IGNORED

Stebel air horn saved my a**

Gary N.

Yesterday we were heading to the Barrett Jackson car auction on the 101 loop road around Phoenix. I was running in the middle lane at the speed limit with the headlight modulator on. A guy in a jeep in the right lane decides he wants my spot and came about half way into my lane before he got the message. Last I seen him, he was still in the right lane and had dropped back to a crawl. That was too close for comfort.

I am a firm believer in the air horns, saved my butt a time or too. I think they ought to be standard equipment on all bikes. Glad you made it out OK.

Dan

PS, feel free to buy me something while you're there, I'll be glad to pay for shipping! We'll look for you on Speed TV tonite!

Got them on the big truck...:happy34:

The only problem is when the kids want me to honk the horn..If somebody is next to me and they aren't seeing the the kids pump their arms,they are in for the shock of their lives..:yikes::yikes:

Our kids love to hear those big horns! Even at 13 and 16!

Gary that guy probably hung back cause he was afraid you would smell his shorts if he was ahead of you! We sure are glad of the result.

My Stebels on my bikes have prevented a couple of almost certain collisions with inattentive cagers. Amazing how quickly they change lanes away from you. I totally agree, if I could install a train horn, I would.

Our kids love to hear those big horns! ...

uh. I still like to hear the big horns too :whistling:...

+1 to the air horn(s) on the bike being a great addition. I too am looking for a way to get a second set on mine. It would be nice to get a set that is lower pitched than the stebel - that is to have a wider range, bigger noise, etc. REALLY get people's attention.

Do I need to replace just one of them (if so which) or both of them. Funds are an issue.

You CAN just replace one if you choose to. The stebel can be found for 35-50ish depending on your source. Many of us have replaced the stock horn by the right passenger floorboard. There is lots of info on them here, you've just got to do some minor searching :happy34:

Do I need to replace just one of them (if so which) or both of them. Funds are an issue.

You're just using the stock horn wire as a signal source. Do as many as you want.

I used the one on the side to trigger a set of Rivco air horns hanging under the swingarm. I used the one inside the left lower fairing to trigger a set of Fiamm extra loud electrics inside the front fairing. It also activates a modulator hooked to my passing lamps, and turns off the modulator on my main headlight. I'm also planning on adding a Stebel (300 Hz) on the right side where everybody else puts theirs. It's hard to have too many horns.

I got run over once with my stock horns going eeeeeee. The next maniac may run me over, but he'll be deaf when he does. As an added plus, when he flees the LEOs should be able to recognize him by the smell.

I am still working on a way to get train horns on my bike.

I have train horns on my P/U truck and they work wonders for tonsil inspections on pinheads.

I have found all of the parts and figured out how to mount everything but the horn its self. Its a big hunk of horn to fit on a bike.

For now I will have to limp along with my "wimpy" Bad Boy air horns.

Gary, sure hope that wind storm missed you...looks like it trashed the tents and area of the auction!! Be safe and hope all is ok...

Yesterday we were heading to the Barrett Jackson car auction on the 101 loop road around Phoenix. I was running in the middle lane at the speed limit with the headlight modulator on. A guy in a jeep in the right lane decides he wants my spot and came about half way into my lane before he got the message. Last I seen him, he was still in the right lane and had dropped back to a crawl. That was too close for comfort.

I ran a 14ga wire from my Stebel horn relay to the stock horn, behind the left fairing, too. It is amazing how much louder that stock horn is with a larger wire. It has a lower tone so combined with the Stebel it is REALLY loud!!! :178:

Imagine if you will, one of those cheap tail light modulators with the output going to a relay for the second of two of those horns. First one blasting and second one coming and going. I have an extra one, I may give that a test to see what it'll do.

Gary, sure hope that wind storm missed you...looks like it trashed the tents and area of the auction!! Be safe and hope all is ok...

Yep, we were right in the middle of that storm. We decided to stay put here in Buckeye until the weather improves.

http://www.trainhorn.org/Kleinn-Direct-Drive-Air-Horn--2-trumpet_p_115.html

I'm thinking on these.. with a compressor like that, i imagine they would be quite LOUD :)

i've got a pair of stebls, one low tone, one high tone. they pulled so much juice that on my 82 GS if i hooked them both up and the bike was just at idle, it killed it. but they are holy CRAP loud with 12 gauge wire! :D