IGNORED

A Tim Horton's Morning Dicussion

E-Fishin-C

Its not illegal to make them, its not illegal to buy them, but sometimes illegal to use them....:sign03:

:sign yeah that:

And, like everything else, there's always a way around it, maybe not legal but think, would the average LEO know if one were to say,,,,,attach a small YAMAHA logo on the muffler? HUMMM?

Don't get me wrong now I don't advocate illegal tricks but,,,,,,,,,,,some do!

Renne,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,(old sneak):whistling:

2000MM Venture slash cut Road King pipes, 2001 slash cut Road King pipes, 2006 Road Star BUB and they are loud. They make them because people buy them. Just like dark window tent. It is illegal here but people have there windows tinted all the time. Like was said before, it's legal to make them and legal to sell them it's just illegal to run them in some areas.

.... would the average LEO know if one were to say,,,,,attach a small YAMAHA logo on the muffler? HUMMM?

Renne,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,(old sneak):whistling:

I'm not the average..... but here in this state it does say that your exhaust can not emitt loud noise.....

My Venture is stock but my Road Star has Bub's Big Willies with the louder baffles... a bit too loud for me. My wifes VStar 650 has the rear tubes drilled out.

According to where you are in the Lower 48 the pipes may or may not be illegal. In Mississippi there is no specific law against non-factory pipes or a level of noise but if they wanted to cite you they could probably do it for "disturbing the peace" or some other non-specific charge. Here, you will pretty much be left alone unless you're showing your "clASS". Handlebars are not supposed to be over 10" above the clamps but 16's are pretty common.

I'm not the average..... but here in this state it does say that your exhaust can not emitt loud noise.....

Is "LOUD" subjective or do you use a DB meter...? Is "LOUD" in addition to less than responsible riding? Is "LOUD" relative to time of day in WV? I ask these questions with all due respect in that I've seen very wide margins in what is and what is not acceptable.

Renne...........(MN is very tolerant)

99 RSV here with Barons 4-2-4 Nasty Boys. Kinda loud when you get on it but just a good rumble when you are running normal speed without acceleration. I believe the db allowed for mufflers in Texas is about 105db and after that you can be ticketed but it seldom happens as evidenced by all the Harleys around that are deafening and rattle windows.

Attached is how my exhaust look

I have a set of Baron's 4-2-4s I picked up used. I like the look of four exhaust tips out the back of my four cylinder bike. I had to make baffles for them. They came without, and boy were they loud! I'm trying to find the right balance of packing to keep from creating too much back pressure while still keeping the noise reasonable.

Indiana law says nothing about motorcycle exhaust systems, so in theory I could run straight pipes. However non-factory pipes are illegal throughout the USA. No DOT stamp. It's a Federal law, so nobody enforces it. The Feds have mandated a $2,500 fine each time a vehicle that's non-DOT compliant rolls out onto any road that has any federal funding associated with it. That's pretty much all of them. I kept the stock pipes. I'm hoping for a 'fix-it' ticket if the time ever comes.

The motorcycle LEOs out in Oakland made a big deal of changing all their bikes to after market pipes because they wanted to be heard. They even blew $1200 on a study to say loud pipes make more noise. (Like there was a lot of doubt.) Eventually they spent $15,000 changing over the exhausts on 30 bikes. It's been a few years since they changed. At the time I first read about it they'd racked up over $250,000 worth of fines that nobody was levying because there's no active enforcement.

Is "LOUD" subjective or do you use a DB meter...? Is "LOUD" in addition to less than responsible riding? Is "LOUD" relative to time of day in WV? I ask these questions with all due respect in that I've seen very wide margins in what is and what is not acceptable.

Renne...........(MN is very tolerant)

Actually, its officer's discretion. It is him thats has to testify and explain the reasoning in court. Most experienced officer can justify his actions pretty easy. The law states "factory exhaust or equivilent to", so anything louder than factory can be justified. Now just to clear the facts, most not all, officers will not bother a motorcycle unless the rider wants to draw attention to himself. So if a person uses good sense and don't go through a quite neighborhood late at night and causes several complaints to come in, he'll probably be ok. Or that is how I operated the past 20 years.......:2cents:

Thanks to the Tim Horton Group.

http://www.timhortons.com/ca/en/about/2900.html

Tim Horton Biography (1930-1974)

Tim Horton was born in Cochrane, Ontario, Canada on January 12, 1930. He was signed by the Toronto Maple Leafs in 1949 and performed as one of the steadiest defensemen on the blueline throughout his 22 years in the National Hockey League. He played in 1,446 regular season games, scoring 115 goals and 403 assists for a total of 518 points.

He played 17 full seasons and 3 partial seasons for the Toronto Maple Leafs. He served a short stint with the New York Rangers before being traded to the Pittsburgh Penguins. His final years in hockey were with the Buffalo Sabres, where he played a major role in developing the team's younger players.

Tim Horton played on four Stanley Cup teams, was an All-Star player six times, and was honoured in 1969 with the J.P. Bickell Memorial Cup in recognition of his outstanding service to the Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey Club. George Armstrong says of Tim, "No finer person, teammate or hockey player ever lived." In Bobby Hull's words, "Few players brought more dedication or honour to the game. He was my idea of a pro."

http://www.venturerider.org/ca/images/general/media-kit-tim-horton-3-162x106.jpghttp://www.venturerider.org/ca/images/general/media-kit-tim-horton-2-162x106.jpghttp://www.venturerider.org/ca/images/general/media-kit-tim-horton-1-162x106(1).jpg

One of the most heartfelt tributes came from Punch Imlach, then of the Buffalo Sabres. Tim played for Imlach in Toronto during the glory years of the 1960's, and when Buffalo had a chance to pick him up, Imlach didn't hesitate. "I know he was the backbone of our team in Buffalo", said Imlach. "(His death) was a terrible loss, not only to his family and the team, but to the game of hockey."

