IGNORED

Ys gotta be kidding me.....

Condor

Thats when you make him an offer for the whole deal including shipping. I have to say that that, to me, really only does look cosmetic. That ear wouldn't have had to have a hard fall to break off like that, and it might have had something dropped on it. I would dare say would probably still be sealed and hold oil. If that could be picked up and shipped for $75 ( I would opt for the driveshaft not being sent) that could be a good deal to swap the gears into your own pumpkin. Which would be great for 2nd genner who really only wants the gears

:2cents:

Thats when you make him an offer for the whole deal including shipping. I have to say that that, to me, really only does look cosmetic. That ear wouldn't have had to have a hard fall to break off like that, and it might have had something dropped on it. I would dare say would probably still be sealed and hold oil. If that could be picked up and shipped for $75 ( I would opt for the driveshaft not being sent) that could be a good deal to swap the gears into your own pumpkin. Which would be great for 2nd genner who really only wants the gears

:2cents:

I donno Brad. Seems like a lot of work even for $75 bucks when there are a half dozen other finals for that price on Ebay right now. $100 + $31 over charge shipping, and expecting a bid is LaLa time.....

I donno Brad. Seems like a lot of work even for $75 bucks when there are a half dozen other finals for that price on Ebay right now. $100 + $31 over charge shipping, and expecting a bid is LaLa time.....

I can dig where your coming from Jack, that one would be a decent donor for the G2's. I believe as the speedo sensor in the pig would need to be addressed. Just because he asks $100 doesn't mean he'll get it, you know that as well as I. As far as the shipping, I agree, very stupid of him as that will turn buyers right off. I'm never about not making an offer as a little of something can be better than all of nothing

:)

I have an 83. I have posted before and would really like gearing that worked better at highway speeds. My 5th gear works great on the highway, but I am up in the high 3000's to 4000 and get 35 mph at 70-75. Could I change my final drive out to something that made more sense for the highway? I know the bikes are quick and all, but that is really not my thing. I'm interested in better mileage and lower rpm's for the highway.

Thanks,

bob

Bob,

I haven't heard of any gearing that Yamaha makes for dropping the rpms on the 1st gen Venture. Some folks (including myslef) have thought about changing the gearset from the stock one to a set from a 2nd gen as it has better gearing for dropping the rpms (5th gear in a G2 is a true higway gear) Other than that I dont know of any other way to drop the rpms on a 1st gen at highway speeds.

I have an 83. I have posted before and would really like gearing that worked better at highway speeds. My 5th gear works great on the highway, but I am up in the high 3000's to 4000 and get 35 mph at 70-75. Could I change my final drive out to something that made more sense for the highway? I know the bikes are quick and all, but that is really not my thing. I'm interested in better mileage and lower rpm's for the highway.

Thanks,

bob

I kinda question your thinking that lowering the rpm will give you better milage on your 1stGen??? At 70-75mph, 35mpg is in the normal range. My '83 gets 38. But.... if I slow down to 60-65 it will get up to 42-43mpg, but who wants to do that... :). Slow way down and run the twisties... 2nd-3rd-and maybe forth gear on occasion, and the milage will jump up to 50mpg. And I'm not the only one here who has discovered this. Wind resistance is the big enemy of higher mpg's. Increase your resistence effect by lowering your r's at the top end and your mpg will decrease, not get better. You have to twist that throttle more to maintain the higher speeds, or basically you will be lugging the engine more. My 2 cents....

Condor,

I'm not an expert on motors so don't bury me. I'll give you my logic on why I think a "bigger" gear would increase my gas mileage. If an engine is running at 3000 rpm's isn't it taking in the same amount of gas into the pistons per revolution? If it is in 2nd gear running 3000 rpm's and I'm going 30 or whatever or it is in 5th gear going 3000 rpms going 55mph I would still be using the same gas per rpm. It doesn't use more gas per rpm does it? So the gear allows me to go a further distance per rpm. The 1983 was geared for the laws for a 55 mph speed limit. It seems perfect for going 60. It just seems like it would be perfect if it had one more gear that could run down the highway at 3000 rpms and get some good gas mileage.

If my logic is off I would love to hear it.

Bob

Condor,

I'm not an expert on motors so don't bury me. I'll give you my logic on why I think a "bigger" gear would increase my gas mileage. If an engine is running at 3000 rpm's isn't it taking in the same amount of gas into the pistons per revolution? If it is in 2nd gear running 3000 rpm's and I'm going 30 or whatever or it is in 5th gear going 3000 rpms going 55mph I would still be using the same gas per rpm. It doesn't use more gas per rpm does it? So the gear allows me to go a further distance per rpm. The 1983 was geared for the laws for a 55 mph speed limit. It seems perfect for going 60. It just seems like it would be perfect if it had one more gear that could run down the highway at 3000 rpms and get some good gas mileage.

If my logic is off I would love to hear it.

Bob

Think of it this way Bob. 3000rpm climbing up a hill, and 3000rpm coasting down. Same RPM...vastly different MPG. Fuel consumption per stroke is not always equal. It depends on the resistence, or how hard the motor has to work to maintain a given RPM. A taller final will cause the engine to work harder the faster you go, due to wind resistence.

