IGNORED

Fav Book

dunvilsteev

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite in recent years is Point of Impact by Stephen Hunter. All of his books are pretty good. Somebody else mentioned Vince Flynn. Authors I read years ago and were mentioned, Robert Heinlen, Isaac Asimov,Louis Lamour. One that hasn't been mentioned that I liked was The Mouse That Roared by Leonard Wibberly. Dean Koontz writes some pretty good stuff. I like the older Stephen King stuff but he seems to go on and on now.

http://www.kimharrison.net/TheBooks.html

Kim Harrison ...Vampires and Witches good read.

http://www.laurellkhamilton.org/works.html

Hamilton's Ballantine series features Fey princess and private investigator, Merry Gentry and there are now six novels exceeding one million copies in print. Divine Misdemeanors, the eighth in the series will debut Decmber 8th 2009.:thumbsup:

Robert Ludlum - specially the Bourne trilogy

Louis L’Amour – currently on book 4 of the Sackett series

Ralph Compton – if you like L’Amour you will also like Ralph Compton

Jean M, Auel – Earth children

I am very partial to westerns. Also a big fan of historical fiction or novels

I was a very "slow " student back in the 50's and could hardley read when I left high school. Then I started to read the books of moveis I liked. Robin Hood was the first and the book and movie are very different. Which is true for most movie/book ideas.

I have read all the Sherlock Holmes at least 3 times and all the Nearo Wolf books 5 times. Lord of the Rings a couple of times. James Bond more times than I can count.

If you motorcycle try " Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintence " by Robert Pirsig. It is NOT about how to repair your bike but a man looking at life while on a motorcycle trip with his son. If you travel alot with a group of people it helps you to understand where they are comimg from with there point of view.

cb

Here is a good way to kill a couple of days. It is addicting. (http://www.advrider.com/) Spend a few minutes once the home page loads and enjoy the photos before clicking on the "enter" button at the bottom. Enter, then click on the Ride reports and pics, pics, pics... this will take you to the RR (Ride reports). This would be a good way to forget about winter. You can also click on the Ratings heading to sort the best rated by the viewers.

Here is a good way to kill a couple of days. It is addicting. (http://www.advrider.com/) Spend a few minutes once the home page loads and enjoy the photos before clicking on the "enter" button at the bottom. Enter, then click on the Ride reports and pics, pics, pics... this will take you to the RR (Ride reports). This would be a good way to forget about winter. You can also click on the Ratings heading to sort the best rated by the viewers.

I am addicted to this site. I check Venturerider and then spend quite a bit of time on advrider.

Science fiction/fantasy

Chronicles of Scar, Legacy of the Ancients, and Lanterns of God. By Ron Sarti.

This trilogy reads like fantasy but is really a post apocalyptic science fiction. Very good read, especially the last one.

Fantasy

Lord of Light, and Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny.

Science fiction

Enders Game and Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card

A Fire Upon the Deep, and A Deepness in the Sky by Vernor Vinge

Any of the 13 Robot or Foundation books by Isaac Asimov

Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command by Timothy Zahn (episodes 7, 8 and 9 of Star Wars (Lucas originally planned 9 movies, but contracted Zahn to do the last 3 in novel form.

Non fiction

Who's Your Caddy by Rick Reilly

Humor/ Science Fiction

How Much for Just the Planet by John M. Ford (this is a Star Trek novel, but is often disliked by the Trekkies as it completely slapstick)

Classical

Hamlet

Edited by hig4s

Totally cool site amigos!!

Not that I'd be taking the baby down any of this stuff, but great to see other peoples adventures.

I get tense on gravel, can't imagine sand and water.... wanna talk top heavy then!!

I've looked into tours were you get a rental bike etc, but the cost is usually so much as compared to a week in Jamaica that wifey would never go for it.

As somebody once sang, " TO DREAM, THE IMPOSSIBLE DREAM...." (or was that a Flintstones episode, I tend to get them mixed up nowadays)

Here is a report on some of the places some riders took their bikes years ago.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29723

HAD to send that one off to friends, unreal where those boys rode their sleds. And you had to smile at the "snow parking" pics.

I've been looking for threads showing Prestatyn, North Wales area (birthplace) but nothing so specific ... YET! I'm sure theres something .... just gotta dig!

Reminds of the books Jupiters Travels by Ted Simon, I think everyone's heard of those.

i have a monkey on my back ! i read every nite , about 3 books a week , i am a scifi nut and can't afford riding and reading at the same time so i found this site http://www.baen.com/library/ is legal and free but warning ! its a trap after you read all the free scifi books and there is a lot of them , they sell down load books , but they are a lot cheaper than hard copy's about 4 to 6 bucks , when driving the cage i,ll put 1 on the netbook and use the text to speech to listen too .

Two thumbs up for William Least Heat Moon's Blue Highways .. I think I'm on my 9th or 10th reading :)

Been trying to dig up a copy of this book since it has been mentioned a few times, but the best I can do so far is about $8 for a used paperback copy with what looks like a sticker peeled off the cover. Burns my bum to pay that. The dam shipping is what gets ya. That was through ebay, couldn't find any at amazon.... any suggestions?

Robert Ludlum spy series - fiction

Jean M. Auel Earth Children series - historical fiction

Louie L'Amour - I liked the Sackett series the best

Wilbur Smith - historical fiction southern Africa - The Courtney and Ballantyne series.

James A. Michener - Hawaii, The Source, Centennial, Chesapeake, Texas, Alaska, Caravans

So many books, so little time.

Here are a couple more I thought of:

C.S. Forester - Hornblower series - historical fiction in the Admiral Nelson era.

Ellis Peters - nom de plume of Edith Pargeter - Cadfael (monkish Sherlock, somewhat historical) mysteries in 12th century England. Many have been made into TV series and movies.

Dudley Pope - Nicholas Ramage series of historical sea novels in the Napoleonic war era.

Hmmm... seem to be a lot of historical novels there.

Count me in on the CS Forester stuff and also Dudley Pope. (Love that historical fiction of the old sailing warships!!!) Also, very fond of W.E.B. Griffin in all the series he's created. Great stuff!!

Diana Gabaldon

Sara Donati

They both have on-going sets of books, and I'm hooked (up around 7 books now)

Nigel Tranter...writes fiction based on history of scottish royal house, all the way back to Robert the Bruce.

Anything based on English royal house....... the history of Kings & Queens and the changes is facinating.

I like an interesting read, but where I learn something about another country, or history.

James Mitchner

Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich always makes me laugh

The Last Lecture - made a huge impact me last year and had both my daughter's read it.

Exodus by Leon Uris

The Hunger Games Series by Suzanne Collins

I read a lot of US history - Civil War and Lincoln have been my favorite time in history, but I find myself braching out to other time periods from there.

I currently have Dracula on my night stand to read next.

I like anything by Follett.

My favorite has to be "Pillars of The Earth".

Is that the one about the master stonemason who wanted to build a cathedral? If it's the one I'm thinking of I read it 3 times and enjoyed it very much each time.

Count me in on the CS Forester stuff and also Dudley Pope. (Love that historical fiction of the old sailing warships!!!) Also, very fond of W.E.B. Griffin in all the series he's created. Great stuff!!

I've never read the C.S Forester stuff, but I though the BBC Hornblower series with Ioan Gruffudd as Hornblower was great.

I just finished World Without End, by Ken Follett, the sequel of the epic Pillars of the Earth. Quite a good read, medieval timeframe, but I'd suggest reading Pillars first so as to understand the characters a little better. At 2000 pages total these hefty tomes will take a while to work through, but the story glides by nicely.