Gordie Howe has called Tim Horton hockey's strongest man. In a fight, Horton was known to edge into the melee and "grab a couple" of players to help keep the peace. But despite his legendary strength, he was not a proponent of violence on the ice. Some claim Tim invented the slap shot, and he could always be counted on to get the puck out of his own end of the ice with his "heads up" skating style.

Outside the rink, Tim was just as sharp. He realized that his hockey career would not last forever and sought to find a clever way to add to his hockey salary. After many summers of hustling to make an off-season living, Tim decided to try his luck in the coffee and donut business. The first Tim Hortons franchise opened in 1964 in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. In 1967, with three stores in operation, Tim became full partners with former police officer and franchisee of Tim Hortons Store #1, Ron Joyce. Since then, Tim's signature has become a prominent fixture in the Canadian landscape with growing visibility in the United States.

Sadly, Tim did not live to witness the chain's great success. He was traveling back to Buffalo from a game at Maple Leaf Gardens when he was killed in an automobile accident on February 21, 1974. The Buffalo Sabres retired his Number 2 and the Toronto Maple Leafs, his Number 7 sweaters as a tribute to his memory. At the time of Tim's death, there were 40 Tim Hortons stores.

Tim Horton always considered his good fortune in the proper perspective. He was modestly confident about his abilities, was approachable, generous and considerate. His memory will always be held dear by family, friends, players and business associates alike.

Edited by mrich12000
url credit

Thanks to the Tim Horton Group.

http://www.timhortons.com/ca/en/about/2900.html

Tim Horton Biography (1930-1974)

Tim Horton was born in Cochrane, Ontario, Canada on January 12, 1930. He was signed by the Toronto Maple Leafs in 1949 and performed as one of the steadiest defensemen on the blueline throughout his 22 years in the National Hockey League. He played in 1,446 regular season games, scoring 115 goals and 403 assists for a total of 518 points.

He played 17 full seasons and 3 partial seasons for the Toronto Maple Leafs. He served a short stint with the New York Rangers before being traded to the Pittsburgh Penguins. His final years in hockey were with the Buffalo Sabres, where he played a major role in developing the team's younger players.

Tim Horton played on four Stanley Cup teams, was an All-Star player six times, and was honoured in 1969 with the J.P. Bickell Memorial Cup in recognition of his outstanding service to the Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey Club. George Armstrong says of Tim, "No finer person, teammate or hockey player ever lived." In Bobby Hull's words, "Few players brought more dedication or honour to the game. He was my idea of a pro."

http://www.venturerider.org/ca/images/general/media-kit-tim-horton-3-162x106.jpghttp://www.venturerider.org/ca/images/general/media-kit-tim-horton-2-162x106.jpghttp://www.venturerider.org/ca/images/general/media-kit-tim-horton-1-162x106(1).jpg

One of the most heartfelt tributes came from Punch Imlach, then of the Buffalo Sabres. Tim played for Imlach in Toronto during the glory years of the 1960's, and when Buffalo had a chance to pick him up, Imlach didn't hesitate. "I know he was the backbone of our team in Buffalo", said Imlach. "(His death) was a terrible loss, not only to his family and the team, but to the game of hockey."

Gordie Howe has called Tim Horton hockey's strongest man. In a fight, Horton was known to edge into the melee and "grab a couple" of players to help keep the peace. But despite his legendary strength, he was not a proponent of violence on the ice. Some claim Tim invented the slap shot, and he could always be counted on to get the puck out of his own end of the ice with his "heads up" skating style.

Outside the rink, Tim was just as sharp. He realized that his hockey career would not last forever and sought to find a clever way to add to his hockey salary. After many summers of hustling to make an off-season living, Tim decided to try his luck in the coffee and donut business. The first Tim Hortons franchise opened in 1964 in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. In 1967, with three stores in operation, Tim became full partners with former police officer and franchisee of Tim Hortons Store #1, Ron Joyce. Since then, Tim's signature has become a prominent fixture in the Canadian landscape with growing visibility in the United States.

Sadly, Tim did not live to witness the chain's great success. He was traveling back to Buffalo from a game at Maple Leaf Gardens when he was killed in an automobile accident on February 21, 1974. The Buffalo Sabres retired his Number 2 and the Toronto Maple Leafs, his Number 7 sweaters as a tribute to his memory. At the time of Tim's death, there were 40 Tim Hortons stores.

Tim Horton always considered his good fortune in the proper perspective. He was modestly confident about his abilities, was approachable, generous and considerate. His memory will always be held dear by family, friends, players and business associates alike.

Sounds like a life to be proud of. Thanks. And now I know the rest of the story.:D Loud pipes are a personal decision. Me, I like to hear them on someone else's bike. Really. I'm already deaf enough from too many years of countless hours driving tractors. The wifes other name ought sometimes to be "Huh". One thing though should be mandatory if your going to be running loud pipes. Its the smell of nitromethane. Yea, loud pipes and the smell of nitromethane. That gets your heart pumping!

i used to deliver the daily newspaper to Tim Horton when i was younger.

he was a very nice guy. cute wife too.

Tim Horton started a coffee franchise in Canada and it took off big time.

USA equivalent to Dunkin Donuts.

i run a pair of Road Kings on my 86 and love the sound. never been stopped. it is a stock muffler so i should not have any trouble.

Edited by mother
yup