IGNORED

My Venture just decided to be out up for the winter.

Flyinfool

Oh well

Right in the middle of one of the nicest weather fall seasons I can remember, my venture just decided that it is time to go to bed for the winter.

Getting ready to leave work, in a dark empty secluded parking lot behind the plant I hit the start button and got a god awful clunk instead of a start. Tried the starter again and got another heavy clunk but at least this time it grabbed and started. whew.

So I rode the 1 hour home all the while worrying and trying to figure out what was wrong with my baby.

As soon as I got home I came on here and searched for starter clunk and low and behold was thread after thread describing my problem to a T.

So now the scoot has gone night night for the winter, till spring when I can get to work on installing the new starter clutch And of course while I have it apart I need to look at the clutch to see why it has started slipping at full throttle.

Maybe I'll have to round up some vittles for the grill and see if help shows up.:fingers-crossed-emo

Oh my poor baby.....:crying:

Jeff,

If you can get it up here sometime this winter, we can work on these difficulties in the heated mancave. I'll just need to move my son's drum set out of the way to make room.

RR

I might just have to take you up on that.

Of course It will come with some more of that dead deer sausage or.......:rudolf:

But it can not be till I get my tax return back.

I know that I can bum a trailer for the trip if it wont start or the weather is bad.

Thanks for the offer.

I might just have to take you up on that.

Of course It will come with some more of that dead deer sausage or.......:rudolf:

But it can not be till I get my tax return back.

I know that I can bum a trailer for the trip if it wont start or the weather is bad.

Thanks for the offer.

Hopefully, I will have fresh venison soon. Heading out in the morning to whack herbivors. Seen several fresh scraps in the area of my stands so hoping for good luck.

RR

If you're interested in fixing that starter clutch with the best upgrade around (actually the ONLY upgrade), then let me know and I can tell you about it. I'll be making a post here in the next week or so when things settle down a little around here explaining it all. To put it mildly, it'll be the last time you even THINK about having a problem with your starter gear!

Dano

Hey Dano,

Looking forward to that post :thumbsup2: All this talk has got me worried 'cause the mechanic's at Yamaha dealer over here haven't worked much on the Venture and I always get "will have to look it up" so nice to know you will be my long distance mechanic :clap2:Mind you--I'm married to a handy kinda fella too :thumbsup2: (as long as he has tech info)

So thanks to all who post tech stuff :You_Rock_Emoticon:

So, my understanding of this is that the starter doesn't engage properly? Meaning that if you can start the bike without using the starter, it will run fine. If that is the case you could always push start it and still get some riding in :)

I did that with a wing for about 2 months... :happy34:

• 1 month later...

Dano

Did you ever make that post about the Starter clutch upgrade?

I couldn't find it.

We are having a heatwave here, the temp is actually supposed to get above freezing for a whole weekend. :scorched:

I may actually go out and start working on this starter clutch, this weekend so that I can get my shopping list in order.

Dano

Did you ever make that post about the Starter clutch upgrade?

I couldn't find it.

We are having a heatwave here, the temp is actually supposed to get above freezing for a whole weekend. :scorched:

I may actually go out and start working on this starter clutch, this weekend so that I can get my shopping list in order.

I'm sorry, I'm not Dano and No, i didn't see the Post he mentioned above. But i could answer most of your Questions in the Meantime. I know a bit or two about the Mod.

The stock Starter Clutch is a one Way Clutch which uses three spring loaded Rollers the connect to the big 72th Gear Wheel which is the last Gear in the line of several Gears coming from the Stater Motor.

These 3 Rollers connect (in Fact they run) to the inner Area of the Wheel by spring Force and clamping Force. This whole Assembly sits in a Housing which is bolted to the Flywheel with 3 Bolt in M8 Thread. Over Time, these Bolts tend to get a little bit loose plus the Rollers and the Surface they're running at develop some flat Spots and chattering Marks too.

This is the common Scenario where the Problem starts to get heard.

If the Battery is cold and/or isn't in the best Shape anymore, the Rollers can't "bite" strong enough to the connecting Area and the Clutch lets go for a half a Turn. If The Rollers bite on a chattering Mark or a flat Spot the Connection they may hold on or let loose again. This Movement creates the hammering Sound and puts a Lot of more Force on the loose Bolts. This, of Course, allows even more uncontrolled Movement of the Clutch Assembly and a even more dysfunctional Clutch. As an nasty Side Effect, the Clutch can, and i know of two Cases where it actually did, cause the Starter to act as an Generator because the One Way Clutch wasn't a Clutch anymore but a solid Connection. This caused the Starter Motor to burn down on both Cases. I suspect a Lot more of these Cases, but there's not enough reliable Data for me to make a final Call.

I've seen a Lot of these Clutches and not one of them was even partially reusable. I have Buddies which tried to reuse some Parts, but they did the Job twice or even three Times in the End. I know a Bunch of Guys with heavily modified Engines, meaning 1500 cc Vmaxxes at least, and each and everybody of them had their Share of Head Ache in this Regard. The Record Holder of those is the Guy with a 1600 cc High Compression Motor who needed three complete Starter Clutch Assemblies each Season.

So, in the End, you have two Options to get the Job done

First Option is to buy a complete Set of new Parts, not just the small Set of Rollers, Springs, Caps, but also three Bolts, the Housing and the 72th Wheel, mount the Assembly exactly in centered Position to the Fly Wheel, red Loctite the Threads of the Bolts and don't forget to punch the End of Threads with a Center Punch. Then cross your Fingers, say a Prayer or both and hit the Starter Button after completing the Install. Feel good about the cheap (around 185 Bucks for the Parts) Repair but you need to keep the Procedure in Mind, because most likely you'll do that again some Time later.

Or

Second Option

Send your Rotor over to Dano in a 12x10x5 Inch Package, get it back with the Gaskets, don't worry about having the Clutch Assembly mounted exactly centered to the Flywheel, just mount the Rotor and the new 72th Wheel and have a good Time while being a happy Camper.

This is because Dano will mount a much more sophisticated Clutch Assembly, which uses 18 Ellipses instead of three Rollers. The Ellipsis are spring loaded too and because of their Shape, not only bite at the 72th Wheel, but lock up the Connection between Rotor and 72th Wheel. Because of the ellipsoid Design, you won't need to worry about burning down your Starter Motor. I sure you weren't worried about that before, but it's good to be sure anyway. Not to mention, getting the Flywheel off the Crank Shaft can be a ... well ... how do it say this ... pita ...

Yes, this Upgrade is more expensive than Option 1 and it will need a little bit more of Downtime because of the Transit Times of the Parcel. But you'll be a happy Camper and never think about the Starter Clutch Issue again. Oh, except maybe the Times somebody tells you his 1Gen or Vmax produces a hammering Sound upon starting ...

Thanks Squeeze, Option 2 sounds like a much better option.

Now we need Dano to chime in with the rest of the info for cost, turn around time, and where to send it.

I have applications that I use the type of clutch that you are referring to that have to "slip" at 20,000rpm yet lock up rite now with no slip allowed.

Second question,

I have seen many posts on the starter clutch refer to the 72th gear, the parts breakdown refers to it as a 76T gear (Item 6 on the parts breakdown in the tech library). Which is it, or are we talking two different parts?

Edited by Flyinfool