IGNORED

Baron Tach and Ponch's gauge set

Any one tried taking apart the Baron's tach to see if it will fit as a gauge for Ponch's gauge set?

I unscrewed the main cap and the face of the tach looks to be just the right size. I can see using a small plexiglass square infront of the tach face for protection. Can use weather sealant to keep the plexiglass attached to Ponch's plate.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Wish the garage was heated. When it gets warmer I am going to start my winter projects. I'll give it a shot. Biggest challenge I would think is getting it mounted to the gauge plate as I doubt there is any screw sticking out the back or anything like that to be able to mount it to a bracket. Not sure if there is a way to hold it in via tension or if you are absolutely sure this is what you want to do, maybe tack weld it into the bracket.

In the meantime anyone else that wants to try it, let us know.

I've been quiet about it, but I am working on this. I think I can mount the Drag Specialties tach in the dash plate. I haven't made one yet, but it's in the works. The tach would cover the Cruise control button, but I plan to relocate it between the upper gauges.

I don't have a Barron's tach. If someone would provide dimesions I can work on it.

Attached is a preliminary drawing showing (2) 2 1/16" gauges on top and the 1 5/8" tach on the bottom. I'm going to try it first with the 1 1/2" gauges on top.

[ATTACH]41098[/ATTACH]

Ponch

I guess that's my thing, is I don't see a need for oil or temp on these scoots. Contemplating about a 2 hole plate for volt or amp and tach.

Or might do a 3 hole plate for volt, amp, and tach w/ Ponch's new plate he posted above.

I would reconsider the temp gauge.

I recently installed a set on Skyking's MM. As part of the install, I always let the motor heat up to max to check for leaks under pressure and to make sure the fan kicks on. His heated to 240° before I shut it off. He had a vent hose stuck in the fan. We fished it out and it still wouldn't come on. The fuse was blown and the circuit had a short (probably a burned up fan motor). Had he not had the gauge, we may have never known until it overheated somewhere.

Would you please post a pic of this brake reservoir tach? My 1998 standard Royal Star has no tach, and I want one. Is this tachometer "plug-n-play"? If so, exactly where does it plug in? Thx.

Check out Jim's album.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=2384

Boomer, I can make pretty much what ever you want. Just let me know.

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv87/dawarren77377/Gauges/2Gauge2sw.jpg?t=1265657870

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv87/dawarren77377/Gauges/2Gauge2swb.jpg?t=1265657894

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv87/dawarren77377/Gauges/GaugePlate2116-1.jpg?t=1265686250

Edited by Ponch

I was in Harbor Freight today and see they carry a 2" tach. Also you can get the same design in water temp, oil, & amp gauges. They come with a silver bezel, red needle, and black face. Lighting is green led. Each cost $20.

They also carry the 1 1/2" three gauge assemblies. Black faced with a chrome plate holder. Those were $20 too.

Larry

I was in Harbor Freight today and see they carry a 2" tach. Also you can get the same design in water temp, oil, & amp gauges. They come with a silver bezel, red needle, and black face. Lighting is green led. Each cost $20.

They also carry the 1 1/2" three gauge assemblies. Black faced with a chrome plate holder. Those were $20 too.

Larry

For what it is worth Larry I bought one of those and asked someone about hooking it up and I was told it would not work. Being electrically challenged :yikes: I took it back and never fooled with it to try to get it to work.

• 2 months later...

Ponch,

I'd like to put a set of gauges in my Millennium. Steve Wagner is going to be painting a new radiator grill for me so he said he could paint the gauge plate at the same time.

I want to add a tach. Optimally I'd like a 3 gauge set with one of the Smiths dual oil/water temp gauges, volt meter, and tach. Has anyone found a good 1-1/2 inch tach yet? I wouldn't be opposed to a combo digital gauge of some kind as part of the mix.

second part of the question. If we can work together to figure out what I need and get the base plate painted in time. Is putting in a set of gauges something that could be done on Saturday at Freebird's maintenance day, if I do the work and you do the supervising?

tia

Randy, I haven't started producing them yet, but this is what I have going.

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv87/dawarren77377/Gauges/DSCF5297.jpg?t=1273068796

It uses 1 1/2" gauges and the 1 7/8" Drag Specialties Tach. I have to tweak it a little for clearance between the bottom of the tach and the bottom of the inner fairing, It is steel with black (smoke) lexan laminate. I plan to make some with Carbon fibre laminate and white (or any other color) mother of pearl guitar pickgaurd material laminated to steel.

Actually considering a Smith's dual gauge.

http://thegaugeshop.com/.media/680124178592.png they're made in several configurations.

Me Like! Ponch, have you found a volt meter and tach that look good with this? Love the black face. And love your new design. I'm glad I've been waiting on doing this.

Edited by Yamaman
I'm stupid.