Dear Condor,

I appreciate the reference to going up and down hills and wind resistance, but doesn't all that come off the table? I'm saying that going down the highway at 75 mph at 4000 rpms would be less efficient than going down the highway at 75 mph at 3000 RPM on a Gen 1 if it were possible. Maybe the issue in my head is that the final drive impacts the motor from 1 mph to top speed. Maybe what I really wish I had was a different top gear in the transmission. I appreciate you taking the time to discuss. I know barely enough to be dangerous.

Condor's right for our Engines. And for most Engines too.

Engineers measure Fuel Consumption of a specific Motor in Consumption per kw used in a specified Time. The Formula would be gal/kwh or gal./hph.

If you see the Curve on a Sheet you typically will find a hyperbolic Curve with the lowest Point of the Curve somewhere in the middle of the kw(x-Axis). The relative Consumption is bigger at lower and higher Power. I added a Sheet which i found on the Internet. Take a look at the upper Curve.

http://www.toni-clark.com/bilder/motoren/zg20/ZG20_Verbrauch_e.gif

So if you run your Motor at higher Speeds and forcing the Motor to a lower RpM, you will need more Power to maintain Speed, thus using more Fuel. Since Power IS always RpM-related, you will hurt your Mileage when your "lugging" the Motor, because at lower RpM, the Motor isn't able to produce as much Power as needs to maintain Speed at a low Fuel Consumption.

I just recently put a bigger rear tire on my Virago which dropped the cruising RPM about 2-300 and seem to be getting 10-15 km less per tank. There could possibly be other issues causing the loss but I was watching closely since I was expecting to get better mileage and got less. Not very scientific but a probable real world confirmation of what Condor and Squeeze are saying.

Dear Condor,

I appreciate the reference to going up and down hills and wind resistance, but doesn't all that come off the table? .

Nope... they are real life scenerios. Best thing you can do to help out in your thinking is give the taller final a try and report back your results.

I'd be interested in your findings.....

My desire is to go to a V Max rear end and the 2nd gen gear set in my 83. !st gear would probably be lower and 5th would be a bit higher, not as high as a stock 2nd gen, which seems to me to be a bit too high, unless you live on flat land.

The big difference would be gear spacing.

I feel the same way on my bike about running down the highway at 4,000 rpm's when it seems like there is plenty of torque to pull the bike if it just had one more gear. I do agree with the gas mileage theory in that having to give it more throttle to maintain highway speed, even at a lower rpm will not improve gas mileage.

I have a 79 El Camino that came with a 2.42 rear end stock with a 305 and 350 turbo transmission. When I pull out with the slightly built 327 in it, if feels like the trans started out in 2nd. I really need about a 3:54 or 3:73 rearend with a four speed automatic with lock up to make it right. This is a case where lower gearing would still improve gas mileage.

RandyA

Bob,

I haven't heard of any gearing that Yamaha makes for dropping the rpms on the 1st gen Venture. Some folks (including myslef) have thought about changing the gearset from the stock one to a set from a 2nd gen as it has better gearing for dropping the rpms (5th gear in a G2 is a true higway gear) Other than that I dont know of any other way to drop the rpms on a 1st gen at highway speeds.

I actually have the gearing from a 2nd Gen motor and a vmax rear end. I was going to do this if gas had remained at $4+ bucks a gallon. Should give slightly lower 1st with 2-4 virtually the same as 1st Gen and then a 500 rpm decrease in 5th from 1st Gen, but it is a major job to do this just havent got arounds to doing it yet. Got the rear end for 5 bucks but the guy got 70 bucks shipping which irritated me.

I just recently put a bigger rear tire on my Virago which dropped the cruising RPM about 2-300 and seem to be getting 10-15 km less per tank.

Are you accounting for the fact with the larger rear tire you are actually traveling further than the miles indicated on the odometer?:think:

Are you accounting for the fact with the larger rear tire you are actually traveling further than the miles indicated on the odometer?:think:
The new and larger E3 is on the rear with the old BS Spitfire II on the front, so there has been no change to the ratio on the speedo drive that comes off the front wheel.

The xv1100 always seemed to be over geared so I was surprised to find there was no increase in mileage. The larger tire dropped the RPMs in 5th at 60 MPH to about 3500 from 3850. Pretty much lost a gear in town at 30 MPH and at 60 MPH and 3500 the engine does not feel very torquey, I believe max torque is reached at 3000 and max HP is at 6000. It feels real good at 80 MPH and approx 4200 RPM.

It's quite possible there are unknown issues that may account for the lower mileage. The bike has been on the road since the first week of Feb as a daily driver, living outside with minimal maintenance. It would not be surprising if there was some electrical degradation due to gobbed up connectors. That will be taken care of during the winter layup which started 2 days ago and will last until early Feb. I'll post an update to this thread likely by the end of Feb.

I guess the only other thing is how comparable the 60 HP Virago is to the 98 HP Venture.