IGNORED

Need some help identifying an RSTD.

OK, I'm sorta looking at this supposedly 2000 RSTD on Ebay. I kinda like the styling, looks a lot like a stratoliner, but it doesn't look like any other TD I've seen. The specs list the HP at 74, and I thought the RSV and TD were more in the 98hp range. Take a look and see what you think. Can't tell by the vin number the seller entered either.

Ebay#190377392320

http://i.ebayimg.com/07/!Bn,Qpbg!2k~$(KGrHqUH-CcEtst!Dgh2BLj(4(QZPg~~_3.JPG

Edited by Condor

is that a royal star boulevard ?

I donno?? I like the looks of it, but what throws me is the 74hp in the discription. It looks more like a 96-97 classic... Not a 2000. I dropped the seller a note to see if he can explain...

It may very well be a Boulevard. I found this via Google. I like.... :thumbsup2:

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2000models/2000models-Yamaha-RoyalStar-Boulevard.htm

Sure looks like it without all the bling.

Edited by Condor

Its one of the early Royal Stars with the V4 engine. But has the small carbs and small air boxes (and no lower wind break) which limit the horsepower as noted. See the history page here on the forum. Several forum members ride them as is. Some mod them to increase the HP. If it were me, I'd probably ride it as is, but I don't ride over normal interstate speeds. Probably a left-over sold new in 2000.

These came out in 1996 and I had a 1998. Mine and most I have seen had hard leather bags. I thought the last year for them was 1999.

They are a nice riding bike with a lower seat height. They are a little doggy with the lower horse power.

These came out in 1996 and I had a 1998. Mine and most I have seen had hard leather bags. I thought the last year for them was 1999.

They are a nice riding bike with a lower seat height. They are a little doggy with the lower horse power.

I just received a couple of messages back from the seller, and he's not much help. Says the bags are aftermarket, and insists it's a 2000 and 98hp. I did find the website that mentions a 'Boulevard' being offered in 2000, but I'm wondering if they were only left over '99's that were dusted off and marketed differently to get them out the door?? If they... Yamaha.. actually did put out a retro styled RSTD and called it the Boulevard it's a rare bike indeed, and I really like it. I'm going to ask the seller for the actual Vin#. That will eliminate any guessing.

This should help.

The bike pictured is a first generation ROYAL STAR, they where made from 1996 to 2001 in variuos models including the Tour Deluxe. They had 79 HP output at the crank.

The bike pictured most likely started it's life as a Royal Star Tour Classic, it has after market bags, the Tour Classic came with the large floppy leather bags, if you look at the other photos on the ebay listing you will see the tank bib is leather with a distinctive tooling pattern used only on the Tour Classics , see pic below from my 98 TC. You will also see a picture of the front fender, mouse over that and enlarge it and you can see it says "Tour Classic", see the picture below from my 98 TC , additionally the passenger back rest is the short version also a standard for theTour Classic.

The original Royal Stars also had a model called Tour Deluxe, from 1998 to 2001 they mirrored the Tour Classic except they had hard bags, rubber tank bibs and tall passengar back rests.

The current version of the Tour Deluxe with 98 hp, did not hit the streets untill 2005.

Edited by M61A1MECH
Add info on new TD

I just looked at the pamphlets I have on hand regarding the older Royal Stars. Here is what was available in STOCK configurations. Pamphlets picked up at Canadian dealers. All early Royal Star models had 28mm carbs, 18L fuel tanks, with seats about 28" high

In 1996 there were 2 models - a Royal Star and a Royal Star Tour Classic. Both had 4 exhausts, the RS had no windshield, no chrome on fenders and no name on fenders. The Tour Classic had hard leather bags, chrome tips on fenders, tour classic written on front fender (2 lines) and on leather bags (1 line), and came with a short back rest for passenger. Royal Star colors were Ivory over Wild Cherry, Onyx, or Pearl White over Royal Blue. Tour Classic were Sandstone over Onyx, or Sapphire Blue over Pearl White (this is one I owned). Oh yes just remembered, the angle of windshield (tour classic) was slightly adjustable but needed wrenched to do it.

