IGNORED

front fork problem, parts needed

I went to put new oil seals in my 86 last night, and it seems the PO, or his mech had left out a few parts when they were last worked on...AAARGH! the shop manual names them spring seat, and guide. funny shaped washer and tube piece at the top of the forks.

i test rode it before i knew these were missing and it didnt seem bad, but id like to find the parts, the guide does not show available from dealers and junk yards only want to sell whole fork set ups.

Any one have extra parts lyin around theyd be willing to sell?

Hey Josh,

If you will post the actual part numbers you need, I have a "connection" in Europe that can get these parts usually. (Some of the front end parts still seem to be available there for some reason) I won't know for sure until I have the part numbers, But I am willing to help you with this project if you get me the part numbers.:confused24:

Earl

I went to put new oil seals in my 86 last night, and it seems the PO, or his mech had left out a few parts when they were last worked on...AAARGH! the shop manual names them spring seat, and guide. funny shaped washer and tube piece at the top of the forks.

i test rode it before i knew these were missing and it didnt seem bad, but id like to find the parts, the guide does not show available from dealers and junk yards only want to sell whole fork set ups.

Any one have extra parts lyin around theyd be willing to sell?

Are you sure that the PO didn't install Progressives or some other aftermarket springs?? Without that preload spacer it should have rode like cr@p with OEM springs, and some mechs leave them out when doing a spring upgrade. Any chance you can still get ahold of the PO to check??

thanks all, the po is deceased, ive never seen progressive springs, but they look like the same as on my 87. the thought occured to me, could i install progressive springs and leave out the parts...would that be better.

Earl, thanks!,i will try and find an easier solution before asking you to do alot of work tracking them down but will keep the thought on the back burner

thanks all, the po is deceased, ive never seen progressive springs, but they look like the same as on my 87. the thought occured to me, could i install progressive springs and leave out the parts...would that be better.

That's a thought. Progressives run about $65 bucks the last time I checked. The preload is PVC pipe, and I cut mine in half. Some have left them out and others, superman's cousins, have kept them in one piece. One thing tho-. those cups that fit in the end of the stock preload also fit in the ends of the PVC. You'll need them to prevent the ends of the PVC from getting chewed up by the spring action over time. Earl may have to go to work.... :)

figured you guys would come up with a solution, i can pull the part from my 87 to use as a template, anyother thoughts on this would be helpful,

this sounds like my least expensive alternative if itll work and $ is tight

THANKS GUYS

One thing tho-. those cups that fit in the end of the stock preload also fit in the ends of the PVC. You'll need them to prevent the ends of the PVC from getting chewed up by the spring action over time.
If all else fails, when I changed my Virago to progressives I found there was only a washer sitting on top of the spring between it and the spacer. The washer looked like an ordinary one and was a loose fit inside the forks. That is a cheap solution that should work just as well on the Venture.

there actually was a standard washer in there... any way to find out what the progressive preload looks like so i can try and duplicate it? is it really just a piece o pvc. any modificaton or straight chunk about the inside diameter of fork tube

I can only speak about the Virago, haven't gotten into the VR yet. When I changed to progressive springs I added an extra inch because I wanted more preload to better support my weight and reduce frontend dive. The spacer that came with the springs was 1" schedule 80 PVC and the same length as the stock one. The Venture probably would not be any different.

Now to add another variation for you.

The springs in my forks are not progressive. They are not stock. I don't know what they are. I run them at 0PSI. They have no preload spacer. They are so stiff that if there was a preload spacer I'd pull it out.

Im pretty sure theres nothing aftermarket about the springs, there have been some other areas on this bike that look as though whoever worked on it knew little about what to do.not really sure how a person would leave the spacer out, they are pretty good sized.... I am putting together some spacers from pvc this weekend, the bike is totally in parts so it will be a while till i ride , then once i know the rest of it is in sound working condition i think i will go with progressive springs.

thanks again everyone!

These are the stock springs I took out of my '84. The Progressives or other upgrade spings will be almost as long as the stock sping AND the stock metal spacer together.

The upgrades will be a heavier spring with a tighter wide....more coils. The PVC spacer that came with my Progressives was only about an 1 1/2 long and it was a bear to get the caps back in. But I made it work. HA!!!

You use the orginal cupped washer off the top of the stock spings but flip it over on top of the upgrades and then the spacer on top of that. If you cut the spacer shorter than you want it you can always add extra washers later to increase the preload.

No more dive on the front far enough to bottom and I plugged off the anti-dives on the bike. No need for them even with 0 pressure to the forks.

If you need the spacers let me know. But I hope you have upgrades already. If not.....consider it as a good move.

Mike

the pictures mike put up look totally different than mine. both my bikes springs look the same so i figured they were stock, heck the 86 has sat in a barn the last 11 years so i figured no way they werent stock. was i wrong, can you guys tell by lookin at them? maybe thats why the bike rode ok without the pre load? they measure out to just about what mike says they should.

if nothing else, ive learned alot with this one....

Yep.....Big and beefy! The PO figured out early in the game that the stock springs were junk. You got lucky on that. Saved a few bucks and don't have to do a "Must Do" mod right away.

Now see if Condor still has one of his Condor Fork Braces, throw in some new seals and you can pretty much be done with them for quite a while.

Yep.....Big and beefy! The PO figured out early in the game that the stock springs were junk. You got lucky on that. Saved a few bucks and don't have to do a "Must Do" mod right away.

Now see if Condor still has one of his Condor Fork Braces, throw in some new seals and you can pretty much be done with them for quite a while.

He might already have the braces too, but if not...?? :)

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php/product/2158/cat/6