asp?s=7186157

By all means, if ya want your kids to ride, teach them not to be foolish for one thing, this was all the riders fault, now the driver of the car has to live with his or her friend being killed buy them, even though it was not their fault. I don't think teens should ride unless they go through a course, get validated and be known to be safe, I really don't think they need to ride crotch rockets. All the time the rockets pull up next to me, take off before the light goes green doing a wheelies for several blocks.

Sorry, just another useless death..

I would say that it all depends on how mature the kid in question is.My daughter is 23 and I was surprised when she made the comment that she wants to ride.I imediatly started questioning myself on saying Cool.I know that I would be worried anytime she got on a bike.Although the first thing that I did tell her was register for the beginers safety course.There are to many imature people on bikes and it is a shame that there is. I agree with the state of North Carolinas 18 rule for a bike permit but would like to see it limit the type of bike a young rider can opperate.But that will never happen.

Make your decision and stand by it we will be here to help you get through the arguments with your kid.

And yes I know before anyone else posts it I am imature at times But I am only that way when it is only me on the scoot.

Jeff

My son was/is 18 and just starting to ride. He took the motorcycle safety course this summer and I got him an older Yama Virago to ride around on. He is very responsible and I am pretty comfortable with his decision to ride.

Reading stories like that kid on the crotch rocket keep me awake at night. I don't know if I could forgive myself for passing along a passion that ultimately took one of my kid's life. However, life is a risk and you can't keep them locked up safely forever. So, just try to make it as safe as you can and pray.

RR

My son will be getting his permit in a year,he has a bike and rides around the yard and seems to be able to handle the bike very well.I would like him to take a safety course.He has been riding with me since he was 4 or 5 and I think he has learned a lot about the road from observation but as a parent I think I feel my hair turning greyer.One good thing is he doesn't like crotch rockets,he likes the traditional look of a motorcycle.

Arthur

Interesting topinc - we don't have kids, but definitely maturity and safety courses would be the first thing I would mandate before even looking at bikes for my kids. And then the Virago / Shadow would be the first bike, not a rocket. I think Arthur might be lucky that his kid's don't like the rockets.

Just yesterday, I was listening to the news station, and the Director of the Calif. Highway Patrol was on talking about the increase in motorcycle accidents - for various reasons - more riders, not being seen, etc. One of his comments included himself - and that was the number of adults coming back to riding after many years off a motorcycle - and not being careful.

I believe that more public service announcements should be aired - getting drivers to be more aware in general (i.e. off cell phones), safety and observance of motorcycles, etc. I also believe that many people - young or old - think their vehicles (whatever type) can handle like those shown on mfg. ads on TV - stopping / cornering on a dime regardless of speed, etc. I tend to think that those ads makes some people believe that they in fact are as good as the professionals driving those cars in those ads. Just my 2 cents.

Hi,

oldfashioned like we are in Germany, a Kid at Age 15 is allwed to run a small, 50cc MoFa which is going only 25 km/h or 15 mph after a small theoreticall and practical Test. 16 Years old are allowed for 50cc and 45 km/h which is 28 mph Topspeed after another Test. With Age 18 and way more intense Driverschool and hard Tests later are allowed up to 40 hp Bikes. Two Years later, without any Flaws in the Book, you're open Class.

Well this is how it happened for me. I am 25 now, I bought my first bike when I was 18 (of course a rocket). I told my dad and he said "You are going to kill yourself and I am not going to have. If you buy that bike you will no longer be my son and I will not help you out any more." Luckly I just bought the bike and didn't put that many miles on it only the ride home. So I took it back to the dealer and they took it back. I let it die down a bit then I went to buy another (Rocket). Told him and again he said the same thing, well this time he was out of town and with one of my uncles and grandpa. He made me talk to my uncle (harley rider since he was 18) and grandpa. Both said I shouldn't do it and that I would kill myself, so I didnt go through with it. Let it die back down for a while. Age 19 or 20 I was down at my parents, dad and I went down to a local Harley dealer. They had a awesome, great shape, and low milage Honda Magan on the lot in front of the building. I told my dad I liked it and wanted to know how much they wanted. He said NO. Well I talked him into it and finally he said "You take the safety course and you pay for it. I am not helping you at all." So I talked to the salesman and we sat down and did the paper work and I finaced it alone. That day went down to the community college and signed up for the safety course. So I have been riding ever since. I have since then taken the course again with a friend. I agree ANYONE no matter what age should take the course at least once no matter how long you have been riding. It is great and you will learn something promise. Now I own a new 07 Midnight I have had it since mid to late april and have approx 13k on her.

~Everyone RIDE SAFE and GOD BLESS!

