IGNORED

Insurance sticker shock!!!

Mel

O.K. here we are in Indianapolis and we just brought home the 2007 RSV. Used email to submit info. for changing existing insurance from a 650 V-star to the Venture. Have existing policy with Progressive. New quote is $760 a year!!! So-o-o, I submitted a request for quote to a different web site, got back a quote for Dairyland Insurance for $537.84, big difference. Any input about who writes your insurance, cost, etc. (especially from hoosiers) would be appreciated. $760 a year seems to be very high, considering we can only ride about 7-8 months a year. Oh, yeh--- I love my new used Venture. Quite a bit different than the '84 VR that I got rid of in 2004. I've only ridden about 25 miles on it so far, but I'm glad to be back on a Venture.

Mel,

Try American Family as well .. they write in Indiana and fairly reasonable on their rates. One caution with AmFam through, their policy language can be confusing .. they insure the bike which is the frame, wheels, motor, seat, and tank as one item, and then they insure the bags, top case, fairing, and misc accessories as the rest.

Not advocating AmFam...just another option in Indiana. I used to work for them...good insurance, terrible employer!

Curt

Yikes. I'd definitely shop around. Check with whoever you have your homeowner's (or renters) insurance with as well as your automotive insurance. Sometimes you can get a multiple policy discount.

I am currently with progressive, no citations, violations, crashes, claims etc. but still considered a "high-risk driver" due to my age and am paying half of what that is for 2 motorcycles. (Full coverage on my RSV). I realize that a newer vehicle is worth more and whatnot, but wow. That is intense.

Shop around and hopefully you'll find something good. (By the way, I know Texas is not Indiana, but I have insured vehicles when I lived in Michigan and Illinois, and for bikes, I have never paid close to that).

Good luck friend.

Yup! I mentioned how my current coverage will be going up 48% next year. I'll be switching to Progressive and I should be paying real close to what it is right now, may a few bucks cheaper.

And it's not just auto insurance that's going up either. My health insurance keeps going up. My co-pays are through the roof. I can only afford a few of the meds I'm supposed to take. Even some of those I can only afford to take half the prescribed dose.

About a year ago I spent weeks contacting as many companies as I could and I find that they vary so much that you HAVE to check them all to get the best price.

I ended up going with Geico. Their full coverage on all three bikes was less than coverage on JUST the Venture from the highest priced company.

here is a link to our provincial insurance company called SGI. We dont have a choice of who to buy our insurance and registration from, it has to be from them. I think standard is 500 de on collision and theft, comprehensive from weather etc. I beleive there is also a 1m liability clause.

I license my bike for the months i use it (usually about 8- 9 months) and i pay 58 bucks a year storage insurance for the time it isnt insured.

I do have the maximum safety rating so it entitles me to my 20% discount.

http://www.sgi.sk.ca:8080/VehicleFeeCalculator/make.do

Brian:mo money:

What level of coverage did you get? I'm maxed out. Top of the line coverage for $755 a year from Progressive.

In '05 I got picked off of a new '05 by one of our uninvited visitors from the south. No license, no insurance, no green card, no stick around. A girl in traffic chased him for forty minutes before the LEOs caught up and cuffed and stuffed him and his buddy. He got 90 days. I got a crushed left leg with severed artery and a year of down time complete with bone graft.

My health insurance covered most of the leg with Progressive chipping in their part. They paid off the bike and gave me the balance. When the bills went over what they'd already paid a young lady showed up and gave me a check for the uninsured/underinsured. It covered all our expenses while I was down, plus I paid cash for my current Venture. Ordered it from my rented hospital bed.

I'm still with Progressive. They came through. And my payment has gone down every year in spite of the large payoff. I don't want anything to do with cheap insurance.

Darn Bummer, your story makes riding less attractive.

And I didn't even mention the ten surgeries, the external fixture, or the titanium parts. (I only limp a little bit when I get tired.)

On the other hand, I still ride. I found this place while I was in the hospital and had a few great adVentures. Made a lot of friends I'd do anything for - never had any brothers before, now I do.

All in all I don't know if I'd volunteer to do it again, but I'm really not sorry it happened.

I do, however, keep the medical and the uninsured/underinsured maxed out.

Above all, I still ride.

Mine is with grange, less than 300 a year, 297.79 I think was the last bill.

That for full coverage with $250 deductable on collision, on my 2004 RSV and Karren 1999 Road star, liability and theft only on my 1974 cl360, and 1971 CL 100.

it breaks down to

RSV $147 a year

road star $92 a year

cl 360 $32 a year

cl 100 $17 a year

plus a policy fee of $21

Our cars are also insured with grange also, they require you to insure all of your motor vehicles with them to get discounts. we have 4 vehicles plus a motorhome.

Of course progressive has multiple bike discounts, when we were with them, it was cheaper to insure four bikes than just one.

Gregg

with pekin

$314.00 a year $250.00 deductible

replacement coverage with $13k in accessorie coverage.

many folks don't know that all those add on chrome goodies and gizmoes that you add to your skuter will not be covered unless they are listed prior to any claim.

some companies charge an additional fee to cover them, and some do not.

pekin does not charge any additional fees, they only require that they be aware of any added items prior to a claim. i update my list a couple times a year.

update your list, before it's too late. mike

Mine is $18.78 with $250 deductable; Been with State Farm since I was 16, and they have always treated me well. That's $225.36 per year, pd monthly for a $1 fee. Sure the bike is older; this is a multiple vehical and house rental ins coverage rate.

Still, given the impact on my fixed pension funds (three of them; fortunate) I will check those listed here. Thanks to everyone on this post.

JackZ