So I've put about 2000 miles on my 86 in the last six weeks. I LIKE IT! Alot more bike than an 83. But since I've only owned 83's (5) I have a few questions.

1. RPM. I'm at 4000 at 70 mph. Is that right? Seems high

2. Gas milage I'm only getting about 32mpg. I got about 40 on the 83's

3. Are the stator and clutch the same as the 83?

4. Fork tubes. Are the 86 and 83 the same?

5. Is the exhaust the same?

6. What is the BEST clutch setup to put in an 86. I ride hard with lots of weight and trailer

Thanx for your help oh great venture guru's :missingtooth:

Hey Dan,

The RPM's are right for the MKII. As far as the MPG's, you need to look at the Carb. Diaphragms and do the Needle shim mod for better MPG's. I now have NYLON spacers made up for the Needle Shim MOD that replace the stock spacers and give you the better gas mileage. PM me if you are interested. The stator is oil cooled on the MKII, The clutch discs are the same. I have always had good luck with the stock Yamaha clutch discs, I do have the 87'VR double springed, and I am SURE I run my bike harder then you do. Never a slip. The exhaust pipes are shorter on the MKI. The front forks have the electronic anti-dive on the MKII, the MKI has hydraulic anti-dive. Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Earl

So I've put about 2000 miles on my 86 in the last six weeks. I LIKE IT! Alot more bike than an 83. But since I've only owned 83's (5) I have a few questions.

6. What is the BEST clutch setup to put in an 86. I ride hard with lots of weight and trailer

I also ride an '86 but I can't answer all the questions. I'm sure others will chime in.

1. Seems a tad high. Does it have a speedo healer? The speedometer is not accurate. I turn about 3650-3700 at 70 (going by memory or is it memory is going).

2. 32 mpg is what I usually get unless I'm in the mountains/twisties going 40 or so.

3. I believe the stator is the same. Don't know on the clutch.

4. Forks are different because of the anti-dive on the later models but they are interchangable.

That's about all the help I can be.

Dave

That's about the same as my '83,

Sould be better. Try sync plus waht Earl mentioned

Stators the same but the clutch spring and boss are differnt on the MKII. The clutch cover is also different.

AntiDives's are hydralic on the MKI and electrical on the MKII

Yes, but slight difference in the mounting tabs. MKII's have spring hooks to allow turn down tips to be added.

Stock plates and discs. Barnet clutch conversion to coil springs, or double up on disc springs.

Hope this helps....

Actually, the MK1 and early Mk2 '86 - '88 are pretty much interchangeable, and the EAD's bolt up the same as the hydraulic if I remember correctly from last winter's project...

If the EAND valves are interchangeable with the standard ones on my 83, I would be very interested in changing these.

A problem I have with the 83-85 system is that with the split brake system, if you only apply either the front or the rear brake then the anti dive is only activated on the one side thus causing the forks to operate different from each other. This is due to the anti dives being hydraulically operated on the 83 to 85 models and the right and left valves are not tied in any way.

The 86-93 ones could be activated by adding a relay to the brake light system to control them, which is the same method of control as the 86-93 versions.

:fingers-crossed-emo :lightbulb:

A problem I have with the 83-85 system is that with the split brake system, if you only apply either the front or the rear brake then the anti dive is only activated on the one side thus causing the forks to operate different from each other. This is due to the anti dives being hydraulically operated on the 83 to 85 models and the right and left valves are not tied in any way.

That's an interesting observation, and one I hadn't thought of before. The only thing I can add is that when lightly braking there isn't a hole lot of dive, and when I'm in hard stop mode everything is getting squeezed and stomped on... Takes care of that one sided operation.... Also on my '83 the forks have been swapped out for a set from an '86, along with Progressive springs, and I didn't feel the need to wire the AD's up. With the added R1 calipers it's makes a very nice set up.