IGNORED

Passing Lights vs No Passing Lights

I have a set of passing lights on order for my 2009 Venture, but now I am having second thoughts about installing them. Yes, I know they are safer and make night driving better, but it also means just ANOTHER mod added to the electrical system and another thing to go wrong.

So, I'm interested in opinions from BOTH those that have passing lights and those that decided against installing passing lights.

Do you feel they enhance the look of the bike or detract away from it?

Thanks...I am really on the fence about this one.

Wally

Took me a while but I finally put them on. I like them because of the extra lights at night, and makes us more visible. I did find 1 good reason for having them, and that is I find that the cages don't pull out in front of me as often.. I'm not saying they all stopped, but it seems that when they see more then 1 light they are not as sure of what kind of vehical it is, so they hesitate.

I also think it enhances the look of the bike. And I haven't had any problems with them and i have had them for almost a year now .

Hope this helps

I have a set of passing lights on order for my 2009 Venture, but now I am having second thoughts about installing them. Yes, I know they are safer and make night driving better, but it also means just ANOTHER mod added to the electrical system and another thing to go wrong.

So, I'm interested in opinions from BOTH those that have passing lights and those that decided against installing passing lights.

Do you feel they enhance the look of the bike or detract away from it?

Thanks...I am really on the fence about this one.

Wally

I'm interested in the arguments against as well, because I've never heard them (besides cost).

For my RSTD, I wanted them for safety. As soon as I had them on, I realized the bike looked a lot better too. More complete, somehow. In my opinion, those stock turn stalks just look nekkid and crummy, especially on the Venture.

I was glad for them today in the fog. They didn't help me see any better, but I put out an almighty large blob of light that let others see me.

Good luck with whatever you decide,

Dave

One of the best investments I made for the bike. I can see better, the cages can see me better, and the bike looks better....it's a win all around.:D

Plus, as I do a lot of night riding to and from work, it's nice to know I have some backup lights in case the headlamp goes out while on the road.:happy34:

Being able to see better at night outweighs any cons as far as I'm concerned. Especially as thick as the deer are around here. I actually changed mine to 4.5 inch headlights so I have 2 more high beams. Makes a world of difference when looking for those critters at night.

I can't make up my mind either. At least I don't think I can make up my mind. No I'm sure I can't make up my mind... I think? Anyway I have passing lights on my 2000MM and I don't have passing lights on my 2001 Venture. Hows that for riding the fence! But I do think they make the Venture look better. I think???:puzzled:

I took mine off. I think the front end looks better on the Venture without them. I bought my bike used and whoever installed the lights installed them as the manual says to do and tapped into the headlight circuit. When the driving lights were on, the headlight dimmed considerably and light output was actually decreased. I also took them off because I was tired of removing them to get inside the fairing.

Look at bikes coming at you on the road. Day or night and see how the ones with driving lights show up better. I ordered mine when I bought the bike and would not be with out them. One of the best safety items on the front of my bike.Taking them off to split the fairing is not that bad.Lay a towel on the fender to rest them on two bolts and they are off. MOUNT them.........:thumbsup:

Having highway lamps on is safer for you the rider..

With three lights on facing the oncoming traffic, you're a bigger blob of light approaching them... even if you don't think these additional 30w lights add more light to the road, but to the oncoming traffic, you look big.. and remember, in the world of survival, to look big means better chances of catching someone's attention..

My Philips headlight alone outshines my highway lamps by far so I don't really even notice the additional light but I feel a little safer that the wider blob of light catches more attention.. (as reported by others)..

And never allow anyone to wire your highway lamps into your headlight wiring.. I almost suffered a disaster this past summer when my headlight went out and it took out my highway lights as the same time.. right in the middle of a nice sharp turn in a darkened area of the highway.. Luckily for me I know the road well and quickly snapped on my 4 way hazard lights.. which showed me "guardrail, no guardrail.. guardrail, yellow line.. flash flash..." until I could pull the bike over. A quick fuse change got me going again and the next day I got my lights rewired.. Scary stuff that.. wow.

Being able to see better at night outweighs any cons as far as I'm concerned. Especially as thick as the deer are around here. I actually changed mine to 4.5 inch headlights so I have 2 more high beams. Makes a world of difference when looking for those critters at night.

Wow, Buddy....do you have a high output stator on your bike? What are the wattage ratings of those 4.5 inch headlights?

Joe

i think the bike looks better

increased visibility during day and night

35w lamps don't hurt too much with the stock electrical system....my system is upgraded with a bigger stator and i run 50 watters which put a pull on the system when i run heated clothes

use a relay...don't wire through the ignition switch...

use a spacer sold on this site ( carbon one ) for mounting if you want easier access to your fairing...it does push the lamps out ahead of the headlight...i'm not crazy about that look but i'm always inside my fairing doing something so i accept the look in exchange for easier access

I've had mine on about a year and I like them very much. I don't have them on during the day but I insist on burning them at night as it REALLY improves the amount of light I have to drive by. I pulled power for my driving lights straight from the battery, through a fuse then through a relay and then to the lights. I don't have any issues with anything dimming when I turn them on. I've heard all the charging issues some have had but I have never had a problem.