By 1998 there were 3 models - a Royal Star, Tour Classic, and Tour Deluxe. The Royal Star was still plain jane, 4 pipes and no windshield or chrome on fenders. The Tour Classic went to 2 pipes and large floppy leather bags, tour classic (2 lines) written on front fender, and no backrest, no chrome on fenders. Tour Deluxe had rigid bags, tour deluxe written (1 line) on front fender, chrome fender tips, no passenger seat, and chrome rack on rear fender. Hard bags latch was on rear and front of bag and I think lid totally came off. RS colors Black, Cherry Red, or Silver over white. TC colors were Black with white, Green with white. TD was Black, or Black over grey.

My 1999 pamphlet shows the new RSV out with Silver with grey, and Silver with burgundy, 32 mm carbs, 22.5L tank and 29.5" seat height. There were also 2 RS models the Tour Classic and Tour Deluxe with the older specs. Tour Classic had 2 pipes, same large floppy bags, Tour classic (2 lines) written on front fender, and no chrome on fenders, rear passenger seat. Tour Deluxe had 2 pipes and a different rigid bag (same as on RSV that year) and had an outer hinge in the middle center of bag. Looks like bag now opened towards the outside. Tour deluxe written on front fender (1 line) with chrome tips, passenger seat and backrest (looks taller). TC colors were Blue with white, or Cherry red. TD was Cherry Red.

Note colors are the exact words from pamphlets. Sorry for the long post folks, and hope this helps someone.

Anyone want some old pamphlets?

Looks like the picture is of a Tour Classic by the writing on front fender.

Edited by BJB

OK, I'm getting a great education here. My problem was that I thought they brought out the RSTD in '99 along with the RSV, and they were powered by the same motor. I also thought that they Royal Star TD stopped being built in '98. Wrong on both counts. And if the one on Ebay is really a 2000 with the detuned motor I don't want it. It hard enuff for my '83 to push around my lard a$$. I can't imagine dealing with a mouse engine.... Thanks to everyone who chimed in with all the good info, and yes I think the history section should be updated... :)

OK, I'm getting a great education here. My problem was that I thought they brought out the RSTD in '99 along with the RSV, and they were powered by the same motor. I also thought that they Royal Star TD stopped being built in '98. Wrong on both counts. And if the one on Ebay is really a 2000 with the detuned motor I don't want it. It hard enuff for my '83 to push around my lard a$$. I can't imagine dealing with a mouse engine.... Thanks to everyone who chimed in with all the good info, and yes I think the history section should be updated... :)

Here's my friends RSTD.. he says it's a 96, one of the very very first, 4 exhaust pipes, leather bags etc.. it's weaker than a 2nd Gen RSV but he says its a blast to ride all the same.. depends what you want to do with it I guess

I should clarify something that is not evident in my earlier post. I only have pamphlets from 1996,98 and 99. I did not mean to imply that those were the years where changes were made, but that I could prove what was available in those years. I am sure that in 97 there were hard bags available. Sorry about the confusion.

The bags in the picture are not Yamaha bags as far as I know. I am sure I looked at those somewhere on the internet in the past.

Just what M61A1MECH said. They were made up to 2001 as the Boulevard, the Tour Classic and the Tour Deluxe. (Per Yammis parts catalogs.) The current RSTD started in 2005. Even though the Road Star is a real close copy of a H-D Softail I'm thinking Yamaha used those Royal Stars as a basis for the Roadie. Good looking bikes. I'll probably have one sometime in the future. :hihi:

there are 4 styles of the royal star that was made from 96-01. my 01 royal star boulivard came with medium height windshield, running lights and cheap yamaha seats(was avaible in all yrs). tour classic I came with 4x4 exhaust, long windshield passenger floorboards sisy bar and short yamaha hard leather bags. tour classic II came with 4x2 exhaust, tall windshield, pass. floorboard, sisy bar, and large slant soft leather bags. both tour classic had the running lights. tour deluxe came with 4x2 exhaust, tall windshield, pass. floorboards, running lights, sisy bar and hard plastic saddle bags that had front and back latches and came off( lot was lost on rides when not latched down good) all of these bikes had 28 mm carbs, single springs on valves and smaller cams several hp ratings has appeared and i think the differances is between crank and rear wheel ratings, but its around 76 rear wheel from several i've seen dynoed. the venture came out in 99 built off the royal star engine with 32mm carbs double springs on valves, counter-balancer, bigger cams, and a little differant gearing. the "new" royal star tour deluxe came back out in 05 with same motor as venture. it don't matter when they are sold, it's when the vin #s says the year model it is.i bought a '01 in 04/01 and it's a 01 and my friend bought a '05 td in july '04 but it's still a '05. some dealer put differant parts on differant models in an attemt to up sell their bike or just to get rid of them back in those days when they weren't selling too good. i was told by several yamaha dealers that they would'nt sell anymore because they weren't worth it. one dealer here, that told me that, got 3 just after i bought mine in cornth, ms, he had them for almost 3 years because he wouldn't come down off the high prices he had on them because he thought since yamaha wasn't making them anymore, he could get it. i got mine for $2400 less than he was wanting.