Well this is how it happened for me. I am 25 now, I bought my first bike when I was 18 (of course a rocket). I told my dad and he said "You are going to kill yourself and I am not going to have. If you buy that bike you will no longer be my son and I will not help you out any more." Luckly I just bought the bike and didn't put that many miles on it only the ride home. So I took it back to the dealer and they took it back. I let it die down a bit then I went to buy another (Rocket). Told him and again he said the same thing, well this time he was out of town and with one of my uncles and grandpa. He made me talk to my uncle (harley rider since he was 18) and grandpa. Both said I shouldn't do it and that I would kill myself, so I didnt go through with it. Let it die back down for a while. Age 19 or 20 I was down at my parents, dad and I went down to a local Harley dealer. They had a awesome, great shape, and low milage Honda Magan on the lot in front of the building. I told my dad I liked it and wanted to know how much they wanted. He said NO. Well I talked him into it and finally he said "You take the safety course and you pay for it. I am not helping you at all." So I talked to the salesman and we sat down and did the paper work and I finaced it alone. That day went down to the community college and signed up for the safety course. So I have been riding ever since. I have since then taken the course again with a friend. I agree ANYONE no matter what age should take the course at least once no matter how long you have been riding. It is great and you will learn something promise. Now I own a new 07 Midnight I have had it since mid to late april and have approx 13k on her.

~Everyone RIDE SAFE and GOD BLESS!

You have a smart Dad. Thank him for loving you enough to say 'No' when it needed to be said. Not enough of that going around today.

RR

My 2 older brothers and I rode behind my Dad all our lives. We all got our permits when we turned 15 1/2. Some people should not ride at any age, it is more a matter of restraint and maturity than age. I have done stupid stuff on bikes but try to learn from them. :080402gudl_prv: Rod

If Your Gonna Buy A Bike For Your Kid Make Some Guidelines Ahead Of Time....my Grandson Wants A Bike. Rule #1-he Will Not Rided Alone Till He Is 20. He Will Be Alone On The Bike But He Will Be Riding With Somebody Other Than Highschool Friends. Aka-ventureriders. Older Wiser Folks. The Rules Go On From There.

CJ's 16. Put him through the Basic Rider Course last year when Amy bought a Buddy 125 scooter. He rides with us, usually. He rides to church Sunday evenings for Life Teen meetings. He put the scooter in the ditch the first time he rode it, and low sided on a curve a few weeks ago. Scratched up the kickstand and the plastic, and scraped his ankles, but he rode it home.

Its hard to say. Started ridin mini bikes around 11 or 12. One thing about being so young and riding is you quickly learn how much it hurts to go down and back then you weren't goin so fast.

We were always made to ride with a helmet. Have busted 2 of them in my life.

I would not allow any of my kids to learn or ride a sport bike for the first couple of years. But a cruiser in the wrong hands is just as dangerous. Guess it really depends on the operator.

I put my son on a mini dirt bike at 11, on a Mini MX bike at 12 on a full size MX bike at 15. At 16 he sold his dirt bike and got a car. I told him when he had paid and took the safety course with his own money and got his endorsement I would help him find a street bike. He is now 19 and has yet to do it, but I feel he will be relatively safe when he gets around to it.

Good points by all but the one thing I know is one can not be watching nor holding your kids hands all the way through life.

They will twist the throttle to feel the rush(we still do it) and no matter how many times they tell you there carefull in the curves there going to run the twisties(we still do) I know and have herd it over and over again.

The one thing I am hopeing is that they do not out ride there Guardian Angel.

I just trust in there good judgement and training they have and hope they are protected and not paying for my sins....................Ron

Guest Vermincelli

My first bike was a little scatkat trike when I was 5

broke my leg on it at 6 but was back on it the day the cast came off.

Was taught how to ride on the street at 14-15 because we were already riding on the old country roads going back and forth to friends houses so dad made sure I learned the rules of the road since he knew he wasn't going to stop me short of taking the bike away (plus the cops didn't mind as long as we followed the rules. God I love small town life).

MSF at 16 and again at 21

If you spend the time with your kids, it's whatever age you think they are able to ride.

I started very young with minibikes about 8 or 9. The I went to dirt bikes at about 12 or so, a 125cc was the first one. I recommend that a young rider learns on a dirtbike before he learns on a street bike at it will teach shifting and proper gear selection. I use my dirtbike experience a lot on a streetbike, especially with useage of the back brakes and swinging the bike around.

Start small cc's and lots of time getting used to the bike in the yard or a parking lot. Safety course is a given as there is lots of good info with them :happy34:

I started my son (just turned 15 today!) on a kx60 at age 7, rode mostly trails (his choice), just a little motocross tracks (I hate 'em), he moved to a YZ85 3 yrs ago, ready for a YZ250F (4 stroke, like a 125 2 stroke). He has studied my riding for years, out rides older guys on the trails, his fair share of crashes. I will let him go to the street when he is ready, after proper abate training course. I shall certainly trust him more than a lot of other riders I see out there. He rides with me on the Venture and spots stuff out to me! Good luck with your decision.

Dan

Guest Ken8143

Started at age 14 on a Cruizarie, sort of like the Vespa. 50cc engine, had a scooter license from the State of Tennessee, could ride legally within a 7 mile radius of home with noting larger than 50cc. If lucky, going down a hill with the wind behind you maybe 35 mph. That was F-A-S-T.

He was not big on safety - the rear brake did not work as a seal let loose and the drum was loaded with oil. No worries - just coast to a stop. Dang thing some times wouldn't start by stomping on the stomper, just push it down a hill, pop the clutch and try to jump on if it happened to fire. That created some interesting acrobatic movements, like the darn thing taking off on its own while you exhaled dirt and gravel and cat poop.

Oh well - we grew up mostly. I say something little with little power and let them have fun on that and when they finally get some sense move up little by little and take it away the first time they pop a wheely and give it back when they reach 50.