IGNORED

What's soft on the inside and hard on the outside?

Snaggletooth

Well .......when I shut the bike down for the season I removed all the plastic and took it into my little basement shop with the intentions of repairing minor cracks and fabbing up some new tabs that were broken. Got that done. Now with all the winter weather we have been having I've been staring at pieces of my bike for a few weeks now. I hate that!

So with some spare hours and some serious self pep talks I took on a new project. Lining the trunk and saddlebags with trunk liner.

So today I finished the lower trunk body. Pretty happy with the results so far. Now onto the trunk lid and the major challenge......the saddlebags. Like they couldn't add a few more curves to these things! Geesh.

Got to go find a Sunday paper. Need to make more patterns.

Mike

Edited by Snaggletooth

What's soft on the inside and hard on the outside?

Warden said it was my head??? :confused24:

I have the felt tucked away for that job if I ever get a bike I'm going to stick with. "Ugly" is going to be a great ride but I have a 83 with a new frame and a 2nd gear for it and a few V-Max parts. Great looking plastic. I guess its time for that retirement project.

Hey Brad.

With all the favors and help I've gotten from you I might just owe you that. I'll let you know if I ever want to see the inside of a bag again when I get mine done. LOL!

Mike

I'm joking my friend, but if you make up templates I'd be willing to be folks would buy them as a kit

:2cents:

Well .......when I shut the bike down for the season I removed all the plastic and took it into my little basement shop with the intentions of repairing minor cracks and fabbing up some new tabs that were broken. Got that done. Now with all the winter weather we have been having I've been staring at pieces of my bike for a few weeks now. I hate that!

So with some spare hours and some serious self pep talks I took on a new project. Lining the trunk and saddlebags with trunk liner.

So today I finished the lower trunk body. Pretty happy with the results for far. Now onto the trunk lid and the major challenge......the saddlebags. Like they couldn't add a few more curves to these things! Geesh.

Got to go find a Sunday paper. Need to make more patterns.

Mike

Man that looks really good!! Wanna do mine????

Looks great !! my wife did the same to our '87 and she's planning to do it to the '06 (one of these days). On the '87 we had a divider that ran from front to rear about 4" in from the right edge. It was held in place with velcro tabs on each end. I got that idea from my '85 which had it when I bought it.

Hey MikesBikes

Yeppers, it's all glued in except the bottom pad. I tired my luck with using the old foam insert that pads the bottom and covered it with trunk liner material I found at Wally World for $8.88 a roll. Big roll.....should take two rolls to do the trunk and bags if I don't screw up too much. Started out using a can of spray head liner adhesive made by Duro. Coated both the top of the pad and the back of the liner and let them tack up and stuck them together. Rolled the liner over the back about an inch and glued that down.

Laid it out on the bench and laid a piece of plywood on it and dropped a tool chest on it for the night. End result.....the liner is going the be on there a looooonnnng time.

I made paper patterns of the sides in three sections so the material could be cut to shaped to fit the curves without having to have a lot of seams. Three pieces did the trick with about an inch overlap. Once those were glued in a quick piece to cover the plastic housing for the latches and dropped the bottom insert in and was good to go.

I finished the patterns tonight for the top of the trunk. That is going to be four seperate pieces. The bags,,,,,,,Good Lord I don't know yet. They are going to be a challenge.

I'm looking at some flexible LED strips and could be glued in or attached with velcro to add some lights to the inside of the trunk and bags.

I'm hoping it warms up soon so I can get back to riding and quit thinking about what else I can do while I'm sitting around looking at pieces of my bike. But I am looking forward to how this all works out. Looking good so far.

Well. I got the trunk lid pretty much finished up. Couple to things to detail out yet. The top was a lot tougher to fit than the bottom and it shows a bit in the seams but hey, it works.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda ya know.

But here for your entertainment is the final product.

Edited by Snaggletooth

I forgot to mention I added a power lead to the trunk. I wanted to have a light installed in there. You know the game. You lose your keys. lighter, pliers, beer or ice cream money.....whatever, but first you have to find your flash light to find whatever you lost. Where's that at? ......in the trunk. The dark trunk.

So I put together a project box with a 6 LED Pod and a flipper switch. It tucked in nicely under the latch panel. Wires run under the pad and though a small hole in the bottom of the trunk. I will patch it into the line for the LED marker lights I installed on the bike last year.

I wondered if 6 LEDs would be enough light. Oh yeah! So if you ever come up on a blue glow on the side of the road late at night.......stop by and say hi!

Edited by Snaggletooth

Hey elag.

The liner I used was from Wally World. All Purpose Replacement Carpet by OZITE. 36" x 72" rolls. They had black and gray but were not able to get the tan which was what I wanted. Used the best part of one roll for the trunk alone.

I tried two different adhesives. I started with another product from Wally World called All Purpose Spray Adhesive by DURO. About $7.00 a can. Good mist and easy to apply and seem to stick very well when coating both the trunk and the back of the liner.

I ran out of that so I grabbed a can from NAPA called Body Shop Heavy Duty Headliner and Carpet Adhesive. About $13.00 a can. It was a heavier spray and a lot more fiberous when applied. When you laid the liner section you had to pretty much be on the money the first time. It sticks really well.

I had a few loose edges so I detailed the outer edges with Devcon Weldit All Purpose Cement and clamped the edges for a couple of hours. That's not going to come loose!

I tried this before on another bike using felt. Didn't work out so well. The felt soaked up the adhesive and turned hard where it did. And the felt didn't wear very well. This liner material is not woven so it won't unravel and it is pretty flexible and easier to shape. Should hold up well in the long run.

I hope.

Hey ya Squeeze...

And it's gonna get worse I'm afraid. Been watching the thread on the trunk organizers and I liked the one with the plexi divider on the left side. So......back to the drawing board.

I was watching my neighbor the other night opening the cover on his pickup with his remote control. Hit the button and the lil motor cranks the rams up and tips the cover up. Hummmm........wonder if that would work.......ah STOP IT!!!!!

Still trying to figure out where the disco ball is going to mount up at.

I need to get out for a while. I think the adhesive fumes are having an affect.

You ever notice when you're not riding you're "fixing" something.

Howdy Bryan,

Hey! We never did manage to get together last summer did we. Oh well...the life of working stiffs.

Hey ya know.....why can't ya? If you are allowed to play with sharp objects without parental supervision and have a tolerance for adhesive fumes.....or enjoy them.....you to can be a man cave interior designer!

You see rather you are building a coffee table from a V-8 or sticking a rug in a trunk.....the artist will be revealed! But then again I think it helps if you are a Gemini.

ahh.....yep.....it's the fumes. I gotta go turn a fan on. :rotfl:

Ok....this is it......no more.....the trunk is done.

Made up a partition to fit on the left side out of 1/4" foam core and covered it with the same liner. Fits into place and it tied down with a couple of pieces of Velcro hook tape. It sticks to the liner well.

Found an organizer at Wally World that fits perfect in the center. Both lift out if I need more room on a trip.

This is for my daily runs and shorty trips. The half helmet still sits on top of the organizer with room to spare.