IGNORED

Passing Lights vs No Passing Lights

I think there is more good reasons to add the driving/passing lights than bad.

If they are installed correctly...not like the instructions say...you will never have any trouble.

sure they are a son of a gun to remove when you have to split the faring...but how often is that. Make sure you install a relay to carry the load of the new lights...

I ordered the stand off bracket for mine so I could split the faring with out having to remove the lights...I did not like the way the lights were pushed out and the lower deflectors were away from the front forks so I removed the extra bracket and changed the bolts that attach the lights. I split my faring many times installing different accessories when I first got it but now I think I have settled down and do not expect to have to remove it.

I split the faring in a hotel parking lot with just a few hand tools while on a trip once, due to some problems with my accessories. My friends that were riding with me were amazed that it was so easy to take off and put back on so easy.

Don't worry about...put the lights on and be safer.

:fingers crossed:

I bought my bike used and whoever installed the lights installed them as the manual says to do and tapped into the headlight circuit. When the driving lights were on, the headlight dimmed considerably and light output was actually decreased. I also took them off because I was tired of removing them to get inside the fairing.

I installed mine as per the included instructions, with no relay and to the main 12v line for the headlights (so they stay on with both high and low beams) and have not noticed any dimming of the headlight.

I also added the spacer, so you do not have to remove them to split the fairing. I think my bike looks much better with them.

I just ordered the Kuryakyn accessory switches that mount over the brake reservoir and will be wiring the highway light into that so its easier to reach than the one by the power outlet.. 3 switches, one for the highway light so when I have to idle through slow traffic for a loooong time I can easily turn them off.. and have a light to indicate when they are on or off.. (nice for day time).. The other switch would be for the garage door opener and the third? Hmmmmm

I just ordered the Kuryakyn accessory switches that mount over the brake reservoir and will be wiring the highway light into that so its easier to reach than the one by the power outlet.. 3 switches, one for the highway light so when I have to idle through slow traffic for a loooong time I can easily turn them off.. and have a light to indicate when they are on or off.. (nice for day time).. The other switch would be for the garage door opener and the third? Hmmmmm

I am looking at that for controlling accessory LED light strips. I'll be interested in your experience, so take pics! :)

Dave

I am looking at that for controlling accessory LED light strips. I'll be interested in your experience, so take pics! :)

Dave

Well that's a thought lol.. I have tons of LEDs from previous bikes and projects, why not lite 'er up good.. LOL..

Around here, law states you can't "ride with BLUE or RED lighting" on your vehicle.. the cops would hate a motorcycle to be confused with an emergency vehicle.. yuh huh..

Luckily for me, Ultra Violet looks great and subtle on a black bike.. hehehe or amber.. Hmmmm

I took mine off. I think the front end looks better on the Venture without them. I bought my bike used and whoever installed the lights installed them as the manual says to do and tapped into the headlight circuit. When the driving lights were on, the headlight dimmed considerably and light output was actually decreased. I also took them off because I was tired of removing them to get inside the fairing.

Just the opposite for me. I think the bike looks much better with the lights on. Plus they are a safety item.

Well that's a thought lol.. I have tons of LEDs from previous bikes and projects, why not lite 'er up good.. LOL..

Around here, law states you can't "ride with BLUE or RED lighting" on your vehicle.. the cops would hate a motorcycle to be confused with an emergency vehicle.. yuh huh..

Luckily for me, Ultra Violet looks great and subtle on a black bike.. hehehe or amber.. Hmmmm

Not to hijack this thread, but if you do light it up, how about pics? LOL Or better, wiring ideas. I was thinking of using a fob remote for main LEDs, and adding some strobes on the switch. For when it is parked, you understand. Or parades. I'm not sure of where power comes and goes using the K switch. Controller under seat means power from battery to front and then back to battery?

Dave

Edited by Dave77459
uh, typo.

Not to hijack this thread, but if you do light it up, how about pics? LOL Or better, wiring ideas. I was thinking of using a fob remote for main LEDs, and adding some strobes on the switch. For when it is parked, you understand. Or parades. I'm not sure of where power comes and goes using the K switch. Controller under seat means power from battery to front and then back to battery?

Dave

When I have the project completed I'll be able to provide some pics.. The installation is very simple.. wire off a hot lead from the battery, the other to ground.. a switch in between with a fuse inline somewhere.. doesn't draw a lot of juice from the battery.. When I had this installed on the VStar I purposely left the 24 LED lights on for 36 hours and the bike was able to start no probs..

Key fob switch is fun to have, you can have pretty girls 'clap on clap off' your bike lights while you're standing aside.. too cute..

Just do it! I love mine for all of the mentioned reasons, and also have found that removing them to split the fairing is really no sweat. All you need is to remember a towel to keep from scratching anything. The increased visibility PLUS the way the lights enhance the look of the front made it one of my most favored upgrades.:happy34:

[ATTACH]39802[/ATTACH]

Edited by yamadawg
add photo...