IGNORED

Rust a problem?

SevenFour

I am considering a 2006 RSV with about 16,000 miles and always garage kept. It is located right on the Gulf Coast. Do you think rust could be a problem? In a car I would be a little leery about rust developing sooner rather that later, but what about a bike? Is there anything extra that should be checked on the visual inspection prior to purchase?

Thanks for your input!

Mel Griffin

SevenFour

Well, you could pull off the seat and take the gas tank off for a better look, but the bike is only 3 years old and not driven much, so I don't think that would be a problem.

Also it is warrantied for 5 years with unlimited miles so that's something to think about. The frame and fenders are pretty much the only steel, everything else is either aluminum or plastic...

As long as the bike was maintained, rust shouldnt be an issue. I live in Jacksonville FL right off the St Johns river and a few miles off the ocean. Other than a few specks of rust hiding in some welds it has not been an issue. If the guy left it outside all the time and didnt keep it waxed and polished then maybe. Same goes for the electrics. Mine is 10 years old and I just went through a bunch of electrical issues but most of the connections were in good shape. A few had some corrosion but that was taken care of with some elbow grease and dialectric grease.

Welcome to the site, Mel!!!!

I am very excited about you getting a RSV. Now I won't have to call you "my Suzuki buddy"!

I also agree that rust/corrosion should not be a problem. These bikes are designed for more of an all weather operation than cars with the wireing inside.

Good hunting...Hopeing to hear which one you are getting, soon.

Alan, I too am excited about getting on a Venture soon. I am leaving tomorrow to fly to IAH then to GPT or MOB to view the 06 RSMV. If all checks out I will return by Thursday on the bike.

Monty, I ride all year. If the weather is nice in January, I ride as long as there is no ice on the roads or a ton of dry salt piled everywhere. But you're right, rust is usually a problem for vehicles here at some point in time because of the salt on the roads. The current owner assures me there is no problem with rust now so I guess I'll deal with whatever comes down the road.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/images/smilies/fingers-crossed-emoticon.gif

Mel

If all checks out I will return by Thursday on the bike.

According to the weatherman, you might wanna put your return trip off to maybe Friday or Saturday. Suppose to be rainy:crying: down here all week, but pretty for the weekend. :dancefool:

BTW :welcome1: to the asylum!!!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::ORANGE:

I bought it and rode home. Walt, I know exactly what you were saying about the weather. Unfortunately I had obligations both Friday and Saturday --- so I took my rain suit, and I wore it the whole way home. I had one stretch of about one hour that was totally dry, the rest of the time it was misting if I was lucky and raining when I wasn't.

I almost got an Iron Butt. Rode 1033 miles from Tuesday evening at 5:00p.m. until Wednesday at 9:00p.m. I just value my sleep too much I guess. :rain2:

Glad U and Bobby closed the deal and you're happy with your purchase. U got one helluva good buy. Was waiting 4 U 2 post your safe return home.

I tried 2 get him 2 sell it 2 me when he first got his trike, but he wanted 2 keep it. Ended up buying a new 08 RSV instead. The bike is good as new IMHO, Bobby takes good care of his stuff. Enjoy...

Tom