i have put dyna 3000 ign mog and opened airbox with k&n filter and rejetted carbs and i have out ran bored and stroked harlies while pulling my trailer behind me. it has plenty of power to do what i want!!

This should get merged into the history section article on the early Royal Stars along with pictures of each of the variations.

there are 4 styles of the royal star that was made from 96-01. my 01 royal star boulivard came with medium height windshield, running lights and cheap yamaha seats(was avaible in all yrs). tour classic I came with 4x4 exhaust, long windshield passenger floorboards sisy bar and short yamaha hard leather bags. tour classic II came with 4x2 exhaust, tall windshield, pass. floorboard, sisy bar, and large slant soft leather bags. both tour classic had the running lights. tour deluxe came with 4x2 exhaust, tall windshield, pass. floorboards, running lights, sisy bar and hard plastic saddle bags that had front and back latches and came off( lot was lost on rides when not latched down good) all of these bikes had 28 mm carbs, single springs on valves and smaller cams several hp ratings has appeared and i think the differances is between crank and rear wheel ratings, but its around 76 rear wheel from several i've seen dynoed. the venture came out in 99 built off the royal star engine with 32mm carbs double springs on valves, counter-balancer, bigger cams, and a little differant gearing. the "new" royal star tour deluxe came back out in 05 with same motor as venture. it don't matter when they are sold, it's when the vin #s says the year model it is.i bought a '01 in 04/01 and it's a 01 and my friend bought a '05 td in july '04 but it's still a '05. some dealer put differant parts on differant models in an attemt to up sell their bike or just to get rid of them back in those days when they weren't selling too good. i was told by several yamaha dealers that they would'nt sell anymore because they weren't worth it. one dealer here, that told me that, got 3 just after i bought mine in cornth, ms, he had them for almost 3 years because he wouldn't come down off the high prices he had on them because he thought since yamaha wasn't making them anymore, he could get it. i got mine for $2400 less than he was wanting.

i have put dyna 3000 ign mog and opened airbox with k&n filter and rejetted carbs and i have out ran bored and stroked harlies while pulling my trailer behind me. it has plenty of power to do what i want!!

I had a 1996 Royal Star Tour Classic in blue/white. I also had a 2001 Royal Star Tour Deluxe in Black. 2001 was the last year for the Royal Stars. I traded my 1999 Royal Star Venture in on that 2001 Tour Deluxe. All original Royal Stars had the less HP motor. My 1999 Venture was quite a bit faster than my 2001 Tour Deluxe. The Road Star was brought out because the original Royal Stars were a sales failure, Yamaha realized they needed to copy HD. The new Tour Deluxe has the Venture motor and weights a lot more than the old Royal Stars and is faster. That looks like a 2000 Tour Deluxe to me, but the bags have been changed, accident?

By 1998 ,,,,,,,The Tour Classic went to 2 pipes and large floppy leather bags, tour classic (2 lines) written on front fender, and no backrest, no chrome on fenders. .

Might be true for the Canadian models but the USA models came with backrests. I have two of these from 1998 and have investigated the history of the USA model early Royal Stars from 1996 to 2001 and know it pretty well.

StarFan,

That is why I specified Canadian Pamphlets. I must also point out that you may have bought two of them with backrests, but that doesn't mean they came with them. Many dealers added stuff to make them look better.

For instance tazmocycle says they came with running lights. Now if he is describing passing lamps then I know for a fact that (again Canadian) Royal Star Tour Classic from 1996 did not...I had one and had to add them. However, running lights may mean something else to him...and as I say dealers may have ordered theirs in with passing lamps added (just like buying a car with added features). Not trying to start anything here so please don't start beating up on me OK? LOL Just trying to be as factual as I can and I do have the pamphlets to back me up.

On a minute of reflection, just because it is in the pamphlet doesn't exactly make it so...so maybe you should start beating on me!

Edited by BJB
added thought