IGNORED

Passing Lamps...Why?

Probably a dumb question...but are passing lamps for additional lighting, or are they for use just when passing...(Don't laugh too hard). :smilies6:

Also...are they worth cost? And if installed by the dealer at time of purchase...if I request they be installed with a relay...will the dealer laugh at me.

Thanks,

Wally

Probably a dumb question...but are passing lamps for additional lighting, or are they for use just when passing...(Don't laugh too hard). :smilies6:

Also...are they worth cost? And if installed by the dealer at time of purchase...if I request they be installed with a relay...will the dealer laugh at me.

Thanks,

Wally

It is only dumb if If you have a question and don't ask. No one can know everything, although when you talk to me, you'd get the impression that I do. :whistling:

I know there is a reason they are called passing lamps, I mean legally. But they are "ditch lamps" to me. The light up the edge of the roadway and beyond, in a sort of wide angle. They don't throw a lot of light OUT far, but they the light up a wide path closer in. I like them at night because they help me see deer.

The stock headlamp was puny. When I put it on high-beam, it would light up farther down the road and not very wide. The Silverstar Ultra I am running now casts nearly as wide a beam as the passing lamps, and when it is on high-beam I can see way down the road.

But night-use is not the only reason I use passing lamps. I believe that the eye can detect direction of movement much better when there are a triangle of lights. I think people can tell what I am doing better when I run the passing lamps, even during the day.

(FWIW, I added running lights to my rear turn stalks for the same reason. That single run/stop light just doesn't cut it.)

My final reason for running passing lamps is as back up to my headlamp. If it pops while I am out at night, I have two back-ups.

I consider passing lamps essential safety chrome. :)

AFA the dealer and the relay, I brought in an OEM lamp kit I bought on eBay. There was no discussion of how to wire it up... I simply didn't know enough. IMO, they wired it wrong. When the headlamp fuse went, I was dark up front.

If I did it again now, and was buying the lamps from the dealer, I'd ask them to wire it with a relay. If they said they wouldn't, I'd be inclined to tell them to just leave a wiring bundle in the headlamp and do it myself. Getting the wires to the harness is the hard part, and they can do that. I don't need to pay them beyond that since I'd redo it myself. More than likely, they'd simply not know how to do it, but that can be fixed.

My $.02.

Dave

Actually, in this State, the law only allows a motor vehicle to have one auxiliary / passing lamp....:2cents:
I have them and they were installed at the dealership when the bike was new. There's a toggle switch on the faring right beside the cigarette lighter. I leave them on all the time though for all the reasons listed before both night and day. I had no idea about this sort of law. Does that mean I will get pulled if I ride through with them on? That would seen a bit stupid since most of your larger HD's have the same three light setup.

For me the "passing lights" (I have no idea why they are called that) are a safety feature. I figure the more opportunity I have to be seen by others on the road, the more likely I am to avoid a collision. I did not say fail safe...just more likely. Anything that helps me to get home safely is okay in my book. I had them put on at purchase...they run all the time. After purchase I had the "SOMA" lights installed in the back end of the bike. Helps immensely.

:thumbsup2: :missingtooth:

If I were you, installing the lights yourself is fairly simple. That way you can save money and get a proper job. Dealers do it the fastest way possible and that spells future disaster. I have repaired many dealer install electrical items for my friends and crimp fittings are mostly the problem. The details for the relay is in the tech forums and a soldering iron costs little. And by installing the whole thing, you will know how to drop the pass lights to take off the front fairing.

:farmer:

I use my Passing Lamps day and night. (if my dang Lamps would only work soon)...Oh yes, it definitely makes you more noticeable out there with more lights in front of you. Sitting in the parking lot...it sure makes the Venture look sexy. Ride Safe.

My question may be for nothing...I am wondering if the Venture-S already has passing lights?

And what are ALL the differences besides COLOR between the Venture models (Venture vs Venture-S)?

Thanks,

Wally

More things are chrome ... like the front forks, brake & clutch lever mounting hardware, etc...

I can tell you the reason they're called passing lamps. Unless I missed it, no one answered that part. In some states, a motorcycle can have only two headlights. Therefore, to get around that the additional lights are called something else, hence passing lamps.

I can tell you the reason they're called passing lamps. Unless I missed it, no one answered that part. In some states, a motorcycle can have only two headlights. Therefore, to get around that the additional lights are called something else, hence passing lamps.

Then why not call them driving lights? I've seen a different explanation, but not here yet. :)

Dave

Then why not call them driving lights? I've seen a different explanation, but not here yet. :)

Dave

Just a different company name. They're called different names by different company, but yes, it really doesn't matter they're still aux lights.

Wally,

Lots of good info, and a few rants :whistling: here on this thread. I believe that they are called passing lights as they are supposed to be used in conjunction with your high beams. When you go to pass another vehicle many time folks will flash their brights to let the driver know he is about to be passed. Myself, reguardless of the name, I call them driving lights. I have had additional "Driving Lights" on every Venture I have owned. For me it was a matter of need as I wanted more lighting up front as I left for work at 5am and it was always dark out. I lived in a heavily deer populated area and wanted all the extra fwd lighting I could get. My lights are always angled just slightly off to either side and properly aimed from maximum illumination.

It also serves as more lights to be seen in the daytime by drivers. I have mine set up in a triangular fashion as it catched the eye a lot faster. It's all about being seen or seeing a problem before it arises. I know it's been said about legality of it all with running 3 lights, but I'm not going to give some nimrod the excuse of "I didn't see him" as they bring my dead body to my spouse. I have NEVER been pulled over by any LEO for running with my "Driving Lights" and high beam on :2cents:

I have NEVER been pulled over by any LEO for running with my "Driving Lights" and high beam on :2cents:

I agree with what you said. However, I have turned off my passing lamps when I took my bike in for inspection. LEOs know about being safe, whereas inspectors know about pushing paper. IMO.

Dave

I have noticed while waiting for traffic to clear

At night A motorcycle with a single head light

While riding at night in front of a car at the right angle

the motorcycle blocking your view of one headlight on the car

looks like a car with 2 headlights never see the motorcycle

I passing lights in this situation changes everything

:2cents:

Dave.........

..... I have NEVER been pulled over by any LEO for running with my "Driving Lights" and high beam on :2cents:

Its not against the law using auxillary lights and high beam headlights together. There is nothing on the books in this State. Most manufacturers designs them to be used with the low bean because they fugure you're not going to see them with high beams. The term passing lights are from an old expression used many many years ago, that went away with the Model A's. It is one of them laws that is not enforced and our legislators never removed it from the books. Any extra lighting on a bike is safer, and even the manufacturers realized that because now most new cars are equiped with daytime running lights.....:2cents: